Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It used to really freak me out when I first got Flea. So much so, that I brought her to the vet...but he said if it was a collapsing trachea, she would have other symptoms and a tap on her throat would cause her to start coughing..which it did not.

Her reverse sneeze is very intense...her whole tiny body heaves and it lasts up to a few minutes.

I have noticed that it will happen when she is either very excited or after she drinks water. When it happens, I talk her to gently and rub her throat. But it really looks horrible! I have read to pinch their nostrils so they are forced to take in air - has anyone tried this? I can't bring myself to do it.

Last night, she did it for the first time in the middle of the night. Scared me a bit but by the morning, she was fine. How often do your dogs reverse sneeze? And how do you get them thru it? Have you noticed anything that really works? (I read a tip on the net..to take an eyedropper with water..and put a few drops in their mouth to make them swallow). Also..do you know if the reverse sneeze can also be caused by seasonal allergies?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Mikey has only done it a couple of times but it is very quick to be over. My friend Shanna has chi and she does it alot! Before I had Mikey I used to freak out when her doggie would do it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i think this is what zoey does sometimes but we haven't found out for sure. she seems to do it at random times so i think it might be allergies. when we touch her throat she doesn't do it so i don't think it's collapsing trachea. it IS scary though! her whole little body gets so tense and she looks like she's really in pain! but once it passes, she is fine.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I wonder if this is a Toy breed thing. My toy poodle who was very tiny too did this and I would try to calm her down and it did help. Someone told me if you blow on their face slowly it will stop them and give them air. I must have read that somewhere not sure. Anyway, my Lola does it too and so did my chi's when I was a kid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nat said:
It used to really freak me out when I first got Flea. So much so, that I brought her to the vet...but he said if it was a collapsing trachea, she would have other symptoms and a tap on her throat would cause her to start coughing..which it did not.

Her reverse sneeze is very intense...her whole tiny body heaves and it lasts up to a few minutes.

I have noticed that it will happen when she is either very excited or after she drinks water. When it happens, I talk her to gently and rub her throat. But it really looks horrible! I have read to pinch their nostrils so they are forced to take in air - has anyone tried this? I can't bring myself to do it.

Last night, she did it for the first time in the middle of the night. Scared me a bit but by the morning, she was fine. How often do your dogs reverse sneeze? And how do you get them thru it? Have you noticed anything that really works? (I read a tip on the net..to take an eyedropper with water..and put a few drops in their mouth to make them swallow). Also..do you know if the reverse sneeze can also be caused by seasonal allergies?
Harley which is a standard size Chi does it maybe once a week, depending. He usually does it when he gets really excited. You do what you are doing right now. Rub her throat and tell her "she's alright" It's scary I know!! I don't think I would want to try the hold the nose closed, to me that would make the trachea open but the rubbing of the throat does. Good luck! I just feel good that atleast we know what to do when he does it.

Does your baby have any problems with low blood sugar? Check out the topic regarding medicine cabinet (or something like that) there is a link that I put on there regarding reverse sneezing (or coughing) and also low blood sugar and alot lot more.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Ozzy has done it about once a month and lily has never done it - it is very scary and if ever it is going on for a long time and she looks like she is struggling to breathe you have to blow gently through their nose which will reinflate their trachea :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you for sharing that, I will have to try that if Harley does that for a long time. Hopefully I don't have to, but you never know. :wink:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo does it too, not alot but often enough and it is usually after water or excitement. I tried closing his nose but the tart doesnt open his mouth and he looks at me like why are you trying to kill me mom! So I dont do that anymore, I just let him be.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Chiquita does this if she gets really excited, and she struggles to get it unstuck, so I take her and plug up both her nostrils for about 4 seconds and she breathes through her mouth and opens it back up and she is fine.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
All 3 of my girls have done this, but Tia does it all the time after a drink of water or just from excitment. We clap our hands or call her name in a playing voice this usually stops it. We also rub her throat and have tried the covering her nose it has worked but, we found that distracting her works the best.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Yep here too. Auggie only does it when we come home from being gone because he is so excited or when he drinks water especcially after he has had a run run fit. His don't last long put it is so pitiful. :(

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Mr. Peepers does it atleast 3 times a week. Bruiser hasn't done once yet since he's been here. Mr. Peepers don't last long at all, so I don't do anything for him. I do call him though, to make sure he's o.k. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hope its ok reviving this old post but wanted to add a thanks note to everyone on dealing with this subject. Sunny had the worst bout with this today since Ive had him. He got very excited over a lessons game. He does it alot after drinking but this attack definatly halted the game and called for a time out.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I am glad you did revive this old post, because I had been meaning to ask about it too! Poppy does it every single day and at night too. She goes into spasms with it and looks really frightening, but the vet said it is very common with toy breeds and that you dont actually have to do anything, but of course i always pick her up and try to soothe and distract her. It is so scary though!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Richie also does it from time to time and it used to be quit ebad when he was sick. I tried covering the nose, but it didn't help. Also not rubbing th ethroat. It actually helps when I try to distract him, like bringing him a toy or talking to him or taking him in my arms...

Richie's mom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts