Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I bathe them every 3-4 weeks usually :) I use the Pure Paws line of shampoos/conditioners, they are the absolute best I've found. I started out using them just for my show dog and ended up getting some to use for the pets, too. They actually smell GOOD -- fresh and clean, some dog shampoos really irk me, they smell awful...too sweet, too fake, etc. etc. LOL all that to say I have no idea if you can even get Pure Paws over there or if you would want to spend that much on dog shampoo (it's about $15 per bottle, but you dilute it).

·
Registered
768 Posts
i usually bath mine when ever i think they need it... when i see lola`s fluff on her ears getting a bit greasy looking its time for a bath!
i usually use a bit of diluted baby shampoo, but u have to rinse it for ages because it feels like u havnt got it all out straight away x

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I don't bathe mine very often really. Maybe once every 1-2 months. I use the Cain and Able shampoo and conditioner line the most. :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I bathe my girls only once a month if not longer during the Winter. They are in doors and don't ever stink during the winter (to me!) During the Summer is a different story because we're always outside, at the park, in the river and boy after that river you def need a bath! LOL They slash in the mud and everything so Summer is much more bathing than Winter!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I use a vet recommended moisturizing shampoo called Hylite ($9.00). I love how it smells & how soft my chi is. Because it's kind of pricey, I don't think I'm going to buy anymore. I'll use Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

I, too give my chi a bath when she needs it. Not that much during winter (afraid of her catching a cold), but quite a bit during the summer. She's short hair.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I bathe Lyra whenever she rolls in something gross or otherwise manages to pick up a seriously funky stick, but that's usually only once every few months. I use the Earthbath shampoo 'Mango Tango' because I like that it uses natural ingredients and I really enjoy the way it smells.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I only bathe mine when they smell funky and I don't usually make an event of it. Usually Gretel gets a quick bath at the salon whenever her gland is expressed but other than that she really only gets a bath here and there.

G is a stinky little man sometimes, always eating things and getting into stuff so he gets one once a month or so.

I like the KONG moisture shampoo it's ~$8-9 depending, it smells good and lasts a while.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I use this kind because that's what the Petsmart people recommended when they helped me. I have only had Bella 3 weeks 1 day, and her sister for a day. I gave Bella a bath right when I got her, and she's due for one now. She has a medium coat though, so it's starting to look oily after 3 weeks. So I think I'll be bathing her about every 3 weeks or so.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I am getting the once a month if even that routine.

I gave Radley his first bath yesterday afternoon, and it went surprisingly well for a first time. He smells gorgeous now. I opted for the animology puppy shampoo as it seemed the best available.

He didnt sulk afterwards which was good, but did have a funny 5 minutes attacking the towel and rolling around on the floor. I doubt he will need doing again any time soon unless he gets dirty out on a walk.

Thanks for all your input :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
You can bath them too much and take the natural oils out of their coat,so i only bath when needed,good brushing every other day is good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts