Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to my vet to have my cats booster today. While I was there, I asked my vet (who is the boss of the practice and it's a big hospital, so I do trust the vets and have faith on them for treating any of my furries) about some questions about puppies. It's been quite a while since I have puppies and now I have 2 (one is a Chi), so I really need to refresh all my memories, besides there are so many new research and results out during the time.

In the past, I was told a puppy has to be at least just before their first season (girls) or 6 months old to be safe to get spaying. But now my vet told me they would do it at 5 months old. It's also better to have the girls done before their first season, the operation will be less complicated etc. I have never got Tobias done because the breeder I got him from wanted him as stud before, and besides I have got other things going on, just haven't got round to sort him out after that mating. But now I am worrying as I have a girl and a boy. I don't want to breed them. So that's the choice especially it's just fair to prevent both of them having health issues in later of life.

I originally thinking to get Tobias done next week, but my vet suggested I could take both in and have them done at the same time. I look at Krystal and she is still so tiny to me although she is 5 months old already. I am wondering if it's fair to put her through such an operation so soon, even it's a standard procedure? Any advise is welcome. Thanks

PS I have my rescue Staffy girl done when she was almost 3 years old (I rescued her when she was 2 1/2 and also have to wait for the season to finish) , she was in agony that day after the op and she is a lot bigger dog. It wasn't a pleasant scene to watch even I know they have to be done.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Usually I go with 6 months old. This gives the dog time to grow his/her adult teeth. If they don't come in well or there are any baby teeth in the way I can have any necessary dental work done as well as a neutering or spaying at the same time.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Darla was spayed at 7 months, and Dillon went in today for his neuter actually and he is just over 7 months too.
He still had 2 baby teeth so they removed them while he was under too.
Darla was the same aswell so it was good to get them out at the same time.

My vet doesnt do them any younger than 6, but they did say they prefer 7.
I was lucky as Darla hadnt had a season and Dillon hadnt started leg lifting. lol
My Daisy was spayed just at the end of last year and she is over 3 years old.
I have only had her since November 2009 though, and i had to wait a while for medical reasons.
She was a bit worse for wear after her spay so spent the night in the vets, but the next day she was back to her usual self thankfully.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
6 months is a standard age to neuter. Be sure and ask to have ALL puppy teeth removed at the same time as the neuter so you don't have to put them under a general anesthetic later.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I will be de-sexing Izzy at around 5-6 months, depending on what my vet recommends. I would ideally like to have her done before her 1st season.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think 6-7 months is still the age most vets recommend, and as others have said, 6+ months is best of chihuahuas because so many of them need their baby teeth pulled, and most vets don't like to pull baby teeth until the adult counterparts have started to come in. By 7 months, all adult teeth will be visible. I'd suggest getting Tobias done now to prevent any risk of an accidental breeding, and then get Krystal done when she's 6-7 months old, depending on her teeth. I'd also make sure Krystal gets to come home from surgery with a day or two of pain meds. That will make a big difference in how she'll be feeling those first couple of days after surgery.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I asked my vet this the other week when I visited and he said minimum 6months, but with smaller dogs he said wait to between 8-12months to allow things to descend properly.
If behaviour is an issue he will do it at 6months but prefers them slightly older. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts