Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how old your Chihuahua was when you got Him or Her?
Only puppies please not adults!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Xena was 4 months old adopted from the pound.
Billy was 6 months old bought from a breeder that was downsizing because she was pregnant with her 4th child.
Smoke was 9 weeks old adopted from the pound.
Pepper was 6 weeks old bought from a guy selling them in a parking lot in almost 100 degrees heat.

The rest I got as adults.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ask this because I just found out that Izzy will be 8 weeks 5 days when I get her!
She was born on the 29th 11th 2010
I will be getting her on 29th 1st 2010
I have had much younger pups (1 weeks old rescue)
So I know I can handle a young one.
My breeder does not normally let pups go until about 10-12 weeks depending
on the individual pup, but she is happy to let me have her at 8-9 weeks because she knows I can handle it.
I was just curious as to what age most people got them on here!

Also Kristi, I asked about her current weight and she will be getting weighed tomorrow
so we will know then!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
all mine have been between 5weeks and just over 8 weeks also , i have had younger rescues as young as 2 days old .
Clarince and sugar both came to me at 6 weeks
Cisco was a rescue at 5weeks
shiloh was a rescue at just under 6 weeks
and keona was just over 8 weeks.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Darla was 8 weeks
Dillon was 9 weeks

If i ever got another i would want at least 12 weeks, although Darla was totally fine.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mia...14 weeks...although I think they lied to me about her age so she would appear to be small for her age (she wasnt quite 2 lbs). Sadly she came from a pet store. She is a 7lb chi now.

Bailey..8 weeks

Addy..12 weeks

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody was 11 weeks.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I do have to say that I like getting older puppies.

Both Rory (my Border Collie) and Emma were 5 months when we brought them home. It's so nice to have fully potty trained yet still young puppies!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I ask this because I just found out that Izzy will be 8 weeks 5 days when I get her!
She was born on the 29th 11th 2010
I will be getting her on 29th 1st 2010
I have had much younger pups (1 weeks old rescue)
So I know I can handle a young one.
My breeder does not normally let pups go until about 10-12 weeks depending
on the individual pup, but she is happy to let me have her at 8-9 weeks because she knows I can handle it.
Since you have a choice, you might want to reconsider and ask the breeder to keep her until 10-12 weeks. The extra time is not because one doesn't think one can handle a young pup, it's because it's an important stage for the pup to stay with their mother and siblings for mental growth and learning. Pups learn a lot from their mother and siblings during those later weeks. :) Here's a great thread that explains more in depth:

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chi-chat/49563-why-should-breeders-keep-puppies-12-weeks.html

1 - 20 of 65 Posts