Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tilly is barely 2 and half months and I refuse to leave her alone. The main reason I won't leave her is because last friday when I DID, I came back to a totally disoriented dog who was about to pass out with hypoglocemia. She has had SEVERAL hypoglocemia episodes, and a throat infection, all of this within the first few weeks of me having her.

Since I will not leave her, my husband watches her if I need to do an errand or sometimes he comes along and waits in the car with her. I suspect he MIGHT think I'm being a tad bit rediculous, but he would NEVER say. He loves her as much as me and he saw her in one of her spells and believe me he was in tears with me but I think he is worried that the longer I keep not leaving her ever alone, the harder it will be later. What is your opinion? Am I creating a monster or just being cautious like I like to think I am?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
thats a hard decision, when my cousins chi was taking fits from the same thing (correct me if I'm wrong bella) She didnt leave her alone for a LONG time Keona would be babysat by her mum and family. I am not sure how old she was when she finally left her but I think it was when she stopped having fits.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I start leaving them for 4 hours at a time the day after I get them. They have my others to keep them company and they are in a pen with food, water, a heating pad, a bed, toys, potty pad, etc. If a pup is fed consistent amounts of protein at consistent intervals, it's not going to have hypo drops. Bryco was hypo when we first got him home and I had to leave him the next day. We just were sure he ate his breakfast then his lunch, and he has been fine and never had another hypo episode again.

Did you leave her in a pen or small space or did she have run of the house or even just a large room? That can be scary for them and stress them out. The smaller the space they are in, the safer they feel and the better they understand their world = less stress. So keep that in mind when you do start to leave her.

How old is she & what does she weigh? Generally pups over 2 lbs don't have too many hypo issues and those over 16 weeks of age have generally outgrown being prone to the condition.

Is your pup fed set meals or is she free fed?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She eats pretty well actually, i feed her four times a day a set amount my vet told me to feed and she eats almost all of it each time, I also leave out dry food incase she gets hungry, even when I AM home.
I have only left her once, but mind you it was a few days after we got back from my moms, where i had her for the first 3 weeks, so she had only been in MY HOUSE for a week. The vet thinks she was just really stressed out when she had the episode and I only left her for 30 minutes. That is the most I have ever left her because I get too worried. When I left her, I left her in my bathroom, which is actually mid size so she had plenty of room but not too much. It's the most puppy-safe place.
She is doing ALOT better since she's getting used to it, or seems to be, but of course she is NEVER left alone, so I don't know how she will take it if I had to leave. She is really attatched to me because we have spent like everyday all day together since day one, she even gets upset if I leave the room. I still have her on nutrical four times a day to be safe, because my vet said i should.
I guess I'm just asking if I'm overeacting, because I am terrified to leave her alone. I just try to take her everywhere with me or leave her with my husband. I just suspect he might think I'm being a bit over the top hehe.
She also has had a bit of a throat infection, I think I mentioned this all happened in like the first week of me having her home. She did great at my mom's for those three weeks. I'm back at the vet tomorrow for checkup and then I have some other appts, in which I will be taking her along.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
TBH I doubt it was a hypo episode then. I think it sounds like it was something else...

Hypoglycemia requires much much much more than 30 minutes of stress to a well fed, well cared for pup, especially if it's normal sized which your girl seems to be?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well from what my vet says, it's not really uncommon for small dogs to have hypoglocemia at such young ages, it has happened twice. Anyway, she seems to be doing tonsss better thankgod! I still don't want to leave her for a while though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and also there is nothing else it could be unless there is some underlying problem which i pray to god not. I watch her like a hawk, and like i said before she is very well fed, I have never had a prob with her eating thankfully.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yes but hypoglycemia doesn't happen in 30 minutes, not to a healthy, 1+ lb puppy. It took over 15 hours for my 15 oz puppy to display symptoms the day we got him. It just literally does not happen in 30 minutes and IF it does, something is really wrong.

It isn't uncommon in small breeds, no. But it happens to dogs only fed 2x a day and allowed to play, run and ruckus too much without appropriate nutritional intake over a period of time.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She could have had a seizure, hit her head, have fluid in her inner ear that got disturbed by her jumping around to get at you, etc.

I am not saying it to try to scare you, but I really genuinely have NEVER heard of a pup going into a hypo episode after 30 minutes, not even after the most intensive, high strung play, stress or activity...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well to be quite honest your scaring the hell out of me, and i worry enough. thankfully i'm going to the vet tomorrow.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Okay well lets put it this way, if it DID happen, if it WAS a hypo episode, after only 30 minutes, and she is well fed, eats 4x a day, which I believe ya there, something is not right either. What do you do to "bring her out of it?"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the vet checked her blood sugar, and it was low and she seemed stressed out, and we gave her nutrical and she was fine. again this has only happened twice, anyway i worry ALOT about her so I get upset easily when it comes to her, but I do trust my vets judgment as I have gone to her for ten years with my other animals.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SHE IS, actually very familiar, and is the most well known vet in the area, and again I have gone to her for years. I have to trust in my vet, as I'm sure you do. No need to argue, though I appreciate your opinions she is doing lot's better and my vet is doing more tests tomorrow to make sure she is doing better. I have 100% faith in my vet. She got me through a very ill cat and saved her, she is a great in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Do actually want advice/opinions from experienced members here? Because it sounds like youre only interested in hearing that you and your vet are right on.
I have to second Kristi, it really doesnt make sense for a dog of her age/size to become hypoglycemic in a matter of 30 minutes. Hypo is common for chihuahuas, but not for older pups over 2lbs.
Id start leaving her for short periods of time now and build, for her to be so attached to you that she cant manage on her own is not healthy for her.
Ive also always started leaving my pups alone from the second or third day of being home. Chihuahuas are dogs, not infants, and need to learn that being separated from you is ok. I hate leaving my guys at home too, but its a skill every dog needs to start learning as a pup.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts