Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , My male Chi is very territorial of me , the house , when he is in the car, the couch and the backyard. He would bark at people and dogs that would go near his territory! Is there any way to break this or start to train him not to be like this? For example, we would be driving and when we hit a stop light. People look over and he would start barking at them for staring. Or when we go through a drive through he would start barking at the people! I usually yell at him "QUIET" but he still would keep barking. Is there ANYTHING that will make him stop? I want people to see the perfect dog that he is around me.

Thank you so much for all your advice!! I will do whatever it takes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Awoww, I am in the same boat as you ...Foster is just 7 months and very territorial of ME !! wont let men near me , which is great for my husband. He seems to think he is my personal bodyguard . I am trying to get him to sleep in a crate on the floor with my other Chihuahua , I think this will help him become less dependant on me , as he was sleeping with me in the bed . I could be wrong , but i think our dogs are doing this because we are not showing them that we are the boss , and they feel like they must be the boss of us . So I think by putting ground rules , and a bit of basic training might help both of us. I needed my little doggie to love and nurture , so I did just that , but also created a little monster ...( cute one though) Last night i made a big pen next to the bed , and made him sleep there with Izzy, they were both fine and slept together in their sheep skin lined crate and blankets . I slept great too ...So I hope this is a start to showing him that he doesnt need to control every move i make ....hope this helps ...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
One thing first, chis bark. lol But, I have gotten them to bark so much less. I use a spray bottle of water and if they bark, they get a spray in their face. It's reach is great, I can get them from anywhere in the dog room. I also use the command 'no bark' It took a while, but the amount of barking has reduced so much. I do have a couple of barkers still. Twiggy barks if anyone or anything leaves the dog room. If Bouncer or my cat jumps the gate or someone that was in the room talking to me leaves the room, she will bark them out of it. Pepper barks at the cats jumping up on the compactor to eat. Delilah is terrified of my brother's wheelchair and will start barking whenever she hears it start down the hall out of his room. But I've gotten it down to just two barks before I can get her to stop. My biggest problem is they go crazy if my brother, son, or one of my daughters walks be the dog room if I'm not in the room. I can't get them to stop until I come back into view, then they all stop immediately and look at me so happy, they made mommy appear again. lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ive been meaning to try the water bottle trick, our boy is a terror when he spots other dogs, we have a caravan where we go every weekend, Chi Chi sits and looks out of the window when hes not in the garden, dare anybody go by and hes up and barking until they get out of sight. Drives me crackers. Even if hes sleeping those bat ears of his manage to hear a passing dog and he starts all over again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts