Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, last night I walked into kitchen and found Lourdes on the table licking an empty plate, then I realized that there was one burger (just meat) left on it, and now it's gone. I put her down on the floor and firmly said NO!! Straight away she jumped on the chair an tried to jump on the table again. When I was reaching out to get her she tried to bite me :( She has never done this before, so I am very surprised about this kind of behavior.
Then today I found her on the table again!!!!!!!!!! Drinking plain yogurt out of the cup.
How should I correct her? So she would get the message that this is not acceptable!!! I already had an argument with hubby because he found it funny and didn't really agree with me that I had to correct her.

Lourdes is two years old, she is spayed and she is very nervous dog, she is more hubby's dog, she sees him as her alpha.

·
Registered
483 Posts
you have to persevere with it, just keep telling her no when she does something wrong, ive also found that saying no (firlmly) and then ignoring them after. that allways works with roxi.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Firstly i would leave no food about that could tempt her and push chairs in under the table so she can't get up on it!!

And just keep telling her NO firmly so she knows that you are boss i also ignore mine for a little while after they have been told off some dogs its works on others it just doesn't!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pushed the chairs in last night, but someone this morning forgot to do it :( And I am trying not leave anything on the table, but then during the weekend my son with his friends are in and out all the time, hard to control it.
Maybe I'll make a huge warning note on the table :D
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
my NaNa is the trouble maker around here....she can jump up on chair and get food too...but she never want to bite though...

·
Registered
483 Posts
roxi has bit me before they may be small but they defo hurt when they get you. roxi is possesive of food 2 :( or she was till i sorted her out and made her sit and wait for her food :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
block her off from the kitchen totally if possible put up gates she should no longer be allowed in the kitchen especially if people are in and out and there is no guarantee to keep her off the table.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She has never tried to bite me before :( that's the bit I am really worried about now!
I wouldn't mind to put up a gate but we have open space kitchen together with dinning room and living area, you can go around, all three rooms are connected, so if I block the two entrances, she only has a hall way left :(
And I always make them sit for me before I feed them, and when I give treats. Even when I give her bone, I make sure she drops it whenever I WANT.
Oh feisty little madam!!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
She has never tried to bite me before :( that's the bit I am really worried about now!
I wouldn't mind to put up a gate but we have open space kitchen together with dinning room and living area, you can go around, all three rooms are connected, so if I block the two entrances, she only has a hall way left :(
And I always make them sit for me before I feed them, and when I give treats. Even when I give her bone, I make sure she drops it whenever I WANT.
Oh feisty little madam!!!
I think the most important is to correct her not to bite.....I hope someone can help you on here......

·
Registered
787 Posts
My guess would be the bite was a combination of possessive behavior and fear. If she's a bit shy and skittish, having you grab for her when you were scolding her, mixed with the fact that she really wanted up on the table, probably pushed her past her tolerance threshold. Did she break skin or bruise you at all when she bit?

You may want to hold a 'family meeting' so you can tell everybody at the same time how important it is to keep the chairs pushed in and the table free of anything Lourdes might want to eat. Let them know it's not just the antics on the table that you're worried about, but that you don't want to keep creating a situation where she may try to bite. (That, at least, hopefully, your husband will take more seriously).

I would also teach her the command "Leave It" and then practice the command around the table, teaching her that the table and chairs are things she should ignore.

If you do catch her on the table, unless you think it might frighten her too much, I have found a few squirts from a squirt bottle can be a pretty successful deterrent. Honestly, I think she'll learn pretty quickly that when you're around, the table is off limits. The hardest thing will be to convince her that when she's alone, it should STILL be off limits. Let's face it, climbing up somewhere new and finding a hamburger, if you're a dog, is pretty much like finding a fifty dollar bill on the sidewalk. As long as she can find good things on the table, she's going to try to get up there. If the table proves to be no longer profitable, she'll stop climbing on it after a while and get out of the habit.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My guess would be the bite was a combination of possessive behavior and fear. If she's a bit shy and skittish, having you grab for her when you were scolding her, mixed with the fact that she really wanted up on the table, probably pushed her past her tolerance threshold. Did she break skin or bruise you at all when she bit?
That's exactly what I thought why she tried to bite me.
No she didn't actually get me, so no bruises.

Thanks for a great advice, I'll try to teach her the Leave it command, she is very smart, she should learn it very quickly :)
And I will get the squirt bottle and try that too.
Actually today Lourdes was trying to get on the table again, while I was at the kitchen clearing the table after dinner!!! And I corrected her and hubby didn't mind :D because he actually saw it himself this time.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am actually having the same problem with my new kitten right now!
He is always getting on our kitchen bench!
I just tell him NO very firmly every single time he is on there, I am
hoping it will sink in soon :)
I am not sure what you are going to do about the biting as I have never dealt
with this before, but it seems like you have already been given some wonderful
advice!
I hope you sort it all out soon !!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Cats and kittens are especially hard to teach this to, since they're such natural climbers. You can try a few things:

1) When you think she's about to hop up on the kitchen bench, get ready with a pan or a tin or something that will make a lot of noise but not be damaged (or damage your floor) when it falls. As soon as she hops up onto the bench, drop the sucker. The sound should startle her off the bench, and if she associates the scare with being on the bench, she will opt to avoid it in the future.

2) Squirt bottle when she hops onto the bench. If this is going to work, it should only take one or two tries.

3) Slightly annoying if you use the bench a lot, but put double-sided sticky tape strips across it. They hate the tacky feel against their paws.

Also, make sure that you keep interesting things (food, objects she might see as potential toys, soft napping spots) off the bench so there's nothing interesting for her up there.

You could also try getting a cat tree and sticking it in the same room. Some cats just seem to want a perch where they can be "tall" and will happily swap one for the other (especially if this new, sanctioned perch always has a treat or two sitting on it. >.>)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts