Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been dying to get Ren in some cute outfits, and I bought a blue Zack & Zoey polo shirt. The original idea was that he would wear it to church with me yesterday, as they were having a "blessing of the animals" in honor of St. Francis of Assisi Day.

I managed to slip it on over his head, and then get one paw through the sleeve, with a bit of a struggle. I was unable to get the other paw through, because the shirt didn't have a lot of stretch. Every time I tried to move his arm, he would bite me - not enough to draw blood, but harder than a playful nip. Then he started growling and I saw this was going to be a struggle so I just gave up.

I'm getting jealous seeing so many photos of all your chis in cute clothes, and I wish I could do the same. Does anyone have tips for getting clothes on them without a big fight?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Is it possible the sweater is too small? and it was hurting him?
Also I would NOT tolerate being bitten or growled at! those are not good signs in my opinion.

With clothing some dogs love it, some hate it :( If you really want him to enjoy clothes you need to be consistent with it and make sure he understands that wearing a sweater is a positive thing, so reward him when you suit him up and he does not fuss.

Fortunately both my dogs are ok with wearing clothes, Mimi does not seem to care either way, but Bijou gets excited when he sees me coming.. :lol:

Again, I'd make sure nothing on that sweater was pinching or hurting him and ensure it's the correct size. There's a member here named Elaina who has the absolute best deals for "doggy couture" ;)

In terms of his biting and growling that needs a swift correction as well, anytime he does it towards you!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think it could be too small. Chloe loves to wear clothes. We started by holding a treat where to get the treat she has to put her head through the neck opening of the clothing. Then once the clothes were on we would tell her how pretty she looked. Now clothes are a positive thing. She gets upset when we take them off.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
you could try gettin him something like a tank top shirt for starters. it may be alot more comfy for him with no sleeves. And , yes, that shirt must be too tight for him. Also there are some things that dont go over the head. they close with velcro. so, you try that style too. but if it were me, i'd try just a plain sleeveless tank style top

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Couldn't you split the leg holes to make them bigger,i found that with some clothes they don't make the leg holes big enough

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. I did order 2 sizes of the polo shirt, but only tried the smaller one as it looked like the closest to his size. But I'll try the larger one and see if that's any easier to get on. And I'll make sure to reward him for letting me put it on. He seems to respond well to that. For the past few weeks I've been lifting up his lips and touching his gums, to get him used to that so I can start brushing his teeth soon. At first he would flinch and get upset, then calm down after getting the treat. Last night I actually did have to check his mouth for something, and had no problem getting to his mouth. So it's good I did all that practice with him!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I did order 2 sizes of the polo shirt, but only tried the smaller one as it looked like the closest to his size. But I'll try the larger one and see if that's any easier to get on. And I'll make sure to reward him for letting me put it on. He seems to respond well to that. For the past few weeks I've been lifting up his lips and touching his gums, to get him used to that so I can start brushing his teeth soon. At first he would flinch and get upset, then calm down after getting the treat. Last night I actually did have to check his mouth for something, and had no problem getting to his mouth. So it's good I did all that practice with him!
Just like with his teeth, he has to get used to wearing clothes. Start little by little. I started with a tank an worked my way up to bulkier clothes. Toby loves them now, but it took positive reinforcement and patience to do it.

I'd get him used to having his paws and ears handled as well so that he will tolerate getting his nails trimmed and his ears cleaned. I did that with Toby and now he hands the groomer his paws for nail time lol.

Let us know how the bigger size shirt goes! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I personally, don't care much for Zack & Zoey.

When Angel was younger I could put clothes on and off him all day long! I could measure him, fit patterns to him, no problems! Now, he is less tolerant of it. So I started making him clothes that fasten with velcro on his back. It just makes life easier. I will make him a few more items for winter, but to be honest, Drs Foster and Smith have some that are very reasonably priced, it's not really worth making. The velcro itself is expensive. I bought jammies from them, and they fit well and are easy to put on.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If Ren is new to clothes, I agree that starting with stretchy or velcro clothing is your best bet. Stretch the neck very wide and hold a treat on the other side so he has to poke his neck through to get it. Then put a leg through the leg hole, give him another treat. Then put his other leg through, give him another treat. Then make a big fuss over him and his handsome duds and get out a toy or something he adores and play with him for a few minutes. Like Ashley and Lindsay suggested, make wearing clothes really positive, so he gets excited when you bring them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts