Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i got an 8 week chihuahua puppy this weekend. As soon as we got her home she was very brave. Happy to play and chase us around but when she sleeps she has to be curled up with me otherwise she cries and barks. I have tried putting her bed next to mine and even holding her until shes asleep then putting her down but the moment i let her go she jumps up and starts crying again. I dont really like having her in my bed as shes so small I worry I will roll over and hurt her. What can i do to get her to settle on her own? When we got her she was with her mum and her grandmum so I know it is a comfort to be snuggled up

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Unfortunately, you just have to "bite the bullet" now and let her cry! She may cry for a few nights, but if you do not want her in bed with you, it's best to start now. You will appreciate it in the long run.

I put Angel in his crate from day one! But I have never had a dog like him. All my others cried for nights!! He cried for 2 nights, about 15 minutes each night! And didn't even wake up to go potty!

It is tough, but it will be worth it in the long run, for you to be strong now.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yep, exactly like Cindy said. You have to show her a little tough love and just ride out her crying for a few nights. If you ignore her, she is going to get the point that she will not get attention from crying and she will give up an go to bed. Gemma was the same way when we first brought her home. After a few nights of letting her cry in her pen next to our bed, she understood it wasn't working and she stopped doing it. The amount of crying per night got shorter and shorter and she even stopped waking us up in the middle of the night. After 2.5 weeks we allowed her to sleep with us since she was trained to use her pads and we were comfortable that she understood how to deal with being alone. She sleeps in bed with us every night now, but we like it. :) If we need to put her down, she will just go to her bed and chew a bully stick. She never cries anymore.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Try putting a hot water bottle in there, wrapped in a little blanket. That worked for us. Kalisee only would wake at 4 am to go potty and I would put her back in, say "night night" and she would stay put. Once or twice she cried but she stopped when I didnt rescue her.

Of course now, she can hop right out and onto my bed, but shes older now and larger. She usually goes to "her spot" on the bed which doesnt involve any "crushing"..

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
When I got my baby, I put her in her crate/carrier and put that IN my bed. No concerns about rolling over and crushing her. She fell asleep with my fingers in her crate. Seemed to confort her. After a few nights of this, we moved her to a bigger playpen. No problems. I really don't like to sleep with a pet. I'm also supposed to be allergic, so I try and keep the dogs out of my bedroom

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
You unfortunately have to deal with the crying. If you respond every time she cries, she will do it for attention or to get in bed with you. She will learn to walk all over you if you don't have boundaries.

Toby cried for a couple days, but he was in a baby play pen right next to my bed and I think me falling asleep helped him sleep. My sister jokes that my snores lulled him to bed. After a couple days, he slept through the night in the crate. Within 3 weeks, he was potty trained enough for me to be okay with him sleeping with me.

Also, maybe try wearing her out before bedtime so she is tired. Toby used to play fetch for 30 mins before bed time and take a walk. By the time he went to bed, he didn't have the energy to cry.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
864 Posts
I use to hang my arm over the bed into Stella's bed until she fell asleep. I didn't have to be touching her, she just had to know I didn't abandon her. After about a week of this, I didn't have to do it anymore, she was confident enough to know that she was part of the family and no one was going anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts