Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2-1/2 year old chi mix that I rescued last fall. He's my only dog and I'm a single retired woman so he doesn't interact much with other people or dogs except when we're on our twice-daily walks. I'm debating getting another chi mix so he'll have a friend but don't know if that's the right thing to do and I'm worrying myself sick trying to decide. He's a fairly calm dog, has never been destructive, and follows me everywhere -- the perfect pup for me. He loves car rides and I take him with me on road trips. But does he need another dog to really be happy? When we're walking he barks at the big dogs but wants to greet the smaller ones. He sometimes whines and pulls toward them and then I feel bad that he's all by himself. A local rescue has a chi mix available next week. Do I go for the "meet and greet" and see what happens? if I get another, then traveling would be more difficult and what if they just tolerate each other but don't become best buds? But then I worry that he could be bored spending all his time with just me. I know other people with just one dog, but those folks all have spouses and/or families so the dog has more than one person. I'm sorry to be so whiny here myself but I just want to do what's best for my little dog. I'd appreciate and insight and advice you could give me. Thank you.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Chihuahuas are very social animals, and the fact that he wants to see other people's small dogs makes me think he'd like a buddy.

You are definitely not being whiny :) .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chihuahuas are very social animals, and the fact that he wants to see other people's small dogs makes me think he'd like a buddy.

You are definitely not being whiny :) .
Thanks for the advice and for understanding! These little Chihuahuas are really special. And your Cuddles sure is a cutie!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts