Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
She needs to have a little time to get aquanited to her new home, give her time she will eat just fine. What did the breeder tell you to feed her?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Don't worry, she's still adjusting. Even then Chi's don't really eat a lot of food, just small portions. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She sounds like a doll. She's off to a good start.

Have some nutrical and some meat baby food on hand in case she doesn't want to eat. Make sure she's eating every few hours. If she goes awhile without eating, you can do a pea sized blob of the nutrical to get her sugar up and then maintain it with protein, such as the baby food. Most puppies really like baby food and it is 100% meat.

Encourage her to eat regularly so her blood sugars don't drop. I'm sure she'll do fine.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Once she's been home a few days, I would consider getting on a slightly better puppy food but that's always up to you, of course. Even though she may seem to be doing well on the food now, foods full of lots of different chemicals can tend to cause problems later on in your baby's life...if you haven't already, do some research. An easy to understand website is dogfoodanalysis.com.

Our little one currently is eating about 1/8 cup, day. We can't get him to eat more than that but he's steadily gaining weight even if its only a fraction of an ounce here or there. Maybe try getting a kitchen scale to help you monitor her weight gain. They are 10-20 bucks and totally worth it!

If you're worried about her eating, one thing I've found that works is mixing in a small bit of baby food with the food very well. Worth a try anyway =)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thinking of trying blue buffalo life protection puppy food. It is at my petsmart i think and the ingredients look pretty good. I agree eukanuba aint so great. she seems to like it though. The breeder didnt give me very much at all, so i'll need to make the switch asap so i can mix the 2 together.
Or may Diamond Naturals sm. breed puppy food.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Heres the diamond naturals ingred: Diamond® Naturals Small Breed Puppy Formula contains DHA for optimal development of your puppy's brain and eyes and Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids to keep the skin and coat healthy and shiny.

* No corn, no wheat
* Antioxidant formulation
* Balanced omega fatty acids for skin and coat
* Small kibble is easy to grasp and chew
* Natural formula with vitamins and minerals
* Tiny bites packed with nutritious ingredients for optimal growth and development

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, whole grain brown rice, beet pulp, fish meal, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salmon oil (a source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 32.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 22.0%, Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min.) 3.4%, Calcium (min.) 1.2%, Phosphorus (min.) 1.0%, Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.) 0.5%, DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) (min.) 0.05%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%.

(And blue buffalo:)
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rye, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Menhaden Fish Meal (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Potatoes, Peas, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Dried Egg, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed(natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Garlic, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Fish Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium .
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 27.0% min
Crude Fat 16.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.3% min
Phosphorus 1.0% min
DHA 0.1% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.5% min

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

TRUE BLUE PROMISE - Only the Finest Natural Ingredients - REAL MEAT First Ingredient - NO Chicken or Poultry By-Product Meals - NO Corn, Wheat or Soy Artificial Preservatives Colors of Flavors

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would say Blue Buffalo is a much better food than Diamond naturals. I'd keep in mind that while some of our dogs do stunningly well on one brand, others don't, so you might have to try 2-3 types of food before you find what works. I would stick with a 4-5 star food from the website I gave you earlier, anything less and it'd be like feeding your kid mcdonalds for life haha.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would give her time to settle before switching her foods. :) Waiting until she's a bit older won't hurt. :wink:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
It's really up to you. You can buy another bag of the Eukanuba, and start switching towards the end of it, or buy a new product now and do a very slow switch. Either way should be okay. But sometime when they first come home they already have a stressed system, and a food switch can cause tummy upset. You can give it a try though and see how it works out. Some do perfectly fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts