Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

So I've found and joined this website as I am in some desperate need of help!
I have two female chihuahuas, Angelica 5 and Tiarmie 3. When Angelica was a puppy, we had 4 German Shepards and a Northan Inuit who were all extremely gentle towards her and she loved them in return.
When we got Tiarmie when Angelica was 2, we still had all the big dogs which she had grown up around, but she really didn't like this new puppy.
It took her around 4 weeks to stop growling at her, but finally they bonded and they are now the best of friends. Angelica has always been a little cautious of other dogs regardless to how many she was introduced her to whilst living in a woods which people would walk their dogs through.
Tiarmie picked up her cautiousness of other dogs and again, regardless of all th dogs they both had been contact in, they were very defensive from the start, even though most the dogs were only looking to be friends!

Basically, 3 weeks ago we were asked to have a 8 week old Pomeranian puppy off my mums friend as after getting her, realised her new baby was badly allergic.
Our Pom, from the first minute we bought her home was extremely loving, medium level energy puppy. She is very bold and isn't worried about much.
We knew that our Chihuahuas would take a while to get used to her, especially being another female makes the situation harder but not impossible. They were weary at first, but wasn't too bad with her. We introduced them outside, so it wasn't as though she was just jumping into their territory.
When bringing Essi (the Pom) in, they didn't mind her sleeping in their beds and drinking out their water bowl.
When things were looking as though they were bonding with her, all of a sudden they changed. They are now attacking Essi after 2 and a half weeks. They have never, ever attacked a dog. They growl to show they don't like them coming too close but nothing like this... I am so worried for Essi, as I don't want her growing up nervous of dogs as well after their behaviour towards her.
I don't quite understand as I have been doing everything I thought was right, giving equal attention, praising when all together, a firm telling off them show any aggression.
I am just very confused, as they have never been social dogs but they have always been in contact with others, and never had a bad experience with any.
Essi is quite a calm puppy, so she isn't diving around them all day.

I would really appreciate some help, as I want what is best for all of them.
I don't want to get rid of Essi as I have now bonded with her myself, and I believe I would be letting the girls get their own way by rehoming her. They need to learn that she, and other dogs aren't so bad. I just don't know what else I can do.
I have also been taking them on small walks towards to try increase bonding, which I believed was working until 3 nights ago.
Angelica and Tiarmie are not what so ever aggressive towards humans, they have never even growled at anyone. It just seems to be other dogs!

Thank you so much in advance,
Imogen

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Are they actively attacking this pom? Drawing blood? Does she cry out in pain when they 'attack' her? If the answer to these questions is no, then they are just reminding her who is 'in charge', so to speak. If the answer is yes, then you have some work to do. You have to make it safe for her. A playpen is ideal. Safe for the puppy, and the other dogs.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
You naughty naughty pretty girls hihi :) I have experienced this myself, only with males..when I got Baby som siblings 5 years ago hehe.. He didn*t want them at all, he looked so pissed haha..he hunted them down and wanted them out of his house, hehe.. I*m sure it would have worked if I felt like keeping them all, but when I saw Baby*s reaction I changed my mind..and rehomed them :) Since then, we have been living happily ever after hehe, with Baby the T-Rex in charge ;)

So I think you just have to give them lots of more time ! When time goes by, they will understand that she has comed to stay, I think now they are just trying and seeing what you will do hihihihi. Spoiled brats ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, their not drawing blood. They are biting her face, but not hard enough to actually do any damage. They know exactly what their doing! It's just horrid to watch as Essi squeaks, and starts wimpering.
But yes, however much I try to remind them that their not furry babies, they are still very spoilt! Thank you for your replies

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This type of behavior is NORMAL in young puppies when they meet their 'superiors'! Yes she squeaks, but I'll bet dollars to donuts there is no actual harm being done.

I had an older irish setter who took her granddaughters muzzle in her mouth EVERY morning for the rest of her life!!! Fortunately the young dog gave her her due all the time. She'd just melt, and roll over to show her her tummy, and then the old dog would walk away!

Hopefully the pup will become more of a friend after awhile. I would NOT interfer in this behavior. You will just make things seem 'out of kilter' for the older dogs. They will accept this pup very soon. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts