Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of my mom's owns a little papillon/maltese mix.. about 6 months old. Tomorrow I am watching her for 10 days, but he says she gets really car sick. Is there anything I can do to help her not be car sick on the way home from picking her up??

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Drive slow and have someone else hold her. The more stable she is in the car, the less likely she will get motion sickness since it is repetitive motion and swaying that makes them sick. If you have someone else, it also helps to entertain her to keep her mind away from the motion. Make sure she doens't eat right before you pick her up, and WATCH for signs of vommitting like nystagmous (eyes rolling around), nervousness, drooling, breathing heavily, and the final heaving motions. Pull over quickly unless you want projectile dog vomit all over your car (Kristin's old car has many a stain!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. It'll only be me.. and they said they wouldn't feed her before. She has a crate, so I'll put her in that.. I just feel bad :(

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I know that vets can dose out human dramamine (motion sickness meds) and dogs can have it. My brother does that for his mini dachshund. I wouldnt do it unless you have the okay from the vet and the vet tells you what kind of meds and how much.
Otherwise stock some NutraCal and dont feed her before you drive. They can get sick easly on a full stomach, but since she is small you still want something in her....a little bit of nutra cal will give her the sugar and calories and not fill her stomach. Obviously feed her after you are done driving :wink:
Those are my tips. Best of luck.

Oh try driving with windows open for fresh air...that helps me :wink: Just dont let her hang out the window though.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
let her ride shotgun in her crate if that is possible. i always get a little quesy if i have to ride in the back seat. other than that i have no advice sorry :wave:

·
Registered
20 Posts
:wave: Hi! Here is a trick that has always worked for us- like the rest of the advice already given (no food just before, in the front seat with someone or their crate, a bit of fresh air or the a/c on) we always put a small choker collar on the dogs (like what is used for obedience- all metal) It hangs there and helps to neutralize the static electricity. Besides them being nervous and sea sick because they usually cannot see forward out of the window to equalize their equalibrium (inner ear) the natural electricity from them and the car can also intefere with their sense of direction and then they barf! I also take a towel or blankee so that as they travel more often (not just to the vet!) they can stay in the back seat and lay on that- they usually outgrow the sickness by a year old if they are prone to it- I have 1 male now that is 10 months old- he is good on shorter rides but can get upset/barf on rides over 2 hours. The female has never thrown up- so I guess it is somewhat the individual personality too. But we make sure they get to go on car rides, even if just to the grocery store so that they are good travelers. Hope you try the chain collar and see if you notice the effect or not! Terri

·
Registered
825 Posts
All great advice as usual :) I`ll be trying the loose chain collar on my puppy when i get her. It sounds like a really good idea. :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Becareful with chain collar I used one and it was stuck in the pups mouth like a horse bit and her little tooth was wedged in the link.Lady is a barfer not as much as she was I put her in her carrier with a blankie over it that seemed to help I also did the no eating thing and nutrical she is much better now then she was now she just gets sick when she first gets in the car thats it. enroute she will eat and drink without a hitch

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i especially ahte the ones with those prongs that pinch the neck... grrr. i'd like to put them on the owners for a walk to see how they like it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice! The owner actually drove her over himself. The poor girl was covered in puke.. and she's a maltese mixed with papillon, so very fluffy .. and her fur was all wet.. ewww.

It makes me so thankful that Guinness does not have one ounce of car sickness. He's been driving in cars for as long as I can remember :) He's made a few 4 hour trips.. so he's pretty good at being in the car :)

Its just a shame because I wanted to bring her to the doggy park but I don't want to deal with a retching pup :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts