Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a first time dog owner, by any means. But it's been a long time since i've had a new one. I know alot of people have been writing about teaching their pup their name and getting them to come when called.
I want to teach Leila her name. Obviously we've been calling her it, but i mean "really" teach it to her. Now when we get her out and let her run around with us she's wanting to play and verrry excited. What is a good technique for teaching her and hopefully keeping her calm and getting her to listen to us.:)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Say her name in a high pitched voice.. also play with her and whilst you're playing say Good Girl Leila(high pitched voice) took Daisy 1 day to learn her name at 8 1/2 weeks.

Recall can be a lengthy process we did it by playing 'puppy ping pong' first one of us sat one end of the room another at the other.. and we'd say Daisy come come come (as shewas runnign towards us) when she got to us a treat and we kept doing that game until the treats ran out ha ha.. she then came on command..

Then i put her on a leash and did it that way.. again treated her... eventually i let her off in a controlled environment so i could get her back if need be...!! When i first started letting her off lead in the park i'd give her a treat when i unhooked her leash so she knew mummy had treats on her!!

Her recall is probably 99.9% now.. the .1% is because she's not perfect and sometimes thinks about coming back to me because she likes sittin in the middle of the field

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Same as the others just say the new mane all the time, never stop and when you say her name and she simply looks at you make a big fuss and praise her loads.

I changed Jakes name and he learnt it within a day or two

·
Registered
609 Posts
I used the repetition method as the first two posters mentioned and eventually they all got it, but I read that if you want them to learn it more quickly... You hold the treat away from your face and call their name--as soon as they look at you (not the treat), reward them with it. I've read that you should try to limit the amount of times you call their name before they respond (better to wait until they look on their own) otherwise they start to think it's okay to wait until you say it multiple times. The idea is that you want them to respond immediately the first time you call their name. Just a suggestion--good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts