Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've tried everything I can think of even moving around my cats whole food set up. But it's still a problem with Raz.

He sees the cats he chases the cats, sprayed him with water/spanked his bottom/crated him/etc, nothing works to get him to stop chasing the cats.

He's stopped chasing Kitty Kitty because she's standing up to him and he's got a nice scar on his neck now thanks to her but Chocolate is actually the problem. :cry:

The cat tries to stand up to him....even tries to swip at him but he still chases her. :cry:

We hardly see her now....she's always up in corners or hiding on someone's lap away from Raz. Now I know some will say get rid of her but she was there first and I hate to give up Raz just because they cant get a long.

So ANY SUGGESTIONS TO GET HIM TO STOP CHASING HER!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've got the opposite problem. Callie is scared of my roomates Cat and Puddy keeps attacking her. I have to put her in a room by herself whenever I leave the house because I'm afraid that the cat with get a good swipe in and hurt her. I've tried everything, nothing discourages that creature

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We never leave Raz out except for an hour alone....longer than that and he's baby gated in our kitchen but during the one hour it's kind of like a shift change....hubby goes to work and I'm home half an hour later.

But Kitty Kitty gets squirted with water ever time she hisses or swipes at Raz now....if that doesn't work we lock her in a closet which is just like crating her because that was how she was "trained" as a kitten.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
With Cooper and my parents cats, Cooper started chasing them because he thought they would play with him, but now one of the cats stands up to cooper and will chase him, swat at him too, but Cooper just runs away and the cat eases up then. I don't really know what to say except for maybe just give them time - I know it's hard to just let them go at it without interfering becuase you're probably scared (like I was) that the cat will scratch your dogs eyes or hurt him, but that hasn't happened in my situation. They have pretty much figured out who gets the right to do what between themselves. I am not sure what else you could do but let them get used to each other.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have 4 cats.
First off I never leave the cats and my chis out together if I am not here to watch them.
Second, get the cats nails clipped, or if you prefer have the front claws removed.
Third, if Raz is chasing the cat you have got to correct him, period.

Out of the 4 cats I have only one has had his claws removed and that's because when he was younger he was a bully to other cats, even after being nuetered. The other 3 cats have their nails clipped regularly. Sandy and Koke have learned how close they can get to each cat before they get swatted. The 2 girl cats arn't as likely to swat at them, although 1 of them gets in a mood sometimes and will swat at anything.
Sandy and Koke actually play chase with the girl cats sometimes, they are really playing and not being mean. But sometimes they will bark at the male that still has his claws, and I always make them stop and leave him alone.
So it works both ways. Don't let the cat chase the dog and don't let the dog chase the cat. At the least they will learn to tolerate each other because YOU are the boss and it's what YOU want them to do.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I am glad I don't have to deal with other animals with Gadget. Maybe in the future I will.

I did have a doberman and a simese cat at the same time. The cat was there first and when we brought the puppy home the cat hated him. the cat would swat at the dog all the time and then the dog got bigger than the cat and the dog started chasing the cat.. the cat wasn't going to have anything to do with that and turned and swatted the dog on the nose.... That was the last time the dog chased the cat.

Animals are wierd, they will tell eachother when it is time to stop and who is the animal boss.

good luck :)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I have a similar problem. I have a 3 year old cat named Chloe. She was my 1st pet since I have been out on my own. I love her dearly and I would never want to give her up. She absolutely hates Mikey. From day 1 she would hiss at him so he immediately saw her as a threat. She has to be up on something so Mikey can't harrass her. I feel so bad b/c the minute she comes out he chases her away. I actually worry that he is going to stress her out and make her die. I know that may sound silly but I really worry about that. She is very overweight (she's on a diet food but it's not helping) and I feel it's just too much for her. She's never out right mean to him. He can even lay near him, but once he gets in her face she hisses. Now my other cat, Eerie, plays w/ Mikey..so Mikey has no problem w/ her.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we moved the food so Chocolate is not eating again....but she kind of still is afraid to move around the house unless the puppy is preoccupied....she is taking chances.

As for declawing Kitty Kitty....no way...that is dangerous to her health. She has her nails clipped when we go to the vet and she doesn't swipe him with her nails when she swipes mostly....but when he's real annoying it's the claw.

We've gotten into smacking Raz with a rolled up news paper on the nose now or the behind when he barks....works wonders.

So hopefully by next month Chocolate will be able to move around like normal again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.