Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The woman who wanted to find her blue and tan chi puppy changed her mind. She said she was really sure she was going to find him a new home because it would be for the best. Her older daughter was having heart surgery which meant that she and her daughter would need to relocate for a few months to a relatives house. She said she couldn't take her chi with her. She came to the conclusion that she should find him a new home for her chi so she could concentrate on her daughter's recovery and because nobody would be able to take care of her chi while she was away. She has a husband and a little boy, but they are at work, or at school, or are too busy or to young to care for a puppy.

We talked and corresponded many times after she decided to let us buy the dog from her. She said she couldn't bring herself to tell her little boy about rehoming the chi until after the holidays so I told her that we could pick him up after the holidays. Originally, I was supposed to pick him up a couple of days after she agreed to let us adopt him. I suggested that she could wait until after the holidays for her son's sake. I was supposed to pick him up tomorrow, but she changed her mind and said she couldn't bring herself to tell her son. Why did she seriously look for a home before she told her son? I thought she was committed to finding a new home. I wish I didn't waste my time on her.

The thing that makes me angrier is that I passed up at least 10 other dogs over the past week and a half that would have been a good fit for our family. For fun I kept on looking at other available dogs, but I didn't get them or ask about them because I thought I was bringing the new chi home tomorrow.

Reno is a small town, but it's the biggest in Northern NV. There are fewer dogs available for adoption or even for purchase from a breeder. I was going to drive 2 hours into CA to pick up the new chi. Many of the dogs I found for adoption were also around 2 hours away. There were no other chis and a good one is not easy to find in this area. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I know you are disappointed now, but when you fine THE perfect little chihuahua for your family, you will thank your lucky stars. Your baby is out there looking or waiting for you.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree completely with Debra!
When we were searching for Ruby, we had several false starts including conflicting back and forth information from breeders and long car rides only for things to keep falling through. It seemed that we would never find her. She ended up being our most well bred dog who came from a breeder that I would seek out again and again.
Sorry for your disappointment. Cannot wait to hear the "end" of your story when you find your perfect little one!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
So sorry about that. :(
I can imagine how you feel, you see pictures, you write back and forth, you
start to already love the pup and start planning things, only to have the people
change their mind. I'd be really upset too. But hopefully they are good people
who will keep on giving this pup good care. I mean if he's in a loving home then
it's best he stays, right? But then again how great can they be if they were
going to sell him? Urgh! Anywho, I just hope you find your dog very soon and I'm
sure once you do, you'll forget about this unfortunate scenario. I agree with the
girls, your pup is out there waiting for you, so hang in there, this time it was just
not meant to be. Hugs.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
How disappointing. I hope this lady commits the time to take care of the puppy since she won't re home him.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everybody. I am disappointed, and I spent a lot of time with this woman going back and forth with messages, pictures, and phone calls. She never once indicated that she was not going to go through with it. In fact, she told me that I was a better pet parent than her based on what I told her even though she thinks she's fantastic. She really just couldn't tell her son about the dog needing to go to a new home. I do hope that the little chi will be taken care of for the few months nobody will be able to really spend much time with him or attend to his needs for most of the day until the husband gets home from work.

I hope that another nice chi that I like will come along. I spent so many hours looking for him. I hope to find a female LC chi. I would consider a toy poodle, Yorkie, or a mini dachshund too.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
What a whack job!! That lady sounds like she doesn't know what she wants! I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like that chi's going to be takin care of like it needs.
Any way, sorry you had to go thru this, but I truly believe there's a reason for everything and I know you will find the Chi of your dreams!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I happen to live in a area where people are dropping of Chi's all the time. We found our Gizmo who had been dropped off in a garden department. Trying to find the owners I found out it is a common occurrence here.Try looking in newspapers and shelters in California. They need homes badly. I have people telling me all the time they found one or took one to the shelter. Makes me so sad. Gizzie is precious to us. Hard to believe they left her.
I know many of the rescues will bring them to you also. Maybe meet you half way. Try any of the McClatchy newspapers too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reno huh? My husband and I eloped to Reno! We lived in the SF Bay area then. Now we're further south in San Joaquin Valley and there's hundreds of Chihuahua and Chi X's in the shelters. (And pit bulls). It's sad, people just breed and breed. I have 2 rescues already along with my 2 other dogs, so I'm full right now, but my heart goes out to them. I look on Craig's list and see them all the time. Now, of course, these aren't from good breeders if that's what you're looking for, but they are out there. Sacramento maybe?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went through a lot of driving, emailing and phone conversations as well when I was trying to find my dog as well. There were puppies, pure breeds, and adult dogs. At the end I got one from local shelter in San Jose, CA. I don't regret at all, even so that I had arrangement to pick up the new dog , just to find out when I arrive, that it was given to somebody else. It is just destiny. You will get your perfect chi soon.

On other side it is difficult as you can imagine for that lady to part with her dog. It is a part of her family no matter what stuff they are going through. At the end even that you can provide a better care for that dog, it might be better overall for their dog and family to stay together.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i totally understand how you feel...
i "found" my chi fell in love and paid the deposit. he was so little and suffering from hypoglycemia so i was told they need to keep him under surveillance for at least 1 week.
needless to say after 1 week no good news and i should wait longer...i called every other day and only to be told that he was still to weak and basically i should give up (i had a feeling they just did not want to give him to me)! i practically waited 3 weeks without knowing if i was ever going to get him.
i was so sad but somehow did not give up and things turned out to be positive: Klein had the OK from the vet and it was meant to be.
i knew that all they wanted was the best for him and wanted to be sure of everything before "giving him away"
pls do not give up, you will come across the one meant for you!

·
Registered
376 Posts
What a whack job!! That lady sounds like she doesn't know what she wants! I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like that chi's going to be takin care of like it needs.
Any way, sorry you had to go thru this, but I truly believe there's a reason for everything and I know you will find the Chi of your dreams!
This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry that that happened to you. I can't even believe that she did that to you! I hope that you find the perfect little baby for your family soon.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news everybody!

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I do have some good news or at least it could be good news.

For a few months I had been trying to find a new dog. I knew it would take a while to find another really small dog like Venus in this area. I was looking everywhere. I sent many emails and called a lot of numbers, but I got only 2 responses. I was starting to think that people were making up stories about available dogs. I would have appreciated any response even a "No".

There was a rescue that contacted me about a Yorkie female. She was also a breeder cast off. She's about 1 year old and couldn't be used for breeding or something like that. I met with and interviewed with the woman running the rescue and the Yorkie a few times. She was concerned about the Yorkie finding a good home because she hated and/or was afraid of everybody who applied to adopt her. However, this Yorkie came right up to me and leaned on me just as the woman told me that the Yorkie would often bark her head off or she would run away from people.

Anyway, after a few meetings with the Yorkie at her house, the woman wouldn't commit to an appointment for Venus to come and meet the Yorkie to see if they got along, and she wouldn't commit to inspecting my house to see if it was suitable for dogs. She told me to call her to set up yet another appointment on my own without Venus or anybody else. I did as well as a follow up email trying to set up an appointment, but I didn't hear from her for 3 weeks. Last night she contacted me and told me to bring Venus and my daughter to see the Yorkie, and if all went well she could go home with us for a night. Well, the Yorkie came home with us tonight because she was fine with Venus and my daughter. She said that if things go well tonight and for the next few nights we could schedule a home visit. Hopefully the home visit will go well so we can keep the Yorkie.

She didn't give a reason as to why she didn't contact me at all for so long even though she is the one who told me to call her on a certain day to schedule another meeting. She didn't give a reason as to why it was suddenly okay for Venus and my daughter to meet the Yorkie. I think that that rescue is very disorganized and that they don't have a clear protocol on how to find new homes for their rescues.

Here she is.

I do think that the woman who wanted to rehome her chi wasn't thinking straight. She tried to do the responsible thing and spent a long time trying to screen people that wanted to adopt her dog. She spent a lot of time getting his extensive health records in order. She did want the best for her dog until she had to be honest to her son. I think she is going through a lot emotionally because of her daughter's surgery, relocating for a few months, money issues she told me about, and because of having to give up her dog. The extra stress of telling her son about rehoming the chi was the straw, and she couldn't do it. I hope nothing bad happens to the chi so she won't regret her choice to keep him.

When I lived in So Cal it was so easy to find a dog in need of a new home because there were so many to choose from. I never had anybody back out or interview me a dozen times before letting me take a dog home for one night. I know that you have to be careful where dogs go to particularly if they have been mistreated, but there is a point where a few meetings, a home inspection, and vet references will have to do. At some point a rescue has to trust or else they'll never rehome dogs. It's not like a rescue can't get the dog back if they find out I'm hoarding 20 dogs.

We can have up to 3 dogs in our city. I am still keeping an eye out for another little chi or another little dog in need.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That little yorkie looks so precious! If you still want a chi you should come down to Las Vegas, the county shelter (The Animal Foundation previously LIED animal shelter) has literally hundreds of chis go through a month! And they don't interrogate as much as private rescues- our adoption was easy easy. I know it is quite the drive from Reno though.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That little yorkie looks so precious! If you still want a chi you should come down to Las Vegas, the county shelter (The Animal Foundation previously LIED animal shelter) has literally hundreds of chis go through a month! And they don't interrogate as much as private rescues- our adoption was easy easy. I know it is quite the drive from Reno though.
My mom and brother live in Vegas so I might visit them and just plan on bringing a dog back with me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I couldn't imagine having to tell my kids we had to rehome an animal & I can honestly see how if I was facing the choice of having to do so because of a family member's health issue it would be heartbreaking for me and I can't even imagine how the kids would be about it. We would find a way not to rehome and that's probably the same dilemma that woman was facing. Not to mention the stress and worry of her daughter's scheduled heart surgery (can't even imagine facing that). I don't think she was being rude or trying to hurt you, I think she thought it would be best for the dog to rehome it, because of all the home chaos but found a way to try and work through it. Regardless I am sure her emotions were all over the place and she was trying to do what was best for all involved under the most trying circumstances.

I am sorry it fell through, that Yorkie is cute, cute, cute! and I know you'll find the right fit for you soon in the Chi Department which is always fun to look at :) Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I do have some good news or at least it could be good news.

For a few months I had been trying to find a new dog. I knew it would take a while to find another really small dog like Venus in this area. I was looking everywhere. I sent many emails and called a lot of numbers, but I got only 2 responses. I was starting to think that people were making up stories about available dogs. I would have appreciated any response even a "No".

There was a rescue that contacted me about a Yorkie female. She was also a breeder cast off. She's about 1 year old and couldn't be used for breeding or something like that. I met with and interviewed with the woman running the rescue and the Yorkie a few times. She was concerned about the Yorkie finding a good home because she hated and/or was afraid of everybody who applied to adopt her. However, this Yorkie came right up to me and leaned on me just as the woman told me that the Yorkie would often bark her head off or she would run away from people.

Anyway, after a few meetings with the Yorkie at her house, the woman wouldn't commit to an appointment for Venus to come and meet the Yorkie to see if they got along, and she wouldn't commit to inspecting my house to see if it was suitable for dogs. She told me to call her to set up yet another appointment on my own without Venus or anybody else. I did as well as a follow up email trying to set up an appointment, but I didn't hear from her for 3 weeks. Last night she contacted me and told me to bring Venus and my daughter to see the Yorkie, and if all went well she could go home with us for a night. Well, the Yorkie came home with us tonight because she was fine with Venus and my daughter. She said that if things go well tonight and for the next few nights we could schedule a home visit. Hopefully the home visit will go well so we can keep the Yorkie.

She didn't give a reason as to why she didn't contact me at all for so long even though she is the one who told me to call her on a certain day to schedule another meeting. She didn't give a reason as to why it was suddenly okay for Venus and my daughter to meet the Yorkie. I think that that rescue is very disorganized and that they don't have a clear protocol on how to find new homes for their rescues.

Here she is.

I do think that the woman who wanted to rehome her chi wasn't thinking straight. She tried to do the responsible thing and spent a long time trying to screen people that wanted to adopt her dog. She spent a lot of time getting his extensive health records in order. She did want the best for her dog until she had to be honest to her son. I think she is going through a lot emotionally because of her daughter's surgery, relocating for a few months, money issues she told me about, and because of having to give up her dog. The extra stress of telling her son about rehoming the chi was the straw, and she couldn't do it. I hope nothing bad happens to the chi so she won't regret her choice to keep him.

When I lived in So Cal it was so easy to find a dog in need of a new home because there were so many to choose from. I never had anybody back out or interview me a dozen times before letting me take a dog home for one night. I know that you have to be careful where dogs go to particularly if they have been mistreated, but there is a point where a few meetings, a home inspection, and vet references will have to do. At some point a rescue has to trust or else they'll never rehome dogs. It's not like a rescue can't get the dog back if they find out I'm hoarding 20 dogs.

We can have up to 3 dogs in our city. I am still keeping an eye out for another little chi or another little dog in need.
She is adorable and looks quite comfortable. I hope it works out for you. Yeah, I think some organizations go a little too far. I also don't understand someone who would leave someone hanging for three weeks. Surely they know how a person feels when they're excited at the prospect of getting a new pet--that's just torture. BEST of luck with it! You deserve it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts