Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out we're going to my fater in laws soon for a weekend. and of course im bringing chico...now, chico has been around medium sized dogs before, but my father in law has 2 huge dogs. a german shepard and a golden retreiver. whats the best way to have my little one around these 2 dogs...and does anyone have exp with chi's being around huge dogs like this?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: My advice, NEVER leave them alone or unattended..they might be all friendly but accidents happen..for sure you'll get more advice on this :wink:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Might advise dont let him play with them at all unless you are within a hands grasp of him - it really isnt worth it - they may kill him just by innocently knocking into him when playing :wave:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree!!!! If you watch them and just dont leave them alone it should be fine. Its funny my friend had a pit bull probably 60 pounds and i used to have a little dashound mix about 5 pounds and the pit was so carefull she watched were she stepped and was always so easy with my dog even on the first visit. So dont be so quick to judge they may be fine but you gotta watch them.

AND BY THE WAY HAVE A WONDERFUL VISIT :eek:ccasion7: AND A SAFE TRIP

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Lily plays with a chow and a weimaraner (sp?) at daycare. Both are extremely careful where they put their feet (which is why they're allowed to play with her in the first place) and they are watched carefully at all times.

My parents' golden is so nervous around her, he will walk halfway around the room to avoid brushing up against her. She flirts shamelessly with him and he will barely even look at her. :lol:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
most likely he will be attached to me the whole time we're there. they are nice dogs, but i just wasnt sure if big dogs like that would view chico as a play toy because hes so small.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm almost inclined to say don't let them interact, especially since there is 2, and you are bringing a new dog into their old territory. However, it's a decision you will have to make based on how they react when you get there. Also keep in mind that even if they are friendly and they end up playing, Nemo's tragedy is still ringing in my ears.

If the other 2 dogs are outdoor dogs, maybe yours can be inside?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I took Annabelle with me to visit my sister in another state. My sister had a german shepard and a small poodle type dog. I was walking Annabelle on a leash outside no where near those dogs when they both came from no where and tried to eat Annabelle. I had to jerk her up by the leash to get her away from them. She was just dangling in the air, hanging by her leash for what seemed like forever! Thankfully my sister was able to get her dogs under control and Annabelle was not badly hurt. My sister said her dogs had never been aggressive like that. Just be very careful and ready for anything.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, chris said that a few weeks before we go he's going to call his dad and let him know we're bringing chico, that way his dad can make for any arrangements, like getting s big, outdoor pen type thing for his dogs to run around in so chico can "explore" while we're there. his dad is cool so he'll understand and do what he can so chico is comfortable. i'm also going to buy one of those carriers that you wear on the front of you, that way if the dogs are inside i will be able to hold him easily.

·
Registered
292 Posts
When we go visit my sister,we usually stay overnight-she has 2 english bulldogs-we take turns with letting the dogs out-while her 2 are asleep on her bed (door locked) Tiki and Lola have the run of the house-When hers are out T&L get carried or we put them in their crate on the top bunk in one of my nieces locked bedrooms-we 1st tried having them in their crate in the same room but, the female bully started pushing the crate across the floor :shock: she is usually laid back and just likes to lay on top of you on the couch but damn if she did'nt want to taste my chis-the male bully-who is a lot more active was who we were worried about--just sniffed at them and cried and would try to get my sister to let them out of their crate-he,d pull her to it and cry somemore-We've only been up there in the winter so we did'nt have the added use of the yard. Even though taking turns is'nt the ideal arrangement- it worked for us :wink: I'm a little more worried about when they come to visit us in a couple weeks(They live in the Poconos,we live near the Jersey shore)We have weak locks and her bullies have barreled through them just to sleep with us-and that was pre-chi! Well, good luck-hope everything works out :wave:---PS-Sable and Vinnie are between 60 and 70 lbs each and are pretty 'rough' we always go home with bruises-last time-I had a 4in x 1in bruise on my knee just because Vinnie stepped on it with all of his weight.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I mentioned I have a toy poodle. 11 pounds, a very shy, but good boy...he is very nervous around Gizzie, but last week he tried to bite him...granted Gizmo was chasing him and driving him crazy...but still you never know! And that's my dog that I know and we're still very cautious.. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts