Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hugos Vet visit brought us some not so good news , first off the vet thinks hes 9 or 10. All of his teeth have to be removed ( so we are going to do that during the neuter) he has a stage 4 LP so that will require leg surgery eventully and he has some clouding in both eyes so he is going blind... I'm glad that I am able to help. Him and the years he's has left will be good...

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
wish you had gotten a better report...I am glad he has you to look after him in his " golden years " ...not so golden for him unfortunately....:(

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Adrienne, you're an angel. Taking him in without knowing what to expect and
then providing a comfortable life for the rest of his years is just wonderful. :love2:
Don't worry too much about the teeth and eyes, they adjust fine. As for LP,
start him on a healthy diet right away, make him lose the extra weight, it'll help
him tremendously. You can also get some liquid Glucosamine & Chondroitin to
add to his daily meals. How is he doing with your pups? How is his overall mood?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hugos Vet visit brought us some not so good news , first off the vet thinks hes 9 or 10. All of his teeth have to be removed ( so we are going to do that during the neuter) he has a stage 4 LP so that will require leg surgery eventully and he has some clouding in both eyes so he is going blind... I'm glad that I am able to help. Him and the years he's has left will be good...
BLESS YOU. You are such a kind and loving person. I did this for Clover--although she was only in need of weight loss and 17 teeth pulled. She has lived an extra year and is a happy, good girl. she is so loving and knows she has a home in the last stages of her life. I am waiting for the results of a cancer screening, but whatever happens, I have the satisfaction, as you will with Hugo, that you gave an old dog a second chance.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm so glad he is with you and you are committed to him.

Much love :love7:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
then providing a comfortable life for the rest of his years is just wonderful. :love2:
start him on a healthy diet right away, make him lose the extra weight, it'll help
add to his daily meals. How is he doing with your pups? How is his overall mood?
My dogs are not really liking him... And I think its just because he so focused on humping and marking... So now he has a belly band... He is so passive. Very quite. I wish you guys could have seen him on the grass or when I gave him his bed or when he was on the couch for the first time.. It melted my heart

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm so glad Hugo will get to know love and caring in his lifetime, unfortunately some dogs never get this chance. You are such a wonderful soul to do this for him :)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am so happy that Hugo has you in his life. He must think he is in doggy heaven living at your home. I am so very touched by his story and the wonderful ending it will have now because you cared enough to make a committment to this little guy. :) I know you will be blessed beyond measure. You most assuredly have my respect and best wishes. Deb

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
There is pretty much no point in doing LP surgery on a dog that old. Let him live as long as he can comfortably...which is probably the rest of his 'natural' life. LP is a lot less 'devastating' to our dogs than it is to us.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is pretty much no point in doing LP surgery on a dog that old. Let him live as long as he can comfortably...which is probably the rest of his 'natural' life. LP is a lot less 'devastating' to our dogs than it is to us.
Good to know....... I was worried about him having to go threw another surgery at this age

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Every time I thing of Hugo he melts my heart, and you cheer my heart for loving him. :) I'm so sorry that his news was not better, but from his standpoint he thinks he is in heaven I know. I'm sure for the rest of his life as he experiences wonderful things he has never known thanks to you his life has just become a miracle life.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I agree with everything LS said and I just want to add that you are the best Adrienne and I admire the fact that you are going to make Hugo's golden years the best you possibly can for him.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Poor Hugo. He has found the right home, though! I'm sure he'll more than enjoy his retirement with you. We had a small dog with really bad arthritis and nerve damage to the point where some days he just couldn't get outside without us carrying him. I can't recommend Recovery SA for dogs enough. It made such a huge difference in his mobility. It's AMAZING for aging dogs. A little pricey, but amazing. It comes in a powder form too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am so glad Hugo has you. You obviously love him so much and that's exactly what he needs. My toy poodle eventually went blind in the last years of her life and it's amazing how well a dog can adapt. Sometimes it didn't even seem like she was blind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts