Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone who lives in Florida are you scared or prepared for dennis? I personally hate hurricanes they scare me!! & if I have to leave my house Ive gotta leave my pets behind.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm not scared...I live in North West Palm Beach....hit by 2 hurricanes last year...got roof damage....lost a couple of trees....

Looks like it's gonna hit the keys, south miami and veer left...

Panicking doesn't help any....personally it's just getting annoying now with these darn hurricanes...ugh

And I would never leave my Gizmo or guinea pigs behind... :shock: Nope...sorry...I weathered the last 2 storms in my house, with my pets...to me that's like leaving your kids behind....uh uh...During Frances we went to Key West and found a hotel that took pets.....there is always an alternative....even my friends who live in a mobile home park went to a friends house with their pets, nobody left them alone...Geesh I remember during Andrew all the wandering pets in the streets...it was horrible...

So if it hits this area again...I'll be here in my house...we have a generator and all...plus it's way more comfortable than those awful shelters...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I'm in Louisiana and I am getting a bit nervous! Tuesday night into Wednesday morning we got pounded by Trpical Storm Cindy and she hit some of us pretty hard! We have some areas still w/ no electricity.
If I leave my pets are coming w/ me. I dread taking the cats as I doubt they will be good travel companions but I think it would be cruel to leave them behind. Why couldn't you take yours?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
OMG why wouldnt u take ur pets. So many hotels allow pets now so it shouldnt be a problem.
I am trying not to be disrespectful but how come you can flee but yet you force your pets to ride the storm....they are not as lucky as u to get into a car and flea...they rely on you for protection! Grant it if your house is burning down and u have seconds to save yourself thats one thing but for a huricane you have PLENTY of notice...you can plan a place to stay and plan a safe way to get your pets out.
I live in the midwest and we get tornados. I have a section of the basement set up for my dogs and if I am leaving for work and there is a hint of storms I put them in the basement...heck I have been home for a couple tornado warnings and the first thing I do is grab my girls.
I just dont understand how you can come onto this site and say that you would leave your pets behind. They rely on u for protection, they trust you, they put their lives in your hands and you would just leave them...
You could easly figure out a way to take them....that is just plain cruel to leave them behind.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
OMG....it's so cruel to leave them behind. When I lived in NY and we got hit with tornado's, the very first thing me and my dad did was grab our dogs and my gerbils and head down to the basement. My dad even brought down my fish bowl with my 2 goldfish in it. Please, please, please don't leave your pets behind.

Also, I have a question...is hurricane dennis going to hit the New Smyrna Beach, FL area? Because my grandparents live there. They're in Colorado right now but will be going back to FL very very soon. I was so worried about them last year when the hurricanes hit.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Well my uncle works with maps and weather and has this really good site he gave me the password to. This is the possible sites the hurricane will hit...

CHANCES OF CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES
OF LISTED LOCATIONS THROUGH 8PM EDT SUN JUL 10 2005

MARCO ISLAND FL
FT MYERS FL
VENICE FL
TAMPA FL
CEDAR KEY FL
ST MARKS FL
APALACHICOLA FL
PANAMA CITY FL
PENSACOLA FL
MOBILE AL
GULFPORT MS
BURAS LA
NEW ORLEANS LA
NEW IBERIA LA
PORT ARTHUR TX
I am not sure if your grandparents live anywhere near these cities. You might want to call them and see if they are planning to postpone coming home by a couple days...untill after the weekend.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thanks so much Angel...i'm going to try and get a hold of them...not sure who they're staying with in Colorado because they're there for a wedding. i saved that list though and i'm going to see if they live near any of those cities.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The areas it's hitting are on the west coast. You know Florida is a Peninsula...we have three sides...so it is hitting the west...and going through the gulf of mexico which is why it mentions New Orleans etc.

OMG I just noticed my baby's ticker says "Gizmo is 5 months old" :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I would NEVER leave Jasmine behind. If for some reason I could not take her, then I would be here with her - no doubt about it. Last year, my area (central Florida) got hit by three hurricanes, the last one being the most destructive in our area. I still have a blue tarp on my roof, waiting for a roofer to put on new roof. It will probably be another couple of months yet, so just hope we don't get hit before then.

Last year, I went to my daughter's house because she insisted. My house is really as safe as theirs, but they didn't want me to stay here by myself. I was without power for 6 days - my daughter and family were without power for 2 days. I just pray that this hurricane season is not like last year.

Chico's mom, Dennis is on the west (Gulf) side of Florida, and New Smyrna is on the east (Atlantic) side, so I don't think they will get any of Dennis unless it completely changes course which the forecasters don't predict.

Speaking of storms, it is thundering now - more rain - geez. We are saturated.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I'm very close to New Orleans :shock: ! SO far we are staying, I have my kennels ready to go for the cats if by chance we have to leave. We may go sleep across the street at our nieghbors house once it's on the way b/c I have huge trees in my back yard. I know Kismet won't care to have a sleep over but I don't think Chloe and Eerie are going to like it :?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
How can you leave your pets behind??? They will be helpless and completely at the mercy of the storm and whatever happens afterwards (like looters or vandals or whatever). Please don't leave them behind. Aren't they part of your family? I'd strap Lily to my back if I had to. And if there was just no way possible to take her, then I'd be right there with her to make sure no harm came to her.

The thought of leaving a pet in the path of such danger is appalling to me. :shock:

BTW, what sort of reaction did you think you'd get in THIS forum when you said you would leave your pets to face a hurricane alone? :? :?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I hope that you worded your post wrong, I would never leave any of my pets behind!!
They'd be the first possessions of mine that I would grab!

I can't imagine what it must be like to live where there are hurricanes :shock:
I've been to Florida twice and I love it there but I'd be so scared of a hurricane coming. How do you deal with it though, I mean do you have safe areas of the house that you hide in or what? This isn't meant to seem ignorant or rude, please don't think that, I just have NO idea what it must be like to prepare for a hurricane and I'm curious.
I actually want to come back to Florida this year or next!

I hope it passes fairly calmly though and that it doesn't do too much damage. :?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts