Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I found this board while researching hydrocephalus and I hope there are people that can provide me with their experiences rather than just medical information. I have a 5 month old female chi...Jade...well about a month ago I had to take her to the hospital for symtoms of what seemed like low blood sugar....wobbly head, very sleepy, just kind of out of it.. She had eaten about an hour before and I gave her Nuti-cal at the first sign of symtoms, but after about half an hour, she didn't seem to be responding I thought I should take her in to be examined. Her blood sugar was 89 on presentation, and I was told it was normal...by this time she really wasn't showing any neurologic signs too much anymore, just seemed tired, and head was a little wobbly. She stayed there having lots of tests run, liver shunt...etc. They all came back negative. After talking it over with the doctor we decided it could have been just low blood sugar, because she seemed to come back to normal pretty quickly. A couple of nights ago, the same thing happend....wobbly head, and gait....sleepy....glassy eyes...not responding to Nutrical...and she had eaten, so she should have been fine. After a few hours of her not coming out of it, I took her back to the emergency hospital at 230am. Her blood glucose was once again normal. She stayed that night just for observation and fluids...the next day, I went to pick her up and she's once again back to normal....no signs at all of this "episode". We have an appt. in 4 days to see a neurologist. There is still some suspision of maybe hydrocephalus. She does have the open fontanelle. Other than these episodes she acts like a perfectly normal and smart puppy. Any one have any advice, or maybe had any of the same experiences. Any one had a dog with hydrocephalus that has lived a long life? I'm worried and have done so much research...I would like some real people info. thanks for your time. Amanda

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the board :hello2:

I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I hope all goes well for you both.

I think there is someone here that has a pup with hydrocephalus.
It is a little male she originally purchased for breeding, but obviously couldn't, and kept him anyway.
Did you do a search on this board for hydrocephalus?
I think there was a post where she told her story about the little guy.

Oh, and don't worry about the molera (soft spot) it's pretty common for a normal chi to have it. I have 2 chis and 1 has it and 1 doesn't.

Sorry I can't help you, but I just wanted to say hi and offer you prayers for your little baby.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the welcome! I will do a search and see what I can find...I am looking for any kind of info on what to expect in the future if she is diagnosed with clinical hydro. I pray not...but it seems thats what we're getting to. I'll let you know what we hear on tues. thanks again!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Welcome to you both. Your baby is beautiful! I hope you can find some answers and that all will be well. She just looks so pretty and sweet. I know you are worried.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi and welcome - i dont know much about it other than it is swelling to the brain - alot of chis have a fontanella(molera/soft spot) I dont think this is an indication of hydrocephalus alone.

good luck and I hope your baby is fine :wave:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone, I appreciate all the kind words and support :) . I'll keep you all updated on the situation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I have sent a few emails to the breeder throughout this whole thing...I've recieved one email back telling me to get a second opinion, that a lot of vets only want money...up to this point I've spent over $3000.00 on medical care. Basically they just asked me what her symptoms were and they've never had any problems with their chi's...other than low blood sugar once. They don't really seem to be responding to any of my emails. I live in NY, I got her from a breeder in NC. Yes...I am frustrated with the breeder...She had parasites when I got her, that I found out about a week after I had her...also a cold...and now maybe hydro.. :cry: hmmmm...guess I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What a beautiful color she is!!! I hope she is ok, we will be here for you. It is hard when our chi's have problems, but that is what is so nice about this board, everyone is so helpful and full of info and support. Welcome!!! In a couple of pics she looks almost like a blue color to her? Am I seeing things? Her coloring is just so pretty!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
MandiB said:
I have sent a few emails to the breeder throughout this whole thing...I've recieved one email back telling me to get a second opinion, that a lot of vets only want money...up to this point I've spent over $3000.00 on medical care. Basically they just asked me what her symptoms were and they've never had any problems with their chi's...other than low blood sugar once. They don't really seem to be responding to any of my emails.
The breeder sounds very uncaring. :(
I'd keep emailing them until you do get a reply. As a breeder, they should be very concerned that your vet has yet to rule out Hydrocephalus.

*thinking healthy puppy thoughts for Jade*

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the compliments...yes she is beautiful. She was called by the breeder as chocolate/blue. In some lights she looks like a pale, pale brown...other times she looks blue...kind of a bit of both. :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we're going to the neurologist tonight at 7:30pm. I'm nervous and anxious. I really just want to find out what is wrong no matter what. Jade has been ok for the past week. No more of her strange episodes. Acting like a completely normal puppy. But from what I've read hydro symptoms can come and go. Say a prayer...I'll post what happens when we get home. thanks. Amanda

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hi, when I first brought Harley to the vet (the day after we brought him home) she actually said just because he had a molera, he would have hydrocephalus. BTW, we switched vets after this, because she obviously had no clue about chihuahuas! I found this information and my breeder also told me that sometimes it is really common that vets will mistake an open fontanels as a sign of having hydrocephalus. I quoted this from the Chihuahua Club of America. I hope this helps you and I just thought in case you already didn't read this, that this would help. I hope Jade feels better soon, she is gorgeous! :) Good luck with your appointment too.

Historically, the Chihuahua developed in Mexico and the United States has displayed a "soft spot" on the top of the head. In the Chihuahua this spot, or fontanel, is known as a MOLERA; and is the same as that found in human babies. In the past, this molera was accepted as a mark of purity in the breed, and it is still mentioned in most Chihuahua breed standards the world over.
It is important to note that while many Chihuahua puppies are born without the molera, there are probably just as many born with one and its presence is nothing to become alarmed over.

Unfortunately, many lay people and some veterinarians not familiar with the Chihuahua have tried to link the mere presence of a molera with the condition known as hydrocephalus. This has caused many new-comers to the breed serious concern and undue worry. The truth is that a domed head with a molera present does not predispose the Chihuahua to this condition. Along with the observations of devoted breeders over the years, there is adequate medical evidence to support this statement.

In "Diseases of the Brain" 1989, Green & Braund stated that many clinically normal toy breeds may have open fontanels without associated hydrocephalus.

Drs. Walker and Rivers, Veterinarians at the University of Minnesota concluded that there did not appear to be any relationship between the presence or size of a fontanel and the condition of hydrocephalus.
Dr. Alexander de Lahunta of Cornell University in New York, one of the top neurologists in this country, stated that it would be wrong to conclude that any opening is abnormal.
While it would be impossible to list all the medical documentation here on this page, these few included here are perfectly clear; the presence of a molera does not mean the Chihuahua has a medical problem.

The Chihuahua is a little dog! They belong in the house, at their owner's side, receiving all the love they deserve to receive. With or without a molera, the healthy Chihuahua that is loved and given proper veterinary care will live well into its teens as an irresistible member of the family.
This is the site- http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/molera.html

Jessica

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the info...yes, unfortuanately it's more than her open fontanelle...she has been having strange episodes (I explain further in first post) that seem to be neurologic. The animal hospital that has been testing her knows this is a common trait in chis...she just seems to have alot of hydro symptoms...so the hospital is sending me to the neurologist tonight, since they are the only ones that can tell. Thanks for the support.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts