Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful ten week old female puppy. Took her to the vet for the first time Sat and he mentioned Hydrocephalus because of her large head, large morlera and eyes that sometimes turn out. She runs, eats, plays fine. I am going to another vet for another opinion. The breeder took her to the vet before selling her. She is an applehead. Thank You

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Can you post a good picture of her face? There are people here who have experience with this and can give you some input/feedback.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Without having an MRI scan it’s impossible to diagnose hydrocephalus. I personally would think it interesting to see how many Chihuahuas in general actually have hydro (be it mild or moderate) but without actually testing a cross section of them its impossible to tell.

I don’t think it is a good idea that breeders sell puppies so young – all breed clubs in the UK ask that members don’t sell until they are 12 weeks old. Personally a small one (I’m assuming it’s a small one) I wouldn’t sell until they are older. I have a small one currently and it’s not going to its new home until she is 17/18 weeks old, fully vaccinated and insured.

Did your breeder get a certificate from the vets to say she was in their opinion healthy did you just take the breeders word for it? Not saying that I don’t believe you BTW

HOWEVER normally I would say that a Chihuahua with an overdone head at an early age, combined with a large molera AND showing white of eye IS likely to have hydrocephalus.

Why you want to get a 2nd opinion btw?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Here is a thread that has a lot of information on Hydrocephalus
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chi-chat/54644-hydrocephalus.html
(Zoey's pictures & xrays are on page 5 of that thread)

Zoey has mild hydrocephalus, but enough that it causes her seizures. She is a miracle girl as she just turned 5 years old in October. I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. There are things you can do to help your puppy if that's what it turns out to be. We give Zoey prilosec (it reduces the Cerebral Spinal Fluid by about 26%), which helps keep the pressure down. Depending on how severe it is the large molera will be a blessing. My chihuahua Sebastian had eyes that turned out and he didn't have Hydro, but that is a tell tale sign of Hydro. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Almost all smaller Chi's have a very mild case of Hydro. Most of the time they grow out of it (or it never causes issues), some time not. It depends on the severity of the case. If you want to be certain, have your Vet do an ultrasound of her head. That will rest your mind at ease. I have seen some Chi pups with all the tale/tale signs of Hydro go onto to living full healthy lives, and some with milder forms have serious problems. But in general, a Vet that isn't experienced with smaller Chi's, will almost always tell you that they "could" have Hydro. Their heads can look big compared to their body, wonky eyes, large moleras, kinda "googly" looking, I call it. Quite possibly they will grow out of all those things. If your pup isn't meeting proper milestones for his/her age, has balance problems, slow to gain weight, etc. (failure to thrive), I would have a scan done. Otherwise, I wouldn't stress too much over it. Best wishes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You all are so very kind to respond so quickly. Thank you for that. My second opinion is only because my doggies are as important to me as my children are. I don't seek anything but the best for them. I am not familiar with the Chi breed as I have always had Toy Poodles :) I am going to look into the scan because yes, that will put my mind at ease. She does eat like a little piggie, runs, plays all that most puppies do. The whites of her eyes are not obvious anymore as they were when she was real young. I got her at nine weeks. My breeder just "told" me her vet said the pups were "healthy" but I have no reason not to believe her. I will try to post a pic. I have several of course but not sure how to do it on here. Thanks again for being so kind in trying to help me. I can give my email, I do know how to send pic via email..LOL. Bless You

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
welcome :) cant wait to see pics of your little girl

if you upload your pics to photobucket and use the last code to copy and past into the reply box on the forum the pic should work :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Btw a vetcheck would only indicate clear ears, eyes, free from heart murmers - plainand simply basic checks. 9 weeks IMO is just far too young, especially for a tiny, to leave the breeder. I hope they gave you free insurance.

Looking forward to seeing the little one so come on get some photos of her posted!!!! ;o)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I did post a pic.. don't know where it is. Had hard time figuring it out..LOL Computers and me and NOT good friends. I am soooo appreciative of all the help. The Chi is a new breed for me. I was always a Toy Poodle gal. :) Sure love my Princess. I am hoping the pic I thought I posted shows up. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She doesn't look hydrocephalic to me. How much does she weigh? She looks like an average chihuahua. Some vets do not know toy breeds well and the googly eyes and large heads and an open molera throw them off. If she's eating, drinking, playing, pottying just fine - I wouldn't worry at all.

She is a little doll by the way! And welcome! :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
She looks fine to me! Sweet little girl! Appears to be over 1 lb. to 1 1/2 lbs.. I think your baby will be okay. :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
What a lovely little girl! Congrats on your new addition! Im by no means an expert on hydrocephalus, but to me she looks like a pretty normal chi pup. I hope you get some answers from another vet. Ideally youd like to have a vet who is very knowledgeable and experienced with little dogs- chis in particular. Hope you get an all clear on her!
Welcome to the group!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She doesn't look Hydro at all, maybe a lil sleepy in that pic!

Just keep a good eye on her. Make sure she is moving and playing well. Eating and drinking well, too. If she stumbles around or just seems off/sleepy ALL the time, I would get a second vet to assess her. But really just looks pretty normal in the pic.

Our vet has told me COUNTLESS times they need to x-ray my chi's mouth because "she doesn't have enough teeth" so "they must be stuck up there somewhere". Errr shes fine, chis don't usually have 42 teeth!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I can't see the photo very clearly but I wouldn't say she had an over exaggerated head (which is what generally indicates hydro) - vet is probably overreacting to a larger than usual molera - many vets do not know individual breeds - watch her head and make sure she doesn't bump it as it can kill her. Probably as she is so small, she will have a larger than ususal one but it should reduce in size if not close up altogether (I don't think it will as normally they are left with a small one) Ideally it should be smaller than a 5p. she may have some holes down the size of her head too.

She will be more prone to hypoglycemia so make sure she has fluids down to drink

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw what a little cutie she is. She doesn't look hydro at all to me either.

Welcome to the board. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
She doesn't look hydro to me here is Zoey at about 7 & 1/2 weeks you can see her 'looking' off into space is much more pronounced that your little one:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for your nice comments. Your Zoey is precious. I was really worried about Tess when the vet said that. My doggies are just like my kids. Do anything for em :) I am so glad to have found this site. I look forward to learning from all of you. I will try to post some more pics if I can figure it out again. Blessings.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looking forward to it myself.
Is there a place explaining how to upload photo's and to start a thread.
Sorry for the stupidity on the co mputer

1 - 20 of 29 Posts