Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night we had an emergency. My boyfriend's (and my second baby) chi, Bazil had to go to the emergency clinic. Bazil was playing perfectly fine last night with no signs of anything wrong when he just dropped to the ground and started shaking. We gave NutraCal and he vomitted it up. We called the vet and took him in because it appeared to be a classic case of hypoglycemia (he's only 5 months). The vet did a glucose test and all was fine there. The vet seems to think he's hydrocyphalluc (water head). We are taking him to our vet (last night was just a small town emergency vet). on Saturday morning to get a second opinion.

Has anyone ever heard of this in Chis? Breeders, is this common? I was just so surprised by that diagnosis at 1am. Also, if anyone has had experience with this, did you lose your chi or is it living a healthy life?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
if it's hydrocephalus he needs to be seen ASAP saturday morning may be too late. are some of the other symptoms not being able to hold his head up, leaning his head onto things and pressing his head onto things, heavy labored breathing and the whites of his eyes showing and his head gets swollen. the earlier the better to get this addressed i'm afraid.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd wait to have him examined by your regular vet before jumping to conclusions. Often young chi's can be misdiagnosed as hydrocephalic by vets who are unfamiliar with the apple-domed shaped skulls of chi puppies which is a common characteristic of hydrocephalus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts