Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... the Austin paper did a story on pet-friendly places in town a few weeks back. Most locations that were mentioned were places you normally wouldn't think of taking a dog, i.e. Home Depot. I saw Home Depot listed and, since I drive by there constantly when Cooper and I are coming back from Petco or the coffee shop, I thought I might stop in there sometime and pick up a few things while we were in the neighborhood.

I even did the responsible thing and I called Home Depot, asked for a manager and talked to him about their dog-friendly rules. He said that as long as my dog was on a leash, he was welcome in Home Depot. I figured that was enough verification for me and Cooper really didn't care.

SOOOoooo today, we were driving home and I remembered I needed some air filters for my AC unit thingy-ma-bobby. We went to the Home Depot and I was carrying Cooper inside (he did have his leash on though, just in case) when the greeter dude stopped me and Coop.

He said "hey lady... you can't have THAT DOG in here." (The fact he called Cooper "that dog" really offended me but I gave him a little slack... I mean, he hasn't seen Cooper in his new hoodie.) I looked at him and said "The manager <insert manager's name here> told me I could bring my dog in if he was leashed."

The man, obviously not an animal lover and possibly in need of a vacation or the intimate company of a woman, said "There are no dogs allowed in this store. What do you think this is? Petsmart?" About that time, I saw a man come around the end of an aisle with a chocolate lab on leash. Lucky me!

I pointed at the man and his dog and said "he's got his dog in here." The greeter ROLLED HIS EYES at me and said "yes, but that's a big dog."

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'll save you all from the four-lettered tirade I went on after that statement, making sure just about everyone shopping in Home Depot (yes, even the garden area) heard me. Poor Cooper... he just looked at the guy as if to say "oh, now you've done it."

(Later I felt a bit bad about my screaming at the guy... I get a little testy when it's hot outside but he had no way of knowing that. When the temps drop below the "surface of the sun" range, I am actually quite pleasant.)

In the end, there were about 3 managers, 6 or 7 store clerks and a random construction worker or two surrounding us and trying to keep me off the idiot because I was ready to have a throw-down, WWF style. (WWF, for our international friends, is the World Wrestling Federation.)

I got a $50 gift certificate to Home Depot, my air filters were free of charge and the butthead had to apologize to me for his comments. :)

Anyone need some lumber? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
OMG...I cannot BELIEVE you were treated that way. What is up people's butt's these days? Why the need for people to be so rude? I'm glad you made a big stink about it, because I would have too. And along with your $50 gift certificate, free AC filter, and apology...I think the guy should be FIRED! I'm sick of going into a store and having these "holier than thou" retail workers treat customers like dirt because they hate their jobs/life and are on a power trip.** Good for you for stickin it to him! :D

**I understand that the majority of people who work in retail are NOT like this, (heck, half my family works in retail) but its the ones that are like that who make shopping experiences uncomfortable...I know I'm not the only one who has gone into a store and felt like I was being an inconvenience to the employees.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had three problems with this idiot (all of which I articulated to the manager):
1. He was rude. Plain and simple.
2. He insulted my dog. You can insult me but leave my dog out of it or you're gonna get your head bitten off.
3. He was not treating all shoppers as equals.

If he had just said "excuse me ma'am, but we don't allow dogs in the store" in a polite tone, I probably wouldn't have made a big stink about the whole thing and I would have apologized and left.

Not that I wouldn't have complained in the car to Cooper on the drive home but there IS a sticker on the entrance door that says "no dogs allowed" which I saw on my way in, so I wouldn't have argued with him. I would have just called the store later or tomorrow and spoken to the manager, telling him that he needs to inform the employees of the policy (and remove the sticker).

But that &*$% just got under my skin and I couldn't let him go unpunished. :D (I think he got the poopies scared out of him anyway... I am about 6" taller than him and outweigh him by at least 75 pounds or more so he was pretty scared when I started ranting.)

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Cooper said:
The man, obviously not an animal lover and possibly in need of a vacation or the intimate company of a woman, ........
I got a $50 gift certificate to Home Depot, my air filters were free of charge and the butthead had to apologize to me for his comments. :)

cooper you should do stand up! b/c you are too funny! :laughing3:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
ha ha - aww im sorry you had all that hassle and that rude guy wasnt treating you as an equal. This is the part that made me really laugh

In the end, there were about 3 managers, 6 or 7 store clerks and a random construction worker or two surrounding us and trying to keep me off the idiot because I was ready to have a throw-down, WWF style. (WWF, for our international friends, is the World Wrestling Federation.)

it was the WWF that did it for me lol. Im glad you never gave up!

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's a great story...you should take Cooper on more errands so we get to hear about more jerks being put in their place! :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You are my kind of Chihuahua momma! You and Cooper really do need to sit down and write a book. Omakitty could do the editing... :)

I have taken Jolie to only 2 places, Tractor Supply and Animal Health Center. I was with my husband and he needed to go to Walmart (and you know how Walmart hates dogs). So i had him drop me off at Tractor supply so i could get dog food. But first i went inside and asked if they had any problem with me bringing Jolie in. They said absolutely no problem. While i was there i saw this guy carrying this nearly grown border collie. :lol:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Now THAT is something I would have gone insane over since you even called and the manager TOLD you it was ok!!! That is great that they did everything to make it up to you for the way the greeter treated you!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I swear, the Cooper Posts' keep me laughing my butt off so much! :wink:

Anyway... I'm so sorry you and Cooper were treated so badly and I'm so glad you stood your ground. Nobody needs to be that rude and insulting. Seems to me like a lot of folks have something stuck up their hineys these days. LoL! :lol:

P.S. I'd have gave anything to have been there to see the event and cheer you on! :D

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Go Cooper and Mom, that's a great story. We went to Tractor Supply the other day and while Marcus ususally goes in, that day I wanted to look at some stuff they had outside on their sales rack. We were wandering around outside and one of the managers came out and specifically invited us to come in. He loves that store, he struts around on his leash like he owns the place.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Cooper said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'll save you all from the four-lettered tirade I went on after that statement, making sure just about everyone shopping in Home Depot (yes, even the garden area) heard me. Poor Cooper... he just looked at the guy as if to say "oh, now you've done it."

(Later I felt a bit bad about my screaming at the guy... I get a little testy when it's hot outside but he had no way of knowing that. When the temps drop below the "surface of the sun" range, I am actually quite pleasant.)

:sign5: :laughing6: :laughing4: :laughing3: :laughing8:
OMG I'm sorry you were treated so rudely, but your telling of it had me in absolute fits. That was just too funny! :D And, hehehe, thanks for the WWF explanation, I did figure the word wrestling was one of them, but was stumped by the rest. :wink:

You really really really, should be a writer! :thumbup: You have such a talent for expressing yourself and your experiences! :book:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I can not believe that guy treated you so rudely. I agree with Chicos Mama, he should be fired for talking to a customer that way.

I love the WWF comment though lol It's only 9am and Lina was already looking at me like I was crazy lol. I agree with whoever it was that said you should go on more shopping trips so we get to hear the details of how you almost killed someone lmao! I love it!

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
We don't shop at home depot we go to Lowes maybe you should switch too :lol: I take mine babies all the time to Lowes have only had the kindest comments about them. I would have been furious myself but usually my hubby's the one that gets mad & takes care of unruly turds :lol: He always gets something out of a bad situation, they end up kissing his butt :lol: I could use some birdseed a few plants and some trash bags :lol: :D I'll bring Poco & he'll be sure to pee on the guy for you :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hee. MY friend's mom has a pomeranian and takes him everywhere, and her usual way to get into stores like Wally World with Rami is to take him in his carrier, close up the carrier to amke it look like a purse to get past the greeters, and then bring him out when she gets fully into the store :lol:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i can't believe that!! HE WORKED THERE!! Shouldn't he know dogs are allowed?? And the fact that you called earlier and knew the managers name should count as something.. what idiots.. it seems the greeters are always the worst ones everyone else in the store smiles or pets the dogs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
WWF style!! LOL Thats awesome!! ....At first I wasnt quite sure what I was I getting myself into when I clicked this unusual thread name. hehehe, I hope that jerko got written up!

·
Registered
663 Posts
What's with these department store greeters, lately? Geez! Maybe the Home Depot greeter you had your problems with and that spawn-of-Satan's-seed from Wal-Mart that I had issues with need to get together and see if they can't find some sort of happiness in each other. Josie and I would be more than happy to go back to Wally World and ask dear, sweet, Dolores if she'd like to meet someone we know in Texas. :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
We need to send you & cooper out to every store so you can scare the daylights out of all of them , then the rest of us can bring our babies into all the stores You go girl :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts