Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... to get another Chi!

Toby is just over 8 months old and the light of my life. At the end of July, I am moving to North Carolina. We will be leaving the two other dogs that Toby has grown very close too. I don't know how he is going to do without another dog. He loves to play with Rocky and I am afraid that when we live alone he will begin to act out without him. I will also be leaving him alone for 4-5 hours a day when I start school. He is extremely energetic and likes to play constantly- I don't know if I will be able to keep up with him if he doesn't have a friend to help him blow off steam! He goes on three long walks a day and still wants to play all day.

I am able to afford the monthly expenses of another dog, but not the upfront costs. I have to pay almost $2000 to move and I have a lot of other expenses coming with school. It isn't really feasible to pay for another one right now and I realize that. I want a little girl so much... I don't know what to do.

Should I hold off or do it? I was thinking about taking him to a doggy day care a couple days a week to play, but I am hesitant because of his size (I worked at one that had a "small dog area" where dogs went up to 30 lbs). I don't know ANYONE up there, let alone someone with a dog. And there is a dog park nearby, but Toby gets so overexcited, I don't know if I can trust him to come when I call him, etc (I am working on his recall, though). If he had a friend, though, he could play all day whether I am home or not- I could get more studying done and not have to worry about him being bored and needing to be entertained. Plus, I really want to rescue a girl.

I am so torn.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would honestly wait until school is over. Toby will be fine - dogs just sleep while we're gone, and with three walks a day plus play time, he's a lucky boy! The last thing you want to have happen is TWO hyped up dogs when you get home - because, in my experience, two dogs don't always tire each other out. And then you'll have two dogs to feed, vet, and take care of - and what if there is an emergency? Better to have your money saved in that event ofr Toby. There is plenty of time for another dog once school is over.

As far as energy releasing, why not sign up for an agility or Rally-O class? It will be a tiring mind game for him, and you might meet other dog owners that would like to set up puppy play dates (good for you to meet other people as well!!)

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I would honestly wait until school is over. Toby will be fine - dogs just sleep while we're gone, and with three walks a day plus play time, he's a lucky boy! The last thing you want to have happen is TWO hyped up dogs when you get home - because, in my experience, two dogs don't always tire each other out. And then you'll have two dogs to feed, vet, and take care of - and what if there is an emergency? Better to have your money saved in that event ofr Toby. There is plenty of time for another dog once school is over.

As far as energy releasing, why not sign up for an agility or Rally-O class? It will be a tiring mind game for him, and you might meet other dog owners that would like to set up puppy play dates (good for you to meet other people as well!!)

Just my two cents.
I agree. Plus if you do meet other dog owners have a few play dates, then maybe you could get someone to dog sit whenever you want to go out for fun just you.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think you should go for it. I feel that you will be glad you got another in the long run. I am grateful every day that we got Mojo because I feel that it made Ote less "scared of the world" and more willing to take on adventures and meet new people. They keep each other entertained for hours on end, and it is so awesome!! Go for it!!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico's fav when he goes to the dog sitter is a Rotti--although becasue she loves him she hides his toys :rolleyes:--not the small dogs...you really neveer know who they like. Just make sure that you dive him plenty of exercise. If you can not afford the "up front " cost of another dog how would you deal with an unexpected medical expense ? sometimes peole have thousands of $$ worth of vet expenses, or if you had to move--or whatever. It is a lot easier to find a place to live if you have one small dogs versus "dogs". Go visit some dogs..go to a chi meet-up or something...

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Well, you have undoubtedly heard me say how happy I was that we got more than one. I would never have thought I'd say that or think that!

I also see all you have to manage. You seem to be responsible and very mature though so I would not discourage you because it is clear that you could handle it!

Wonder, as a first step, if you could explore rescues or foster opportunities where you are moving. There are actually Chihuahua specific rescues in some areas. It would give you a trial run so to speak and you would be doing such a GREAT service to a dog in need. If things worked out smoothly you could foster to adopt.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me clarify regarding finances: I have over $1500 in an emergency fund for Toby and he has health insurance. I also have savings for school that I don't want to touch. It's not that I can't afford the puppy, it's that I really don't want to spend the money I have right now... But it is very tempting.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I would personally say go for it, but I am a fairly impulsive person. We got Odie when I was in school full time, had a job, two cats, and two rats. Not the same as having two dogs, but our plates were totally full. I think if it's something that you really want, you make it work. If you're rescuing, the costs won't be as high initially. It sounds like you're pretty organized. Obviously, you're an awesome chi-mom and I think any dog would be lucky to have you!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Karen, that is a great idea- why didn't I think of that! I wonder if I could foster without a backyard, though... I'll be in a 1 bed rooom apt. But I give Toby lots of exercise, so maybe it would be okay. If I foster, it is standard for vet bills and major expenses to be paid by the rescue, right? I know I'd pay for the food/toys/stuff...

I know Toby would love making friends! But he can sometimes be OVER friendly, which makes me nervous. He just loves others so much that he might overwhelm a nervous or frightened new foster. I could make it work, though.

I don't know if I would be able to say goodbye though :(

Thank you Krystal. I have so much to think about before I take the leap.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Let me clarify regarding finances: I have over $1500 in an emergency fund for Toby and he has health insurance. I also have savings for school that I don't want to touch. It's not that I can't afford the puppy, it's that I really don't want to spend the money I have right now... But it is very tempting.
I am going to tell you that this statement seals what I said previous about your level of maturity and responsibility. Toby is your first priority. You understand that and would not want to put his health nor well being at risk by taking on another. You get it. You have planned and thought things through!

Cannot wait to see how you come to resolution!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to tell you that this statement seals what I said previous about your level of maturity and responsibility. Toby is your first priority. You understand that and would not want to put his health nor well being at risk by taking on another. You get it. You have planned and thought things through!

Cannot wait to see how you come to resolution!
Thank you Karen for the lovely compliments- you are making me blush! I would never sacrifice Toby's health or level of care... That's why I don't think now is the right time to take on another of my own. But fostering may be an option, depending on the rescue and what they help with, require, etc. If not, I guess I'll have to work out a way to get him to the dog park, daycare, or something else every day.

And I could never have been so prepared for Toby if not for my parents. I originally saved most of this money to pay for a puppy, but they ended up getting him for me as a late graduation present. So I put that money in a savings account for my little man. Insurance doesn't cover everything, so I needed to prepare for the worst. I still put a few spare bucks here and there in the account, but I am jobless right now (moving for school and can't work in law school) so I don't really know.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
if you are 'fighting the urge'....... you've already lost the game.....
Yes! I must agree, once it gets under your skin it doesnt go away. Thing to figure out now is when would be the best time to get another when. I woyld say get mived and settle first. See how your school/work schedule is going to be like and figure in all the expenses and how you woyld cater to the the needs of a puppy with your current engagements.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would definitely go for it! Besides, if you get a younger adult dog (like a few years old) they are more low maintenance and not as costly as a puppy since they probably had all their baby shots so all you would need to commit to is yearly check ups. Which isn't so bad because it technically isn't an upfront cost. I leave Haru for work, and sometimes people say it's bad for her but she gets lots of walks a day and meet lots of people when I am free :D I am actually looking for an older pal for her right now too! Hope everything hoes well for you and Toby with the move :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'm in the same boat! I would really love to get Honey a big brother! She has 2-3 walks a day, lots of playtime in the garden and house, but she still has more energy than a wasp in a can of coke! I always thought if i had 2 dogs, they would play with each other and wear each other out, is this not always the case?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.