Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm new here, and I am in need of some major help. We have a 2 yr. old male chi named Pablo. He is our world. The problems we are having is his little tummy gets so upset every couple of weeks. Without any warning, his tummy starts to make these terrible noises, I mean it just sounds horrible. He doesn't want to eat, or drink anything, and he sleeps a lot. During these periods, his stools are for the most part are firm, but there have been times where they seem softer, with a little blood/mucus mixed in, but NEVER RUNNY! These periods of un-well only seem to last a day at most, then as quickly as his sickness comes on, it's gone, and he's eating and playing just fine. Right now he eats Nutro for sensitive stomachs, his treats are the same. (he hates this stuff, but eats it when he can't stand being hungry anymore) I HATE it when he feels bad, it makes me worry so much. The first time he got sick, I rushed him to the vet, she said he had a bout of colitis, she gave him 2 seperate meds, and sent us ion our way. A few times folling that initial visit, she would just fill the meds if I called with the same symtoms. Well yeaterday when I got home from work, Mr. Pab's was not feeling well again, I called the vet, she said 1 tbl spoon of pepto 2x's per day for a few days. We tried that once, and I swear it made him feel worse.
Could he be allergic to something in the food? Could it be stress from seperation anxiety? He just hates it when we leave to go to work, I'm thinking of changing his food to either Wellness, or Innova EVO, has anyone used these foods with their chi's? Has anyone else had trouble with
sens tummies?
OMG I am so sorry this is so long, I guess I'm desperate! SORRY!
Tanks for any help you can give me!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Welcome! Poor guy. My Mother-In-Laws Silky Terrier has a sensative tummy. I got her to try Natural Balance Allergy formula and he seems to be doing much better. During the days his tummy is a bit upset, she'll make him boiled chicken and rice. Her dog is also on Tavist (1/2 pill once a day). You might try asking your vet if Tavist would be a possible solution.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i would ask the vet about using pepcid. i had a pointer with IBD and i used a sensitive skin sensitive stomach food. (i think it was pro plan maybe, fish and rice. she also had food allergies....) that was all she could eat though. no treats at all, even if they were food allergy treats. along with pepcid.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Last year Lily started having bouts of upset stomach with vomiting and diarrhea. You could hear her tummy rumbling from across the room. There were several nights when she just couldn't sleep and the only thing that seemed to soothe her was having her tummy lightly rubbed. Pepto didn't help at all.

Our vet finally determined that Lily had a problem digesting fat, even small amounts. He started her on Prescription Diet Canine I/D canned food (because she simply would not eat the dry stuff). I also got some chicken flavored Tagamet (from a pharmacy that will specially flavor your pet medicine for a nominal charge) but Lily never really needed that. Just switching to the new food did the trick.

I know how upsetting this must be. Please keep us posted and let me know if I can offer any further information.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for all your help and advice. I made a few notes, and will probably try them all. I went to the pet store and bought Innova EVO, read somewhere that the tummy upset could probably be helped with higher protein. Placed some Nutro in 1 hand and Innova in the other, and he went for the Innova. I just want him to feel better. YOu have no idea how happy I as to find this forum! I've spent the last few hours just reading old post, Pablo is such a normal chi, aside from his tummy problems! We've only had him since Nov., and it took only a sec before he stole our hearts and started running this house! He is King Pablo! Thank you again, for your help, and I promise to keep you posted! I'm sure I will be on quit a bit now that I found ya'll! LOL

Thanks!
Carrie

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I haven't had this problem, but my grand-daughter's mini doxie does. She was having bouts of upset tummy and runny stools. After the vet running some tests, he determined she has food allergies, and she is on the Prescription Diet food that Rachael mentioned. That is all she is allowed - no treats at all. She's been on this for a couple of months now, and is doing so much better.

Of course, I'm sure there could be other reasons for the upset. This is just one possibility. I know it is so upsetting when our furbabies are sick - good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
just a note about science diet prescription I/D, it isn't recommended for long term use. it is the equivalent of boiled rice and chicken that vet's recommend you give your pet when they are having tummy troubles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for that info on science diet, I think I still want him tested for allergies, I'd like to know what allergies he may have. How can you change your chi's food slowly, if he just picks out the OLD food and spits it on the floor? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Pablo's Mommy said:
Thank you for that info on science diet, I think I still want him tested for allergies, I'd like to know what allergies he may have. How can you change your chi's food slowly, if he just picks out the OLD food and spits it on the floor? Thanks for the help!
as long as you offer the new food with the old food you are doing your part.... but if they ahve other ideas on eating what they want to eat you have no choice or say in the matter lol.... my pointer was like that with the last food we tried her on and she lost a pound during the switch over so after 3 days the vet just said well since she is eating only the new food and none of the old food then just give her the new food and not worry about mixing the 2. what good was mixing it if she picked the new and wouldn't touch the old anyway, right. also find out about pepcid, it really helped my pointer out when her IBD would flare up.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Carrie, it is very possible that your dog has stress-related colitis. Is there a specific situation (other than separation) that seems to be triggering these bouts? Trip in the car, visit with a certain person or dog, workers coming to the house? Does your dog seem to have GI upset after you clean the house (if so, what kind of cleaning products are you using)? There's so many other things to consider, but there's also a possibility there are multiple unique stressful situations that are causing it as well.

The presence of blood or mucous in the stool makes me suspicious of many things, although small amounts are sometimes seen in cases of chronic colitis, it can indicate an underlying cause.

Has your vet done an abdominal radiograph to rule out any kind of foreign body? Any bloodwork to rule out systemic disorders or toxicities? Any abdominal pain or distension on palpation? Any fecal tests to rule out parasites (cyclic bouts of diarrhea often match the life cycle of the eggs hatching in larva/adults) or dewormers/antibiotics given? Any food allergy tests (like VARL or Liquid Gold)?

It sounds like your vet is just saying "chronic idiopathic GI upset" and instead of trying to find you an answer, she is just doing the "quick fix combo" of Metaclopramide/Pepcid. This is a short term treatment and I am surprised that she/he did not work up the case considering the problem is chronic and unresolving.

I would highly consider asking another vet for a second opinion, rule out things like pancreatitis, IBD, food allergy, parasites etc...

I suggest asking your vet for advice before putting your dog on a high protein diet. High protein diets sometimes cause constipation, and with a dog that is already having bouts of GI upset, this can sometimes make matters worse, especially in the long run.

I completely understand you are desparate to find out what's wrong with Pablo and are trying everything possible to get him to eat, and be happy. In order to do what's best for him, you need to approach the problem by taking care of his entire well being and have a vet rule out things 1 by 1 scientifically. I will admit, there is some great information on the net, especially on this board, but every dog and scenario is different, and only a vet will know what is best for your dog, and can point you in a medically sound direction. If your current vet cannot, there are a million others out there who would be happy to help you! =)

-Nate

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi
please check out flint river . com have been using their food a while and the have choices for dogs that have allergies etc, take a liik
michael

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ilovemypuppet- I will definitely check with my vet about the pepcid, along with a lot of other things. I will say that this morning Pablo ate all of his breakfast as soon as I put it down, which I do not think he's ever done! Except for the "old" food, I do believe that is still on the floor! LOL On a serious note I think I am filling a whole notebook with his symptoms, times it happens, what he eats, etc. I also have started taking notes, and writing down questions to ask our vet! I'll let you know...
ilovesadie- I have been doing research for months on chronic colitis, and yes, I sometimes feel like this has got to be it, his flare ups seem to happen more during the week, when we are not home, instead of on weekends when we are home. I also feels like our vet wants to keep with the "Quick Fix", which drives me crazy. She has not done any x-rays (yet), but he has been tested for parasites, all of which came back neg, and some blood work up, everything was fine.(meds were flagel, and something else, it was an antibiotic/antimicrobial) We really don't have much company, and as for "workers" around the house, only every few months to have our house sprayed. I am very careful when I clean the house that he is no where near where I scrub the floors, or any cleaning products for that matter.
I have also had my suspensions about the allergy aspect due to Pablo rubbing his face on the carpet at times, sneezing, shaking of the head, and licking of the front paws. Now all of these do not happen all the time, but enough for me to notice. I can say that I have been learning alot, and I do plan on calling our vet on Monday. Should he have chronic colitis, I do have concerns, I do not want to just treat the symptoms with steroids his whole life, I feel that the flare up are caused by something, just need to find it. Pablo does not have a very stressful life, he has to be the most loved baby in the world! Ever since we found him in Nov. our worlds have revolved around him!

I really want to thank you for everyone who has taken the time to try to help me and Pablo, it means a lot to me! I know that we will in time we will figure it all out!

THANK YOU!!!!
Carrie

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Micheal- Flint River foods is on my list to try, should the Innova EVO not work. Thank you! I think I have a half a page of foods I want to try! I will try and do about anything to make sure Pablo is a well and happy little boy! :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Pablo's a lucky little guy to have such loving parents. We all know how a chi can work its way into your heart until you've completely forgotten what it was like before he/she arrived on the scene to start running the show. :lol: I think you're also very smart to take notes and, in the long run, it may help you find a diagnosis that much quicker.

In reading your original entry it occurred to me that your vet wasn't taking this as seriously as you'd like him to. Maybe just trying to apply a band-aid but not trying to find the cause of the problem? If it were me, I'd look for a new vet. All the band-aids in the world aren't going to give Pablo the quality of life he deserves.

Keep us posted, as I know we're all concerned about your boy. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rachel

Thank you all for your concern, and I promise to let you know how all this turns out. Like I said before one way or another I will find out what causes his tummy to hurt, even if that means I need to go to vet school myself! :lol:
Every time he starts to not feel well it seems like I obsess about it, even though I know it won't last but maybe one day. My boss's son suffers from Crohn's disease, and when he's on steroids he is well, no stomach problems what so ever, I know that he begins to gain weight, but when he's been off the steroids for a while he has a Crohn's flare up, and I'm sure everyone knows that steroids help with allergies. Right now he's being tested for every allergy on the planet. So it makes me wonder if he is allergic to something, and due to this allergy it will causes a colitis or colitis like flare up. We just need to find that one common link ya know.

As for Pablo being lucky to have us for his parents, we are the lucky ones! We only had 2 cats and some fish before he came along, we got the cats cuz wee thought they probably snuggled more than a dog- boy were we wrong! Anyway, my sister found him running around a 6 lane highway in Jacksonville, being picked on by 2 pit bulls. She pulled over and rescued Pablo, and someone else called animal control for the pit bulls. Pablo must have had a million fleas on him, no meat on his bones, very skinny, and his nails were so long they curled around like circles. We really feel that a man had abused him, because he was so mean, and so scared of my fiance. It took 3 months for them to form a bond, now they buds. But if he had his choice Mommy or daddy, mommy wins hands down. He's our pride and joy the apple of our eyes. He's had such a hard life, I just want him to be 100% happy!

As for the band-aide, our vet will either help me find the cause, and not just treat the symptoms or we will search for a new doctor! I'm a nice person, but don't mess my Pablo! :lol:

Thank you again sooooo much for the help!

Carrie

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the compliment, but after reading a lot of the post on this forum, I am really not that much different than anyone else, I just happen to love my boy very much! I truly believe that there was a reason why God chose us to be his family, and I'll take care of him as if I had him myself! As far as an internist, what ever it takes, but that is a very good idea. I know that our vet is a fan of the steroids, one of our cats had to have her tail amputated,(long story) and when her silly cone collar can off, she wouldn't stop scratching. I mean she almost ripped her face off! Our vet said it was stress induced, and gave her a steroid shot, plus a script for "just in case". Thank God the shot worked and I have not had to use the other stuff. But I will defiantly make sure I write down the idea of an internist in my Pablo Handbook, and ask the vet!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hi. Just wanted to say I have a 2 yr old named Pablo, too! :)
Your Pablo is very lucky to have you (I know, I know...we are the lucky ones to have our chis, lol). Good luck with his problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is so cool! I love my Pablo, but guess who's tummy os making the noises today? Yep, he was fine this morning, come home from work, and his tummy! Getting ready to call the vet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts