Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dixie is 3 years old and ever since I have had her she has had tummy problems. She has been on Royal Canin chihuahua 28 for 2 years. Just about every 2 weeks she has a bad tummy ache. Two weeks ago she was really ill, rushed her to the vet, they gave her a shot and told me to give her Hysophen, if she has another attack. She did and I gave her the dosage he recommended. During her tummy aches,the pill did help. During her tummy aches,she wants to eat lots of grass, sometimes she cries out in pain. I had her at the vets last week and he told me that she may have to be scoped. That they are finding ulcers in Chihuahuas. After another spell this past Friday, her vet told me to give her Pepcid 5 mg twice a day. I hope this helps. I am worried about her. I don't feed her any table scraps and chicken seems to make her sick. If she steals any thing she always gets a tummy ache. Rice and Lamb agrees with her. She is a picky eater. All her blood work was fine. I am so confused in what to do for her. Anyone here ever experienced this problem?
wilma

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello, I am sorry about your little Dixie. RC is not a highly rated dog food. She may have a problem with the fillers or grain in the food. You can check out dogfoodanaylsis.com to get ratings of food. And here is a thread on pre-made or feeding raw if you choose to go that route. I know there is a post in there about RC
Chihuahua Diet and Nutrition - Chihuahua Forum : Chihuahua Breed Dog Forums

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
My daisy was on rc as a puppy when I got her and she was so ill all the time she had blood pouring out her bum to the point if she was on my lap itbwas on my trousers I spent a fortune on antibiotics and put her on prey model raw and we've never had a problem unless she's sneaked a piece of kibble from another dog at their house!!

I would suggest putting her on something like ziwi peak or thk you are lest likely to have any issues as they are dehydrated raw foods 6* rated and better than any kibble in the shops. It could be the grains or the chemicals they use but it's horrible seeing your dog like that

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If chicken makes her sick then it's most likely her dog food that is making her sick as Chicken Meal is the first ingredient. I would either switch to Raw or try to find a dog food without Chicken as the ingredient. Before I switched Zoey to raw she ate By Nature Salmon Oatmeal & Yogurt (you can get at Petsmart) or Natural Balance Duck & Potato because she was allergic to chicken/beef in cooked form (she is however not allergic to them in raw form). She has also had several bouts with Helicobacter Gastritis/Ulcers, and gets really sick from them, she usually will throw up several times a day, and gets a belly ache, when she has ulcer flare ups she gets 3-4 different drugs (2 antibiotcis, an anti-secretory & and anti-acid) for 3 weeks, that usually clears her up, she is prone to however flare ups.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I agree about the RC, defo has lots of fillers in it.
That site you were given has good kibble mentioned on it.
There are far better quality kibble where meat is the main ingredient and it doesnt always have to be chicken either.
Hope you find something that helps. xx

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Red was on RC with no problems at all but I have switched him over to Acana which I feed Jake as its a better quality feed and it means I only have to buy the one brand instead of two.

I really feel for you and Dixie, you for the worry and Dixie for her pain. Hope things do improve sooner rather than later.

Deme x

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called her vet and he has placed her on Pepcid - 5 mg a day- for 2 weeks. We started yesterday evening. She did very well today, played more and ate better. No sign of a tummy ache. I am going Wednesday to see what better dog food I can find for her. I want to thank everyone for helping me here, your support means so much. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of Dixie's tummy problems! I have to agree with the other posters here. RC is promoted by vets but unfortunately it's not a high quality food.

You would probably be AMAZED at how she would respond to a prey-model raw diet. Our chis did fabulously on it! We had extensive digestive issues with our Great Danes which led us back to kibble and we are currently using Orijen for all the dogs, as hubby wanted a break from raw (and, in his defense we were going through quite a lot of stress and medical expenses with the danes so I agreed to a switch to kibble for everyone until the Danes tummies are more settled). ETA: their digestive issues were not due to raw but we needed to rule this out - my chis NEVER had issues on raw - frozen, dehydrated, or whole prey model (their FAVORITE!).

I will warn you that vets aren't exactly jumping on board with raw diets and part of that comes from their comfort level, part of it because most practices are compensated for supporting one brand or another. Surprisingly, nutrition isn't a topic covered as extensively as one might think when studying veterinary medicine! Oftentimes the lectures are given by pet food manufacturers over the course of a day or two!! Furthermore, universities themselves are funded by pet-food manufacturers. Your vet will likely recommend a prescription diet before recommending a switch to a high quality kibble and will most likely deter you from raw altogether. I encourage you to research your options! If you would like to PM me for more information about my experience with prey-model raw, dehydrated raw, frozen raw, and high quality kibble, I'd be more than happy to discuss our experiences with you!

Also, the term, "high quality kibble" can be confusing. Until I started researching nutrition, I honestly thought Science Diet was a high quality kibble. I heard someone mention, "If you can buy it at PetSmart, it's not high quality" and I was confused!!! I now fall in line with that reasoning with the exception of Blue Buffalo and possibly Wellness - they just started carrying this and I'm not sure what changes the company has had - there have been a few companies who have sold to larger labels so that's something to consider if you're interested in doing the reserach.

Below I'll paste a list that a member of my Great Dane forum posted to help people new to high quality options. Please excuse me if this kind of cross-posting is deterred and I'll delete!! The following is courtesy "FAUST" on Danes Online forum:

If you are looking for a no grain kibble (most have locators on their website to find retailers near you):

Orijen - Adult, 6fish, or Red Regional - organic, high quality ingredients, 6 unique meat sources. Found at pet specialty stores

Taste of the Wild- great quality at a cheaper price, 5 unique meat sources, found at many local feed and farm stores. 3 formulas to choose from.

Fromm Grain Free Surf and Turf- great quality food from a great privately owned company. They use top of the line ingredients and while their prices are on the high end you are getting your monies worth. Can be harder to find, but look for it at your specialty pet food stores.

Innova: EVO: - one of the best grain free foods out there. High calorie, high protein (with 4 unique protein sources), low carb and packed full of nutrients. While it is a great option for a grown Dane, it is not a balanced formula for a growing puppy.

Before Grain - Buffalo, Salmon, Chicken - very good quality food made by Merrick. Has nice moderate numbers throughout.

Acana -Grain Free - this food has 3 unique protein sources and is of the same makers of Orijen. It is a more moderate food in terms of calories and protein but has less meat content as well. Potato is the second ingredient in this formula.

Instinct- Rabbit - the other instinct formulas have too high mineral counts for a growing pup, but the Rabbit formula is right on the mark. It has top notch ingredients and a unique protein source. It does not contain chicken, other than chicken fat and is a nice kibble for a dog with allergies.

Canidae ALS Grain-Free- good quality 4 unique meat sources, found also at farm and feed stores, good price for the quality and 2 formulas to choose from.

Wellness Core- great quality ingredients but high price tag, comes in adult, reduced fat and ocean. I have found ocean harder to find. Often problems with dogs wanting to eat the food. Apparently not the tastiest. Petco.

Natural Balance Potato and Duck or Sweet Potato and Venison- Not the best choice but if your location is remote and your pet has allergies it could work for you. Limited ingredient formulas, nice for sensitive stomachs and allergies. Petco.

Nature's Domain: Salmon/Potato- from Costco. It is their new grain free option that is fantastically priced around 28dollars a 35lb bag and is the same quality about as ToTW Pacific Stream or Natural Balance. It is a Diamond product.

Grain Inclusive:

Artemis - One of the best quality grain inclusive foods on the market. Great quality ingredients and several options for formulas.

Acana - several different grain inclusive options made with organic. local Canadian ingredients. have 3 unique protein sources in each.

Fromm: Any food from their product line is top of the line. They are a privately owned company that focuses on quality and is a higher price tag but worth the cost. Can sometimes be found in specialty pet stores.

Canidae ALS- great ingredients and found at farm and feeds. Good cost per bag and a solid company. Not good for sensitive stomachs and not all dogs can handle this food, I suggest a small bag to start with to make sure it works.

California Natural: High quality limited ingredient kibble. Great meat content. Harder to find and pricey. Often found at specialty pet stores.

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Adult - Great food for the price. Quality ingredients and great meat content. Not great for sensitive stomachs and I would suggest a small bag to try out before purchasing and commiting to the lable. Also found at farm and feed stores.

Innova - top of the line dog food with great ingredients but pricey. Often found at specialty dog stores. They have a few different formulas inclusing a red meat formula.

Merrick: Has many different flavors and seems to be quite tasty. Quality ingredients and great meat content. Very cutesy names and priced around the same as the lower end grain frees. Uses a good amount of grains but they are on the higher quality scale. Uses around 4 unique meat sources as well. Found at pet specialty stores and farm and feed stores.

Solid Gold Hund n Flocken(puppy): designed based on diets of European Great Danes years ago. It is pretty heavy on grains but they use high quality ingredients. You are looking at a nice price tag on this brand tho. Petco.

Wellness 5 mix: same taste issues but great ingredients. Carries about the same price tag as the CORE label but has a few different options as far as formulas. Petco.

Mid- range Grain Inclusives (Quality of Ingredients):

Eagle Pack Hollistic Large and Giant Breed Puppy: Has a slightly higher meat content than the Original and does not use corn in this formula. Can be hard to find depending where you live and I would look at specialty pet stores and farm and feeds. It carries a pretty decent price tag as well.

Eagle Pack Original Large and Giant Breed Puppy: Often used by Dane breeders because studies were done and it was specifically made for the giant breed puppies. I personally am not a fan of the ingredients, but many Danes have been raised on it sucessfully. It simply has too many grains and corn to be higher imo. Pricey for the ingredients.

Precise Precise Plus: the new endorsement to replace Eagle Pack by The Great Dane Lady. It is a decent kibble but lacks in quality. Grain heavy. I am not sure where it is located. Very similar quality and composition as EP.

Blue Buffalo: They make a few formulas that are of decent quality and very accesable. They can be found at Petsmart and petco.

Kirkland Chicken and Rice - mid range dog food at an affordable price. It is found at Costco​

ETA: You'll notice there are a few Large/Giant breed products - obviously, you'd want to go with a small breed variation but most of these foods don't separate by breed; that is more of a marketing ploy than true science!

Also, since digestive issues are present, I would recommend avoiding the grain-inclusive products (I've made them light gray) as grains are a high source of allergies. Stick with the first section (Grain-Free).

Here's a link to some raw diet info: Myths About Raw: With all the premium kibbles available, is raw really necessary?

and here's an interesting article highlighting some of the points I've mentioned here. Its from the UK but completely relevant to the states as well: Is the food you're feeding your pet killing it? (and making your vet rich) | Mail Online

I know, when faced with physical challenges, so much of this kind of talk can be confusing and overwhelming! Hopefully I haven't added to that confusion. Just remember that we're here to help and I'm sure the raw feeders on here have even MORE info to help your sweet Dixie!

My prayers are with you - for Dixie's health and for clarity and wisdom as her Mama!!

blessings!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts