Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mama got me this pretty new harness and matching leash at Park Ave Dogs...

Look at the pretty bow, and it's orange and white (like me-hehe!!)

What you can't see in the pics is I am shivering like crazy AND when mama took me outside to walk, I wouldn't move no matter how hard she tried!!!! I HATE my new pretty harness!!!! :foxes15::foxes15:

Help!! Do ya'll think she will ever learn to like it? She is 4 years old. Is this too old to learn to walk with a harness?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
aww, it is so pretty! has she ever walked with a different kind of harnes, or has she walked on a leash before at all? i dont think its too late.. i think she can catch on

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Leave it on her in the house to adjust to it. Once she is used to the harness, attach the leash and let her drag that along in the house to get used to it. Soon she will forget it is there!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have never walked her, so all this is new to her. I will try that Ashley thanks.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
when i got Peyton i think she was around 2 years old and never been walked on a leash before. She was let out in a fenced in back yard and thats it.
the thing that i think really helped her get used to it was Minnie and Tootsie. She got to love her new sisters and i took all 3 out for a walk and she saw them and wanted to follow.
Does your other dog , walk on a leash? have you tried walking the 2 of them at once?

also i am thinking if theres some kind of treat she really loves it could help to give her a treat when the harness is on...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Elaine. I will try to walk them together with treats and see how that works.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Awwww haha! That's so cute! I just ordered my park ave one yesterday too! But I don't leave things like that on Haru for too long. She chews through everything. (Broke a collar and a leash already), definitely be patient with her and she will adapt for sure :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
she may not like it but she looks beautiful in it. ! I think Ashleys suggestion is a good one, along with using treats....I can't believe she is 4 yrs old...she looks like a puppy ....

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Lol, awww. She does look very pretty, though! Gemma still hates her harness. She tries to hide when I get it out, and then she shakes for a few minutes after I put it on, but after she gets outside she usually forgets about it. Sometimes it takes a few minutes of her sitting on the ground and not moving to actually start getting interested in walking. I give her cheese when I put it on too but it doesn't seem to make a difference. She's even more terrified when I go to take it off. The sound of the velcro freaks her out!

I do very much wish there was an invisible, feelingless harness, lol. Then Gemma would go crazy on walks.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It will take time. Just like any other dog it will take time. My family got a rescue that was put in a cage most its life because they want her to breed with their full breed dogs and she wasn't a full breed so they didn't like her. (just a back story) But we taught her walk on a leash and she did pretty good too. I think Lulu will learn its just something new and its a change and like humans we dont like change much either.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I love it Tina, Chanel has the same one, it's my favorite! :)
Lulu looks beautiful! I like seeing pictures of your little sweetie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts