I feel your pain. We decided we were getting Penny when she was 3 weeks old, so I had a looong wait until I could pick her up. However, even though I had weeks to prepare I had everything ready way too early. It is just so hard not to go shopping for cute puppy things
I know you're excited to get your puppy, but honestly, 6 weeks is WAY too young for her to be separated from her Mama and her litter mates. Even 8 weeks is pushing it. Chihuahuas not only benefit from staying longer, it's also a health concern. Too young and the danger of hypoglycemia is much greater. I hope you reconsider taking her home that young.
I will take her whenever they tell me she is ready. I know the longer the better...these pups were an unplanned litter and the people have 8 dogs all together not counting the pups, so I want to bring her home and take care of her...just her, and make sure she gets vetted because they will not be doing it.
It's so exciting, with Tulula we waited for 6 weeks, it was agony lol. She was well worth the wait. Teddy I came home with him after viewing him, he was 9 weeks old. Before you know it the time will be upon you to get her. Good luck and I hope all goes well.
I know you are excited but please do not get her for at least another 6 weeks 8 preferably she should not come
Home until 12 weeks. Regardless of whether it was a planned litter or not the puppies breeder owes these puppies the best upbringing. Bringing her home before she is ready (which is 12 weeks) will just be detrimental to you and her.
You say you will get her vetted because they will not do it? Can I be rude and ask why on earth you are getting a puppy from these people?? If they are not providing for them getting them
Vet checked and vaccinated then why give them your hard earned cash??
You are better of finding a reputable ethical breeder and getting a puppy that has been raised appropriately there are plenty out there.
You already love her :cloud9:
I know you want the best for her; and until she is at least 11 to 12 weeks,
that means being with her littermates and her mommy. Small breed dogs
need more time before they are ready to be separated from their little
It's what she gets from socializing with her own littermates and immunities
from nursing from her mommy that she will get by staying there.
Going to a new home is very stressful and can bring on life-threatening hypoglycemia.
A Chi needs to be a bit older to prevent this. Also, the younger they are, the
more often you have to feed them to keep their blood sugar stable.
She should be in no danger from being in a home with many other dogs. If you
feel the breeder is not going to care for the litter before you take your
puppy home--then please don't get your puppy from them. This Board is
filled with stories of heartache. Please, think carefully about where and
when you get your puppy. This single choice will affect you and your puppy for
your entire future together. Best wishes with your decision.
I can really, really understand that need to "rescue" a dog from an uncertain future, or a certain fate. It's why both of mine are in fact rescues, rather than purchased from a reputable breeder. My choice to obtain an animal whose past was unknown and future health was uncertain because of it. That rescue mentality that I have compelled me to take my little dogs away from their very nasty circumstances and replace it with a life of luxury and excellent care.
I'm sure the OP is getting pretty annoyed at all of us, including me, begging her to wait on this puppy, and/or to get a different dog from a reputable breeder. It's hard to wait, hard when you've lost your heart to an animal, and harder still when its circumstances make you feel that it NEEDS you. That need to rescue is a very strong pull indeed. That, and she came here wanting us all to celebrate with her and be happy and excited for her, and instead all we can do is rain on her parade and tell her NO, don't do this!
So I for one understand how desperately you want this puppy and how disappointing it is for you to not get the response you wanted to. I really do understand that urgent need to rescue something in need. I get it, really I do. And honestly, if you've really lost your heart to this animal, there's nothing anyone of us here can say that is going to sway your decision.
So instead I'll offer a caution. As callous as these owners appear to be about this litter and the puppies, (not to mention the irresponsibility of the "unplanned" nature of the litter) be prepared for your puppy to be in bad health, and to have future health problems. I pray that she won't and that you'll be lucky. But her start in life is bad, her familial history worse and I hope you're ready with a strong heart and full wallet for the problems that may well be in front of you with this little one.
Both mine had health issues when I rescued them, issues that I was prepared for both emotionally and financially because I KNEW that that's what you get when you rescue, a future of unknowns, ill-health (possibly for life) and greater financial outlay.
I hope you're prepared for all that if you go ahead with this.