Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am SO amazed...
at how fast these little dogs pick up new tricks..... I was watching some vids here with their dogs doing cute tricks and wondered how hard it would teach Chico a new trick..... he has the 'sit' down pat but nothing else.... well, I tried "spin" last night, figured it would take a long time for him to figure it out.... after 3 times showing how to spin he was ready for the test....lol.... I tried this morning before going to work..... "SPIN" I said... and low and behold he turned around in the cutest little spin I ever saw!!! :cheer:

I am so proud of my little Chico.... :love4:

BTW, how do you teach "BANG!" and have the dog fall over 'dead'...that looks hard to teach and I don't know where to start....

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Leila does bang really well. I had already taught her to roll over. So when I did bang with her I would make my hand into a gun say "BANG" I gently rolled her to her side and placed my hand there as to hold the position. Then i gave her a treat. I did this probably 3 or 4 times and after a couple days of it she had it down.
I agree they are really smart dogs!! I have taught her all i can think of and she never forgets, and since i'm watching her cals. I don't do tricks very often. lol

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Awww yay Chico they catch on really quickly daisy can do a bunch of tricks and will bust them out if she sees the treat bag!!

I did bang but putting her on a down then getting the treat and taking it from her nose over and behind her head so she had to lay down on her side with her paws up

Crawl is a good one I love crawl!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Ziva my min pin is being trained in just 5 short sessions (clicker training) she understands the following:
Sit
Down
Puppy Pushups (rapid sits/downs)
Come (working on it)
Gimme 5
Gimme 5 other paw
Stick em up (sits up with legs in air)
Roll over
Army Crawl
Smile (shows her teeth)

So yes you can teach a dog more than one thing at a time :). I don't necessarily think there is a 'time' limit on how long between tricks. It's more repetitions. Say for a 5 minute session with Ziva, she might do 10 repetitions of sit, and 10 of Gimme 5 etc. Most of these things are things she is doing on her own and I am 'shaping' (click n treating) when she does them as well as giving a command when she does them.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Can you teach two dogs the same trick at the same time?
Yes it depends on how you are training, I use clicker training so if I were training 2 different dogs at the same time to do the same thing I would use 2 clickers with different sounds and make sure each dog was primed to their particular clicker, it will take a lot more work but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey can shake Hands, she gets her belly scratched as a reward. But thats all she can do

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I did about 5 at once don't spend long on each one coz they get bored

Daisy was scared of the clicker hahaha I was gonna try clicker with lotus but she's a little neurotic so not sure how shell react

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
You first just say bang and you lay them down when they get that you enter the gun(your finger lol).And that is pretty much it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts