Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to make a long story short, I feed Lion Orijen and thought the kibble was too big to feed Penny. I went ahead and bought a 6 pound bag of the Chicken Soup puppy food that the breeder feeds, only to find out she was sending me home with a 6 pound bag, too! Well, I didn't want to refuse it because I knew that she had gone out of her way that day to buy it for me. I figured I would feed Penny that food until the two bags were gone, and she was large enough to handle the Orijen kibble.

Turns out she can eat it just fine! I caught her having a little snack out of Lion's food bowl. Great! Now I have 12 pounds of food that I don't need. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I'm sure one of the local rescue groups would love a food donation! And especially one for puppies..

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure one of the local rescue groups would love a food donation! And especially one for puppies..
Yes, I was thinking of doing that. I have one unopened bag and another opened one... I am guessing they won't take opened food?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Our shelter will take opened or unopened food, snacks (I know this due to Hope's colitis/food issues and my buying and trying and failing. They got a BUNCH from us) and even medication. After we lost Mick someone told me that they did and I called to confirm. They were thrilled to get the remainder of the heart medication we had for dog's they had in need.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just fyi, both my dogs are under 4 pounds, and I routinely feed them Orijen. They have NO trouble with the kibble size, nor the size of other grain free kibble I cycle them through, not all of which come in "small dog" formulas.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
i have a question where do you buy these good foods you all feed your chihs i never see it in my regular weekly shopping stores thank you

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
i have a question where do you buy these good foods you all feed your chihs i never see it in my regular weekly shopping stores thank you
Depends on where you live. Are you in the US?

Most of the good quality foods are listed on the manufacturer's website. When I want to find a store that sells the food I need, I'll google the food name to find the website, which most always has some kind of "where to buy" tab, or links to stores it's sold in. Then I just pick the location that's most convenient to me. I often go to a boutique type store that's nowhere near where I live, but is DIRECTLY on my way home....very convenient.

ETA: The superior quality foods (like Orijen, Evo Innova etc.) are not typically sold in grocery stores, or even places like PetsMart or PetCo. You have to find the specialty pet stores/boutiques which typically will sell the better brands. You can get decent food in a PetsMart or PetCo, but it won't be the superior quality of the specialty store foods. On the other hand, it will be superior to anything you're going to find in a regular grocery store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts