Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... My dog sissy has had fleas for the past 2-3 months. we have been giving her frontline every month and vacuuming the rugs etc. but she still has stupid fleas. i have given her 2 baths this past week and they won't go away. :(. poor thing. i am at my last resort.

what should i do?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Id try a different flea treatment. I know there are a couple out there that theyre having problems to fleas now becoming resistant to, I think frontline is one of them. Poor Sissy, that must be miserable for everyone!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Do.... exactly what we did. =D

Frontline pretty much sucks if you have an actual flea infestation. Which sound slike you do; and so did we. We kept applying the Frontline every month but they just kept jumping on.

Before we decided to flea bomb the house; we did a little research and found this product:

Natural Chemistry De Flea Pet & Bedding Spray at PETCO

This took one evening to do. We sprayed one room to start, which we would use as our temporary quarantine room until the rest of the house dried and was usable again. So, we sprayed one room down; all carpeting, furniture, etc. It does not have a strong smell or anything and worked wonders. We set up a fan to dry the room. Then one by one I gave each dog a bath with:

Natural Chemistry De Flea Pet Shampoo at PETCO

After bathing they went STRAIGHT into the "quarantine room." After every dog was bathed, we shut the door and sprayed down the rest of our house. It wasn't that much, since we only have carpeting in the two bedrooms... our living room is hardwood floor but we had to spray the furniture. All soft dog toys, beds, blankets, etc. got washed and dried on high heat meanwhile.

We left, visited a friend, while we let the rest of the house dry. (Using fans, open windows, etc. to speed it up.) Came home, house was dry, dogs had free run again. Two days later (since FL recommends waiting a few days) I applied another dose of Frontline to each dog. We have seen on occasion one or two fleas since that day, but only for a couple days after and we just combed them out with a flea comb. Our dogs have been flea-free since.

I still do not like Frontline, and I wont ever promote them; because for years I never had to do anything but apply the dose. For whatever reason though, *now* it only seems to work as prevention. And that's how we're using it. The Natural Chemistry stuff is amazing though. The spray can also be used on pets if necessary but we used the whole bottle on our furnutire/carpet etc. and just the shampoo on the dogs. And it was amazing to watch the fleas just die.... you gotta follow the shampoo instructions well; lather every part you can reach (except for face) and let it remain for 5 mins. Rinse off and be amazed at how many of the nasty little things fall off.

If it weren't fall we'd probably be treating the yard too; but we've had a few frosts already. So it might be necessary depending on your climate to treat the outside too. But, for us Frontline only works to prevent now... doesn't seem to kill existing ones. But, once our environment got treated that was enough; and now they aren't getting reinfested. Good luck!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
:hello1:IVE HAD QUITE A FEW PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE FLEAS THIS YEAR.I KNOW WHERE I LIVE-EAST CT-WE HAD THE HURRICANE N ALOT OF PEOPLE THINK IT HAS TO DO W/THAT(SINCE THE YEARS B4 WERENT AS BAD).BE CAREFUL THAT U RINSE THE PUPS OFF WELL AFTER A FLEA BATH-I HAD A RELATIVE WHOS VERY SMALL DOG GOT VERY SICK W/A WELL KNOWN FLEA SHAMPOO.I CANT REMEMBER WHICH ONE BUT IT WAS ONE OF THE BIG NAMES.GOOD LUCK:D:D:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts