Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
daisy refuses to go potty on her puppy pads.. so i don't know what else to do but to keep her in the kitchen with the puppy gate closed until she goes. but she whines incredibly. she used to whine in the laundry room but she sleeps through the night in there, but we want to keep her in the kitchen now when we can't watch her 24/7. she likes to potty on soft carpet, and i swear she'll hold it in til she can run around and be free. i dont know what to do, i'm scared my husband is going to hate me if i can't potty train her and it's stressing me out because she doesn't learn. and i try saying NO and being firm with her, but she wont listen and it doesn't trigger and now i'm crying because i already feel like i'm a failure. how can i get this potty training thing to work? time is moving quickly .. what age should she know how to be potty trained at? i'm so scared she wont learn in time. *sigh*

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
How old is Daisy? It can take quite a while to train a chi. It took a full year to for me to really trust that Annabelle would not go in the house. Cody is 5 mos. old and he is doing pretty well. I have to stay on top of it though and know when he is asking or needing to go out. If I can't take him out right then, he'll have an accident. It just takes time and patience. She'll eventually get it. Just be consistent with her.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she is 8 weeks old. she doesn't even ask or look like she has to go most of the time, she just goes wherever she pleases... and it's really frustrating. she just doesn't understand at all, no matter how much and how hard i try! i love her to death, she is such an angel but i had no idea potty training would be so hard. :(

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oh you poor girl, I know it is frustrating, but they really don't have a whole lot of control over their bladder yet, but you do need to keep working w/her and she will surprise you and catch on. My Lola is 6 months old and finally has it down, but will still have accidents once in a while. 8 weeks is soooo young still, I would keep her in the kitchen too, cuz she is still gonna potty everywhere for awhile. I wish I was more help.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Oh and I should have said "I am potty trained", cuz I just take Lola out every 2 or 3 hours and she goes, she doesn't really go out of her way to tell me either. I know she will in time.
I know she pees right after hard play,
She goes right after she eats.
She goes first thing in the morning.
She goes right after waking from nap or sitting for awhile on our laps.
She goes right before bed.
Sorry it just takes time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Eight weeks is awfully young to be expecting anything from your baby.
Here's what is working for me. My puppy will be 13 weeks on Friday. We used the same procedure for my other Chi, who is two years old.

We started with a crate for the first few weeks. Full run of a house at such a young age is too much. Try the crate. Puppies don't like to go where they sleep. Every time you take the puppy out of the crate, take her/him immediately to the puppy pad. If they walk off of it, pick them up and put them right back on it. You may need to repeat this a few times before they go. I tell them "Potty on the Pad", each time I place them on the paper. When the pup goes on the pad, praise it like CRAZY and tell them "yes! you went potty on the pad!!" It helps them to learn what you mean and what you want. Once they master the potty pad, we step up to baby gates in the kitchen, and from there we work on outside.

Be patient, and consistent. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I agree w/ what every one else is saying. There is no way at 8 weeks old is she going to automatically be housebroken. That is so young. Just watch for after she eats or drinks take her out. Are you free feeding her or do you have set times that she eats. If you free feed you may want to stop and get on a routine, that will help you judge better when you think she'll have to go out. I absolutely agree w/ the crate training. Don't let her roam around all over until she can be trusted b/c then you are asking for accidents. Puppies can be very frustrating it takes time and hard work but you will get results eventually. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is how I trained my male Chi. I bought one of these doggie play-pens. They are about 4 ft X 4 ft. In it I put his crate with the door open, to be used as his bed. Also put in his food and water. I put the pen on a tiled floor. In one corner a crumpled up an old towel in a heap. That was his "bathroom" I made this his "home' as I do not have the heart to keep dogs in crates for hours on end. He immediately caught on to pottying on the towel because instinctively dogs don't want to go on hard surfaces. When he had it down pat, I substituted the towel for the wee-wee pads. It wasn't long before I started leaving the door into the playpen open and sure enough, when he had to potty, he would go into the pen and on the pad. I don't know if this method would work for every dog but it sure did work nifty for me. Now the playpen is in the basement waiting for my next Chi.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Callie is 11 weeks now and I've just started keeping her in the laundry room while I'm gone (my work schedule changed so shes alone for longer so i don't want to keep her in the kennel). Prior to this we were having some success with potty training, with poop more than pees, and she will still pee in her kennel (I've tried taking everything out, and sectioning it off with cardboard - she got in behind the cardboard and scared me to death that she would hurt herself). Anyway since I've been keeping her in the laundry room she goes consitently on the pad thats there, but will still have accidents when we're in my room. I guess she will figure it out one day!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said and I hate to be depressing but 8 weeks is way too young to begin expecting to see much if any progress. Unless you get very lucky you can expect as much as 3 to 6 month for Callie to be fully trained.

·
Registered
151 Posts
chidawl, I understand you. but please dont get so upset.
All people said that it is inevitable that she will have accidents. Especially if there are carpets around :wink:
I dont know much about crate training, but everywhere is said that it works very well
What I was doing is putting a LOT of newspapers everywhere.
Actually first time she did pee on the floor, I took a small piece of newspaper, wet it in her pee, and put this piece on a big sheet of newspaper. So she can smell it. I had newspaper in every corner of her room, and in every corner of living room (where she would stay with us)
Of course praising a lot when she goes right. Then very slowly I started removing the newspapers and properly cleaning that spot with bleach+vinegar+water.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
First off, let me ask, do you go outside the home to work?
When you are home she wants to be with you, that's why she is whinning.
Keep her confied to the room where you spend most of your time. Watch and see where she likes to potty. Put pads in those places. At least 2 places, more is better. Chis don't like to pee and poop in the same place so you have to have at least 2.
I agree with everyone else, she is way too young to be trained yet. You are still going to have accidents, so calm down, there is nothing wrong with her or you, besides your nervousness and she is going to pick up on it and think she has done something wrong no matter if she goes on the pad or not.
Leave the pads down until she has peed on it 2 or 3 times then change it. If she poops on it, pick up the poop with a piece of tissue and flush it. The smell will help her remember where she is suppose to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry but it cant be done at eight weeks as was said before she has no control over her bladder yet, I bought a spry to spray on the pee pads this may help, but if you work and our out more that 3 hours then your not there to supervise every pee pee.Good look but I think your expecting too much of your little one.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i also have to agree with what others have sed that youd be very lucky to have a chi house trained at 8 weeks old. it tends to be a very gradual process, the chi start off hopeless then theyll eventualy get that u seem to like them to go on the pads, so they will one in ten times, then its 50/50 and after that theyll go the majority of times, but will also confuse other surfaces say if you have a rug on a lino/wooden floor.
Keeks is pretty much trained now, shes 8 months old and id say its bin about 2-3 months thats shes bin good and only had a few accidents.

all you really can do at 8 weeks is mak sure you have loads of newspaper/pads down, so that she has a better chance of making it and when you do you can praise her

mia
x

·
Registered
996 Posts
Chidawl - Because I don't have my Chi yet, I can't help you much with this paticular question. Although the others have gave you much advice on what to do. I know how they are all saying its almost 'impossible' to have a Chi trained at 8 weeks. Well, I agree some what. Just keep at it, she'll have acciedents and what not but just keep at it and she'll get the hang of it in no time. Don't worrie about it so much, its going to be hard work! I'm pretty sure the others have provided you with enough imformation on it to help you.

I would also try to get her to go outside, as in take her outside alot as well and reward and praise her when she potty's outside. That way, if your not at your house with no potty pads, outside is not far away from your paticular location so she'll know its O.K to go outside and NOT on the carpets in a building your in. Of course, I don't know if shes big enough to go outside regularly now, and i'm not sure if its O.K by the vet (Just in case she doesnt have all her vacines)

Goodluck! :wave:

·
Registered
146 Posts
training a pup is hard work even honey can get mixed up at times
i tend to watch her in the sittingroom we have a rug down on hard tiles and if i see her hunched down with her legs kinda apart i know shes away to do toilet,so i just pick her up an place her on her pad,ive still not managed to get her to do it outside yet
but hey it all takes time

·
Registered
70 Posts
My chi is pretty predictable. She's almost 5 weeks old. And some of the accidents are mainly my fault. Dezi will almost immediately want to go potty (#1 and #2) after her meals. She's almost accident free with #1. Also, she likes to take pee breaks when she wakes up from her naps too. So when she starts whimpering, I take her to the newspaper. If I fail too, she has an accident. Getting her to do #2 takes a bit more time. Sometimes, I have to let her wonder off but keep an eye on her and once she starts to sit like she's gonna do #2, I immediately would carry her and rush her to the newspaper. This morning, she had an accident, it was my fault because I let her wonder off and didn't keep an eye on her as I was getting dressed for work. I know this will take a while but consistency will eventually program the things we need our pets to do in them. I can only imagine how confused a baby pup is as they experience different bodily functions and has no idea how to carry out things. Don't give up on her, I'm sure she is trying and she will get it if not sooner, most definitely later. :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Dont give up,it is very frustrating. My Chi is 12 week now and has only jut realised that there is a specific place to pee and poop..and we still have afew near misses! Watch her when you are with her and take the opportunity to take her to her place to do her stuff ALOT...I was doing it every 30 mins or so at first. They Do get the hang of it eventually, promise! :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Patience is a virtue my mom tells me.

When Raz gets on my nerves I close my eyes and count to 10 before trying to deal with him.

I've also found that the cats notice things more then I do when I'm trying to get him to do a something right so they kind of help a little.....hissing at him when he's where he's not to be, swiping him if he's being bad, etc.

When you need take a break from her.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Little dogs are very hard to house break. The puppy stage of training is probably the most difficult and most stressful. Let me just say that it took about a year before my dogs were potty trained, and they STILL potty in the house on occasions.

The best advise I can give is to stay consistant with training. It takes a lot of time and commitment but consistancy is most important.

As far as the stress goes. I would have to put my dogs in their crates and blast my music in headphones and relax that way. (I would also shout into my pillow all the things I WANTED to yell at my dogs but knew it was wrong to do. :wink:

Your pup is still VERY YOUNG. If your pup was potty trained at this point I would be totally shocked. Dogs are not perfict and they are having to learn things that go against their nature in order to be a good house dog.

-Jessica

1 - 20 of 21 Posts