Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6mo. old little cutie Chi named Lola. I love her SO much and she is definalty a momma's girl! I am worried because she is terribly shy. She almost acts as though she has been abused somehow. When we bring her out in public she won't walk, so needs to be carried. When strangers looks at her she buries her head in my neck. When we have company over she runs under the bed and will not come out until they leave. I have never owned a Chi before (I have always had Yorkies) is this normal behavior? Is there anything I should do to help her not be so afraid of everything? It makes me feel sad b/c I want her to be happy, but she seems like she is terrified at all times! Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
897 Posts
First, welcome!

From various things I have read, this isn't all that uncommon with chis. But then, I'm not an expert so I could be corrected there. But chis are very family oriented so I wouldn't be surprised by the behavior when she is around people outside of the family. Angel can get that way at times. I always tell people that the best way to deal with Angel is to either wait and let her approach them first or talk to her from a distance and then approach slowly. Offer a hand (palm side up) below head level and let her sniff it. After that she tends to warm up a little. But all in all, she just loves to be talked to. That usually breaks the ice with her.

Best thing you can do is work on socialing her with other people. Take her out or have company over. Just take meetings slow so as not to upset her too much. Whether or not she will get over it, I don't know but that would be my suggestion. I'm sure more seasoned chi owners will have more advice. :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I think Lilly's mom can help you....Rachael where are you??? :D

Her baby was incredibly shy too and she has made an awesome comeback, the little girl is just amazing....her story, is amazing...

anyways...Lilly's mom has worked with her over and over, and helped her come out of her shell...so I know she can give you good advice...

I know Gizmo wasn't shy at all until he hit 4 months...now, if your a stranger, he kinda cowers....so I tell people to just let him sniff them...and to not touch his head cuz he hates it....for some reason people touch his head and then he starts trying to crawl up my neck...kinda like, he can't see where the hand is going and he gets scared...but after a lil bit he opens up...I read in a chi book that they are like that by nature...cautious with others...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Oh yes Rachael (Lillys mum) has done miracles with her. Shes the one who would be able to help you. :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so much you guys! I feel better that it is kind of normal with Chi's. My fiance and I are getting another one in a month to keep Lola company. We're hoping that will help her b/c she loves other dogs....just not other people. I will definitely use all your advice about having people talk to her and approach her slowly with their hand out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Our kosmo was a very shy dog. What has really helped us and him is that we had strangers take him from us and hold and stroke him, rub his belly etc. Now, when someone new comes to the house, he's the first to come running and want up because he has been taught that strangers are not going to hurt him. He keeps getting better and better about it everyday. Some dogs are just more shy by nature, whereas some are very outgoing or adverturous.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Chis are sometimes very shy around strangers, and tend to bond with family, and usually the bond is stronger with one particular family member. This is one of the characteristics of the breed. Some are more shy than others, and it just takes a lot of time and patience to socialize them with other people. And some never adapt well to people other than family.

I would slowly introduce her to friends who come to your home. If she will take food from someone other than family, maybe they could approach her with a treat. But if she is very frightened, please don't try to force her. This can only make the situation worse.

I had a rescue chi in the past who had probably been abused - I know she had been neglected and bred way too often. She was about 3 yrs old when I got her, and afraid of everyone and everthing. It took months of work to get her to trust me, and even more months to get her to the point where she would accept other members of my family. She never really adapted well to other people, and that was o.k. When I was expecting someone she didn't know, I would just put her in my bedroom and shut the door.

Just be patient, and let her take things at her own speed. If she never does well with strangers, just love her for who and what she is.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
I think Lilly's mom can help you....Rachael where are you??? :D

Her baby was incredibly shy too and she has made an awesome comeback, the little girl is just amazing....her story, is amazing...

anyways...Lilly's mom has worked with her over and over, and helped her come out of her shell...so I know she can give you good advice...
Would you people mind keeping it down... I'm trying to sleep and I keep hearing my name called. :D At last, something I know about here (I am not qualified to give puppy advice and I am witless about training, but shyness I know). :lol:

These guys make it sound like I'm the Horse Whisperer for dogs. :lol: Lily is still shy and always will be but she has made enormous progress.

Lily's extreme shyness was (in my opinion) a combination of her natural tendency and the abuse/neglect/lack of socialization she suffered for the first two years of her life at a puppy mill. What I did was just be very, very, very, patient with her. I always worked at her pace so she wouldn't feel overwhelmed. And I loved and praised the heck out of her to give her the confidence to face new situations.

Doggy daycare was a blessing because she was exposed to lots of other dogs but she wasn't forced to interact with them for several months. She decided when she was ready. I think the same would apply to a shy puppy.

If I can help in any way, let me know. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Peanut used to be somewhat shy but much more aggressive. Even though he was aggressive around strangers he would still get very scared and always want to be around me. He still does this and prefers being with me all the time, but that is also because I am his mommy :D .

What I have tried that has somewhat worked is to have other people take him for walks and to get him to play with someone other than me. This can help because it might break a possible attachment and although it is normal that a Chi will get attached to one person more than others, it can be a problem in the long run if you ever decide to travel and have to leave your Chi with other people.

Peanut had started a pattern of only wanting to eat around me --IN MY HAND-- and no matter what I did he wouldnt eat. It took time but now he eats on his own and he eats dry kibbles without canned dog food.

I wish you luck with Lola and You will get great advice from this forum

Yael

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Rachel!

Yes, I was beginning to think you were the dog whisperer! :) Thanks for all your advice! I am so glad I came across this website while researching Chihuahua shyness. I feel so much better now. I thought there was some major problem with Lola, but now I know it's the breed. I just fell in love with this little girl, and I want her to be happy!

Thanks to all of you...you've been SO helpful...really!

Erica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts