Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midgies scratching is nonstop & she's causing bleeding! She's been on the honest kitchen for about 1 month. She's making herself raw & I don't think it's the honest kitchen. I've been giving a few pieces of Science Diet Kibble Duck & Potato which I have stopped. She's acting like she don't feel good & hiding under my bed. She's scratching so much that she's shedding every where. I'm at my whits end. Having taken her to the vet every month since April (sometimes twice a month) & can't seem to find her any relief. Have an appointment today with the vet & gonna get a blood test & possibly skin scrape. Don't know what else to do?! I'm going to start pulling my hair out if this goes on any longer!! Gave her a bath with a vet recommended moisturizing shampoo to soothe her skin. Seem to help a little. I can't keep her on Benedryl forever especially since it doesn't seem to be helping. It just makes her sleepy so she can't scratch. She had me up twice last night because she is so miserable with the scratching. Although she scratches every where on her body, most of the intense scratching is on her back by her tail & on her stomach. She's licking, chewing, biting & Scratching. She doesn't have any fleas. Occasionally I might find 1 or 2, but this wouldn't make her scratch like this.

Would love to hear about anyone that has had a similar situation with EXCESSIVE scratching to where they are bleeding and raw.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Have you considered taking her to a different vet? Its not normal, as you know, for them to be that itchy. She very well could be allergic to something in her food. Have you considered putting her on plain boiled chicken and plain boiled rice for a few weeks to see if the itching subsides?

It could be environmental -- she could be allergic to grass (yes, its happened before!), your laundry detergent, or something in your carpets.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'd take her off the food and do what was suggested regarding the Chicken, I would also locate a new vet pronto.
Try and see if you can find a Holistic vet as well.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
aww, i hope you will be able to figure something out soon to make Midgie feel better :confused: . My Tootsie has allergies and still has itchies, but it never caused bleeding or made her skin raw. i tried all kinds of foods and i think the best one for Tootsie is the Ziwipeak. she also gets omega 3 fatty acids coat supplement. i bath her to help too with Isle of Dogs shampoo and conditioner that has primrose oil to help the coat.
i also tried her on benedryl and it didnt help, like you said, just made her sleepy.
she is alot better than she was, she's not miserably itchy, just alittle itchy now, but the itchies have never entirely gone away.
good luck, i can relate to what you are going thru :(

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Just got back from vet & had full CBC test done & skin scrape! CBC test revealed all organs levels are where they're supposed to be. The rest of the blood is being sent off to be tested to see exactly what she's allergic to (about 10 days til I'll know). Skin scrape revealed inflamed follicles (suspected from allergies). She also has some congestion in her lungs. Vet gave her a Depo Medrol shot (allergy shot for itch). She's doing o.k. right now, no itching so far. I think she's really sleepy from itching so much & being up all hours of the night. When I get the test back, i'll let everyone know exactly what she's allergic to. Vet suspects a combination of things like food & environmental (grass, pollen).
I plan to write a dialogue on my experience with this whole situation which has been going on since Oct. 9th, 2009 so anyone who is going thru the same thing will have some idea what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts