Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That I am going to be a Grandma in a couple of weeks. Our only child is 18 and is having a baby, I still can't beleive it. I never thought this would happen to us but it did. I have been having a really hard time with it so have not brought it up. But I know once the baby gets here I will love her so much. We have set up a nursery so she will be living with us for awhile. My husband is heartbroken (she was always daddy's little girl). The father is a total looser. She is having blood pressure problems so we have been going to alot of appointments and she is on BP meds now. She is 35 weeks today and they will deliver her at 37-38 weeks due to her blood pressure. Guess I just wanted to get that out.....

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Kay it's nice to share,Your hubby will change once the baby is here, he will be besotted with her ,think men don't cope as well as we do,i know mine wouldn't.They still think daughters are their little girls (mine does and she's 32).to them they never grow up.xxx

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Well Congratulations, a gift from God. I know it not at your timing but the little girl will bring so much joy in your life. My step daughter had baby at 16 and sec one by 18. she didn't live with us and didn't she in not let know til baby where here. But we knew insurance company dent us a denial letter as they didn't pay for ob in a minor. The mother told her she dint have to tell him. She is doing real god now takes so good care of her kids and she works and go to collage. The father is gone, took off after second one. My daughter married a guy who has 3 kids and she adopted his kids so they are my grand children, she will never have any of her own, he was snipped and they tried with doctor assistant but didn't work. so I am content with the grand baby's God gave me.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Congratulations. I became a grandma in Nov. I was worried because my one son is not the best person around, but I have to say the baby seems to have been a good thing in his life. He's settled down and doing well now. And my grand baby, Isabella, is soooo darn cute. It was hard getting my head around it, but now it's a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Congratulations Grammy Kay! Hubby will come around, it's hard to cope for certain. I'm the only grandchild that held out to have children, and I saw each of my aunts hearts break every time one of my cousins got pregnant, but in the end they all love their grandbabies. My mom can, but can't wait to be a granny.

The important thing is that you're there for your daughter, and give the baby the best start you can, after that you just have to trust her to do the right thing :]

Have you given any thought to your grandma name? It might be a southern thing, but everyone calls their grandmothers something different. My OH has a Nana (grandma) and a Mimi (great grandma)

I just had a Granny/Grandma but i've heard just about everything from mama, mimi, nana, grammy, etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Congratulations! My mum probably felt the same way at first. I had my daughter when I was 17, and lived with my mum for a while after. Things may seem a bit of a shock at first but I'm sure once your cute little grandchild arrives she/he will melt all your hearts and the smiles and giggles will always light up your day! I hope all goes well for your daughter and grandchild and for you and your husband :) x

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kay it's nice to share,Your hubby will change once the baby is here, he will be besotted with her ,think men don't cope as well as we do,i know mine wouldn't.They still think daughters are their little girls (mine does and she's 32).to them they never grow up.xxx
Thank you Michele, I sure hope he can get over his heartbreak. I may sound selfish but Lee DH and I looked so forward to when she turned 18 so we could be newlyweds again. IS that bad. She had so many plans for her future, she was already accepted to the nursing program that has a 3 year wait now that opertunity is gone.

Well Congratulations, a gift from God. I know it not at your timing but the little girl will bring so much joy in your life. My step daughter had baby at 16 and sec one by 18. she didn't live with us and didn't she in not let know til baby where here. But we knew insurance company dent us a denial letter as they didn't pay for ob in a minor. The mother told her she dint have to tell him. She is doing real god now takes so good care of her kids and she works and go to collage. The father is gone, took off after second one. My daughter married a guy who has 3 kids and she adopted his kids so they are my grand children, she will never have any of her own, he was snipped and they tried with doctor assistant but didn't work. so I am content with the grand baby's God gave me.
I so beleive God has a plan. I found out our insurance wouldn't cover her at her first OB appt so she had to go on Welfare or DSHS and WIC program even though we have perfectally good insurance. I thought that was crazy. She still thinks the boyfrind will grow up he just turned 17 got kicked out school and alternative school now has to go school in the Juvi. I don't see him growing up any time soon as it runs in his family. How she got hooked up him I don't know.

Congratulations Grammy Kay! Hubby will come around, it's hard to cope for certain. I'm the only grandchild that held out to have children, and I saw each of my aunts hearts break every time one of my cousins got pregnant, but in the end they all love their grandbabies. My mom can, but can't wait to be a granny.

The important thing is that you're there for your daughter, and give the baby the best start you can, after that you just have to trust her to do the right thing :]

Have you given any thought to your grandma name? It might be a southern thing, but everyone calls their grandmothers something different. My OH has a Nana (grandma) and a Mimi (great grandma)

I just had a Granny/Grandma but i've heard just about everything from mama, mimi, nana, grammy, etc.
We are here for her as best we can. And my heart was sooo broken. She lost her license last year, due to the boyfriend so she had no car (we sold it) but we just bought her a really cute little 4 door Honda civic and she just passed her written test and takes the driving on July 1st if she is not on bedrest. As she will need a car with the baby. And she has 3 appointments a week that is wearing me out as I have to work too. I think this baby has really made her grow up alot.
I feel to young to be a Grandma and I have already told her we need to find something else to call me LOL

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations. I became a grandma in Nov. I was worried because my one son is not the best person around, but I have to say the baby seems to have been a good thing in his life. He's settled down and doing well now. And my grand baby, Isabella, is soooo darn cute. It was hard getting my head around it, but now it's a wonderful thing.
Congratulations Pam...I think this baby has really made my daughter grow up alot and settle down. I hope it turns out to be a good thing.

Congratulations! My mum probably felt the same way at first. I had my daughter when I was 17, and lived with my mum for a while after. Things may seem a bit of a shock at first but I'm sure once your cute little grandchild arrives she/he will melt all your hearts and the smiles and giggles will always light up your day! I hope all goes well for your daughter and grandchild and for you and your husband :) x
Thank you, I am sure she (it will be a girl) will melt our hearts once she is here. Her name will be Jaidyn Paige...I have been having fun setting up the nursery.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
No it's not bad to be newlyweds again,not selfish at all,we do our best for our children see them grow up and leave home,all stages in life ,yours has been put back a little ,thats all.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
kay i remember when my sister got pregnant at 19. my dad was also heartbroken, it was the 2nd time in my life id seen him cry. my mam took along time to come round too. the day she did was the day my sisteres looser boyfriend told her to give the baby up for adoption, and they would get back together when she had her figure back!!well needless to say my mother had a few choice word for him.
my only niece on our side is now 19 and still lives with my parents. she wouldnt move with her mother. the bond that she and my dad has is envieable.
to day we are waiting the arrival of the first grand niece/nephew on my husbands side.
she is in since friday loosing her water since wednesday. and guess who her birthing partner is,not her boyfriend but her mother.
you are so lucky to have them live with you, and not with the boyfriend, if hes that bad, i would prefare your arrangement to keep an eye.
her name is beautiful.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you Amanda, that is reassuring. When she told us, I will never forget it. It was only the second time I ever saw my husband cry as well, first when his Mum died. I am glad she is here. She told us she was going to move in with him and his family but I think the baby has made her realize it is not a good enviorment. She is worried now and does not want him alone with the baby. Her "boyfriend" has stopped by the house once on May 7th and was so high he wouldn't come in the house. We would love to get ahold of him and have a few choice words with him, I did when they got in trouble last year, I really had a go at him. Would love to again.
I am her birthing partner too. I have been there for every appt and am going to the childbirthing classes and breastfeeding classes with her. We have been so busy.
Congratulations on your new Grand neice/nephew, hope things go well. Keep us posted.

kay i remember when my sister got pregnant at 19. my dad was also heartbroken, it was the 2nd time in my life id seen him cry. my mam took along time to come round too. the day she did was the day my sisteres looser boyfriend told her to give the baby up for adoption, and they would get back together when she had her figure back!!well needless to say my mother had a few choice word for him.
my only niece on our side is now 19 and still lives with my parents. she wouldnt move with her mother. the bond that she and my dad has is envieable.
to day we are waiting the arrival of the first grand niece/nephew on my husbands side.
she is in since friday loosing her water since wednesday. and guess who her birthing partner is,not her boyfriend but her mother.
you are so lucky to have them live with you, and not with the boyfriend, if hes that bad, i would prefare your arrangement to keep an eye.
her name is beautiful.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I too can understand about being newly weds again! my daughter is 14 now and I have 2 more children aged 9 & 2, being a mum is quite tough at times. But just think in a few years time when your daughter can stand on her own 2 feet you will have lots of enjoyment from your granddaughter and I'm sure your daughter will be so thankful for you being there for her, I certainly am grateful for my mum being there for me when I needed her most x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am sure this crisis will turn into a blessing Kay. Everything happens for a reason. And all of have consequences to our actions as your daughter has learned so graphically. I really think this will bring you all together and you will have a beautiful baby girl to love and what a gift that is. :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I was once your daughter. I was VERY naive, sheltered and engaged to be married-in high school. Freshman year in college, I believed him when he said we'd be together forever anyway and who would have know if we did not wait a few more months until the wedding. Well, we knew-and so did everyone else-in a few weeks.

My mistake was following through with marrying him. Be grateful she is not pushing that. I just blissfully thought that I was moving up our April wedding to late November and that my fairy tale would begin even sooner.

He cheated on me and left us for another woman (young lady) when my son was 5 months old and 2 weeks before his first Christmas. I was 19, in college, no job and a mother of an infant. My parents, God bless them, took us in. My mom was his caregiver and I completed college as quickly as I could. We lived with them until he was 4, I had a job and could afford to be on my own.

Fast forward more than 27 years. My 28 year old son completed college, is happily married, has a wonderful job in the music industry in Nashville and now has a nearly 1 year old daughter of his own. That boy has turned out to be the best gift and the biggest blessing of my life.

My parents call me to tell me what is up with him (he and his family are 600 miles away from us). They talk with him more than me. He is their world. The family jokes that they just needed me to get to the person that they really wanted! haha! Their relationship and bond is remarkable.

I could be NOTHING that I am today and my future and my son's would have been painted VERY differently without my parent's support and involvement. I caution you that I did not always feel that way even though it was true. I was fiercely independent and thought I could do things myself and did not need my mom "bossing" me around because after all, I was a grown-up with a child. Or so I thought. I am certain that I even told her that a few times. We butted heads and there were times each of us was ready for me to move out. You may feel this way, too at some point and that is okay.

You have a very important role ahead of you. You have the capacity to very literally and practically change the lives and the futures of 2 people now more than ever. You can do this. The emotion can get set aside and you may have to help manage things like a project. That is okay, too.

My dad's perspective was right on. He told me later that he knew that they could help me then and I would have the education and skills to manage on my own or they could let me "learn my lesson" and I would require help from them and others my whole life. He was right. I will celebrate 25 years, on the 26th of this month, with my company, which is a MAJOR corporation. Again. Would not have obtained the professional success that I have today without my parent's support and intervention.

Keep long term as your focus, know that the hard parts are only temporary and if you need to talk, vent or share cute pictures (yes, please), we are here for you!!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Hi! How about you being called Nani and your husband Nana? This is what I called my grandparents. (they were Methodist missionaires in India) Sue Davis

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
(I have no sisters)
My brother became a dad at 17; if you look at the photos of when he is holding his son, he has such a baby face himself. He's now 30, has been with my sister in law for 15 years and they have 13 year old Gabriel and 9 year old Mickayla. He is such a wonderful father, I am so proud of how the whole "young teenage parent" situation turned out for them.

I know your hubby will fall in love with his granddaughter; then he'll have 4 girls (can't forget Zoey) to gush over and love :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It will be much easy to deal with after baby is here for sure. Children are a gift even when they come from children. I did the same thing to my parents so I'm coming from the other end. I got pregnant at 17 & had her at 18. Had PIH (pregnancy induced hypertention which thankfully never progressed into pre-eclamsia/eclampsia) the last couple weeks & was on bedrest. Anyway...it did cause a lot of stress/diappointment with the family but they made the best out of the situation & 13 years later nobody could think of it happening any differently as I'm sure will be the case with your daughter as well. :)

I will keep your daughter in my thoughts & hope all goes well with the rest of her pregnancy & delivery. I'll be thinking of you & your hubby too--you will both enjoy that grandbaby no doubt! :)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I too can understand about being newly weds again! my daughter is 14 now and I have 2 more children aged 9 & 2, being a mum is quite tough at times. But just think in a few years time when your daughter can stand on her own 2 feet you will have lots of enjoyment from your granddaughter and I'm sure your daughter will be so thankful for you being there for her, I certainly am grateful for my mum being there for me when I needed her most x
I know I will enjoy her a lot, but I just hate to see my daughter struggle. I just want her to know this is "her" baby not mine.

I am sure this crisis will turn into a blessing Kay. Everything happens for a reason. And all of have consequences to our actions as your daughter has learned so graphically. I really think this will bring you all together and you will have a beautiful baby girl to love and what a gift that is. :)
Thank you Tracy, I truely beleive that as well. It has brought us closer to gether then we have been in a long time.

I was once your daughter. I was VERY naive, sheltered and engaged to be married-in high school. Freshman year in college, I believed him when he said we'd be together forever anyway and who would have know if we did not wait a few more months until the wedding. Well, we knew-and so did everyone else-in a few weeks.

My mistake was following through with marrying him. Be grateful she is not pushing that. I just blissfully thought that I was moving up our April wedding to late November and that my fairy tale would begin even sooner.

He cheated on me and left us for another woman (young lady) when my son was 5 months old and 2 weeks before his first Christmas. I was 19, in college, no job and a mother of an infant. My parents, God bless them, took us in. My mom was his caregiver and I completed college as quickly as I could. We lived with them until he was 4, I had a job and could afford to be on my own.

Fast forward more than 27 years. My 28 year old son completed college, is happily married, has a wonderful job in the music industry in Nashville and now has a nearly 1 year old daughter of his own. That boy has turned out to be the best gift and the biggest blessing of my life.

My parents call me to tell me what is up with him (he and his family are 600 miles away from us). They talk with him more than me. He is their world. The family jokes that they just needed me to get to the person that they really wanted! haha! Their relationship and bond is remarkable.

I could be NOTHING that I am today and my future and my son's would have been painted VERY differently without my parent's support and involvement. I caution you that I did not always feel that way even though it was true. I was fiercely independent and thought I could do things myself and did not need my mom "bossing" me around because after all, I was a grown-up with a child. Or so I thought. I am certain that I even told her that a few times. We butted heads and there were times each of us was ready for me to move out. You may feel this way, too at some point and that is okay.

You have a very important role ahead of you. You have the capacity to very literally and practically change the lives and the futures of 2 people now more than ever. You can do this. The emotion can get set aside and you may have to help manage things like a project. That is okay, too.

My dad's perspective was right on. He told me later that he knew that they could help me then and I would have the education and skills to manage on my own or they could let me "learn my lesson" and I would require help from them and others my whole life. He was right. I will celebrate 25 years, on the 26th of this month, with my company, which is a MAJOR corporation. Again. Would not have obtained the professional success that I have today without my parent's support and intervention.

Keep long term as your focus, know that the hard parts are only temporary and if you need to talk, vent or share cute pictures (yes, please), we are here for you!!
I am so glad your bad start had such a good ending. We do want to help her the best we can so she can support her baby and stand on her own two feet. And I am sooooo glad she is not pushing marriage, but I am sure if he was for it she may consider it. I hope we can be that close to our Grandaughter.

Hi! How about you being called Nani and your husband Nana? This is what I called my grandparents. (they were Methodist missionaires in India) Sue Davis
Sue Those are cute, Thank You..I was thinking of Mima. Her Nana died and they were so close I wouldn't want her to call me Nana. It was a tramatic experience for her.

(I have no sisters)
My brother became a dad at 17; if you look at the photos of when he is holding his son, he has such a baby face himself. He's now 30, has been with my sister in law for 15 years and they have 13 year old Gabriel and 9 year old Mickayla. He is such a wonderful father, I am so proud of how the whole "young teenage parent" situation turned out for them.

I know your hubby will fall in love with his granddaughter; then he'll have 4 girls (can't forget Zoey) to gush over and love :)
He always has fallen with all the girls in the house....I'm sure he will with the baby too. I think the baby is going to make her grow up real fast.

It will be much easy to deal with after baby is here for sure. Children are a gift even when they come from children. I did the same thing to my parents so I'm coming from the other end. I got pregnant at 17 & had her at 18. Had PIH (pregnancy induced hypertention which thankfully never progressed into pre-eclamsia/eclampsia) the last couple weeks & was on bedrest. Anyway...it did cause a lot of stress/diappointment with the family but they made the best out of the situation & 13 years later nobody could think of it happening any differently as I'm sure will be the case with your daughter as well. :)

I will keep your daughter in my thoughts & hope all goes well with the rest of her pregnancy & delivery. I'll be thinking of you & your hubby too--you will both enjoy that grandbaby no doubt! :)
Thanks Heather, she does have PIH. She is almost 36 weeks and they are trying to get her to 37 week so they can induce her. She is on atenolol 50mg twice a day and not total bed rest but she is suppose to be on her side as much as possible. No salt and no sugar at all. We go in twice a week for NST testing and the see the Dr as well. I think she may be going on total bedrest tomorrow after her appointment.
I sure hope that is case for us as well (that things work out as well for us and her and the baby as they did for you. It would be so much better if the boyfriend wasn't such a looser.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank You Rhonda.
She has been having problems. Failed her NST test on Friday so she had a BIO Physical Profile Ultrasound and failed that so we had to go into the hospital for another NST test on Sat and if she didn't pass that they were going to induce her as the blood pressure medication may be causing stress on the baby. She was 37 weeks on Sat so full term now. She passed. Yaaay She goes in again on Tuesday and again Friday if she passes those they will induce her early in her 38th week and she will be 38 weeks next Sat. So it won't be long.
Thank You all for sharing your experiences and wisdom with me.

Congrats Grandma & Grandpa!!
Im sure once the little one arrives you will all fall in love with her/him!! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts