Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to pick up Tinkerbell this Saturday, but the breeder just wrote me an email and said she would like to keep her an extra week. She said because she is skinny she wants her to put on more weight first and also she will be changing her food and would like to moniter her for a while after doing that. She said I could pick her up the weekend after that, on the 17th, or if i'd rather have a puppy who was sturdier she had another one that would be ready this weekend. I told her I deffinatly want Tinkerbell and i'd just have to wait a while longer then. She's healthy and the breeder did say she was a very active and playful type, but she has the lean body types with the long legs, unlike the stockier chi's, so she just weighs less. I'm really sad even though it's just a week because I was really looking forward to this weekend, but I do want what's best for her. I'll probably get new pictures from the breeder sometime next week so i'll post them when I can.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Unfortunatly, my mom is now thinking that Tink might be too fragile and maybe it would be a better idea to go with a sturdier puppy who will be bigger. :cry: According to the growth charts, Tinkerbell should be 2 1/2 pounds, but the breeder said about 3 full grown. I didn't care about size when I started looking for a little girl pup, I was just looking at all of them and she caught my eye, but now i'm begining to worry that she might get hurt because she is soooo tiny. My mom wants me to ask the breeder if it would be possible for us to go and visit Tink and see in person if she might be too fragile. My mom said I might go and think Tink is cute but just fall in love with the other puppy. Not that she doesn't want me to get the dog I really want, but she thinks it's best to see both of them in real life, not just in a photo. I think I owe it to Tink to consider getting a bigger pup, because we do have other animals and I would hate myself if she ever got hurt. What do you guys think? Should I consider the other puppy??? :?: :dontknow: :?:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Thats a hard one! What other animals have you? Have you any small children in the home ? I brought Triny home when she was 6 month old and weighed 3LB with a clumsy spaniel who is very heavy and is always knocking her out of the way, chi's are more likely to be hurt being stood on by a human.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Also if you do decide on keeping her you will have to be careful when she is around. Triny is tiny but she keeps away from people's feet , you just have to watch when you sit down as she is there before you :lol:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Emma was only 2 1/2 lbs when we got her (she was just turned 1) but she sure knew how to keep out from underfoot. I think with Tinkerbell just being a baby you could keep her penned to a particular area just until she gets big enough to catch onto feet! That's what we did with Eddy when he was a pup too and he was bigger than Tinkerbell.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only people who live in the house are myself and my mom. I'm 18 so it's not like Tink would be near little kids anytime soon. I have a female Black Lab who is 3 years old and a male Min Pin who is 1 year. When we got Shorty (the Min Pin) he was about 2 pounds. Abbie is around 90 so we were very carefull introducing them. She is the sweetest dog but rather safe than sorry we did put a muzzle on her just in case. Within 10 minutes he was sitting on top of her head and chewing her ears. She is also best friends with our cat Max. We have nothing to worry about with her. The only thing is she's big, but she has never hurt Shorty because she knows she must be carefull. Shorty can be hyper but he is small also so I think he will be ok once he gets to know her. Our cats should be fine because they either ignore the dogs completely or will go over and rub on Abbie and lay down next to her. Our cats actually will lay on the floor with the dog and sleep! I'm sure the other animals will be no problem. It's just she's sooo tiny and i'm afraid if I took her to get fixed the vet would do something wrong and she could get hurt, or something might happen when i'm at school (which isn't all day now because i'm starting college soon). Oh, right as i'm typing this I got the picture from the breeder via email. well, i wouldn't call her ugly, but I don't really think she's cute... hmmm... she's white (which I like) but she has tan spots on her and i must say Tink has a much cuter face... *sigh* ok, i guess i can wait until next week... :roll:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Listen, you should do what you feel is best but let tell you that Chico was tiny when I first got him around 1 1/2 to 2lbs but he grew to be 6lbs. He laso has the long legs. I have to watch him a bit if he jupms down wrong or falls off the bed or anything he walks with a limp but he has never seriously hurt himself. You have to go by what you feel. If you click with a dog that is the one you should get. There are things that can happen to any dog. You have to go with what feels right.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I think your mom has the right idea when seeing if you should go visit Tinkerbell. Not just to check out the other pup, but to see if Tink is really the dog for you. I got really lucky when searching for a chi, I saw Lina and fell in love and that was that! No other pup would do. Luckily, she was just as perfect and precious in person as she was in pictures I'd gotten. She is the most playful dog. Now, before we found her we wen to a petstore (before I know about those also) and looked at a little min-pin. I fell in love with him, but he wasn't really very into us. Maybe it would be that way with Tink and maybe not. I think you should for sure just go see the pup :). Perhaps your mom is right and you'll fall head over heels for the other puppy instead.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I completely understand your disapointment!!! :!:

I am actuually having the EXACT same situation as you! :shock: I was going to recieve my new baby boy this Saturday but when she brought him to the vet this morning it turns out he only weighs 14 ounces. He is a perfectly healthy and chubby pup. But he is the cobby type unlike your girl so its not that he has the delicate build its just that hes a tiny guy. She wants him to weigh at least a lb before he goes to his new home.

I was also a little sad because I am just sooo excited to get my puppy! But I know that this is for his own good. And I'm sure you want your little girl to adjust well to her new home and not get sick or need to be rushed to the Emergency Vet. So I guess we will have to be patient together about now getting our pups in a week. :D In the end its only a week :wink:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would want to visit and see both dogs if I were you. You may form a different opinion after you've had time to interact with them both. Its not always about the looks. Dogs have such different personalities and although a puppy may be cute it may not have the temperment you are looking for. It may be too assertive or too shy. It may not like to play or be as cuddly as another puppy. Its always wise to meet them in person because this is a good 12+ year committment on your behalf.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If you haven't actually seen Tink in person yet, then by all means GO SEE HER and the other pup. I wouldn't chance picking my new baby by picture. Dogs have personalities just like us and sometimes personalities clash. The way I've always picked out puppies or kittens is I let them pick me.

So go visit both babies and see which one picks you. One of them will surely "take" to you more so than the other!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

:flower:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
having a smaller puppy means having more risk of injury but for me it meant having a higher sense of being careful around her and being aware of where she was every moment. my girl weighs 2.9 pounds and she will be 9 months old on the 18th. she was very tiny when i took her home and 10 weeks old. the breeder wouldn't have let her come home but she knew my experience working in an animal hospital really pays off so for me she made an exception. now that i work for my breeder i see how these really tiny puppies can be thriving one minute and on the brink the next, you have to keep on top of them and in my personal opinion i think to let one go that tiny to an inexperienced person at an age any younger than 13 weeks is very irresponsible.

don't rush getting your baby, you would hate yourself if something bad were to happen.

and by all means, go visit them and leave something with your scent on it behind so she can get to know you...... i chose chiwi by a picture (jumba too) but when i met them they REALLY stole my heart and the feeling ws mutual.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the words of advise. I really want Tinkerbell and when I first saw her I got that "love at first sight" feeling that I had with all my other pets. I've been talking to the breeder today and she would prefer not to stress her out by taking her out (she doesn't have buyers go to her home) but she told me I could visit both on the 17th and then see which one suited me best. Then if I was positive about Tink I could take her home then. I did have my dog Shorty when he was about 2 pounds, so I do remember what it's like trying not to step on them. I've done that akward jump out of the way when he runs around your feet, and i've landed against many walls and landed on furniture, so I know how it is. It's funny but it sure hurts. And then after your sore he just gives you the "what?" look and then runs over to chew on your ankles. ahh, the joys of puppyhood. lol. i guess an extra week isn't too bad... i'll keep ya guys posted. l8r!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
yellowpony02 said:
Thanks for all the words of advise. I really want Tinkerbell and when I first saw her I got that "love at first sight" feeling that I had with all my other pets. I've been talking to the breeder today and she would prefer not to stress her out by taking her out (she doesn't have buyers go to her home) but she told me I could visit both on the 17th and then see which one suited me best. Then if I was positive about Tink I could take her home then. I did have my dog Shorty when he was about 2 pounds, so I do remember what it's like trying not to step on them. I've done that akward jump out of the way when he runs around your feet, and i've landed against many walls and landed on furniture, so I know how it is. It's funny but it sure hurts. And then after your sore he just gives you the "what?" look and then runs over to chew on your ankles. ahh, the joys of puppyhood. lol. i guess an extra week isn't too bad... i'll keep ya guys posted. l8r!
can i ask why she doesn't let people go in and see them and their environment??

·
Registered
403 Posts
luv4mygirls said:
yellowpony02 said:
can i ask why she doesn't let people go in and see them and their environment??
yea wouldn't it be nice to see how the pups interact with eachother and to see the environment their kept in? what is the difference between seeing them on the 17th rather than sooner? i dunno it strikes me as kind of odd that she doesnt let people come to her house.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Most of the time people buy from her they have them shipped, but I only live an hour away and besides that I don't feel comfortable with them being on a plane alone. She told me from the beginning that she doesn't have buyers on her personal property, I *assume* because she just doesn't want strangers in her house with her expensive dogs. I don't really see the point of not wanting to stress Tink out when it's only one week before she'll be coming home with me, but she said because she just changed her food she didn't want to risk giving her stress. I don't know how much stress she could have from just going out for 20 minutes so I could meet her, but i'm not the breeder. The breeder does have pictures on her website of her home and sounds responsible, so i'm pretty sure she is just concerned and doesn't want to risk anything. Also, she probably doesn't want to bother making the trip for nothing, since I wouldn't be able to take the dog home then anyway. If anyone would like to see her site its http://www.chihuahuapuppies.net/ Tink's picture is on the "reserved" puppy page but right now her name isn't under it. This lady does change her page a little almost everyday, so when you look it may say "bambi" under her because that is what the breeder is calling her. She does seem responsible due to the info she gives on her site. She also has a 2 year garentee that is better than most other breeders. Anyway, I just hope the time goes quickly. I'm registering for college right now and am totally stressed and was really looking forward to getting her...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Aw i'm sure the time will pass quickly.
I always think it's a bit weird when the breeders won't let you visit them, even with the possible diseases that can be picked up on your shoes she could have a disinfectant bucket at the door where you leave your shoes or something... :? I'm sure you'd be very careful around her dogs and puppies.
If you only live a little away from the lady, it just seems a shame you can't go see the puppies for yourself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts