Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried almost everything and am at a lost. I spray the lawn every two weeks. Used Ortho, Spectricide, Seven, and some other thing(dry). We used Frontline, Advantage and a pill(from the vet) that is only temporary. His bedding gets changed everyday and I steam his kennel nightly. I also shampoo my carpet almost every week, vacuum nightly (I have a rainbow with a water reservoir ) and steam the furniture. He has hot spots and I'm using a cortisone cream(every other night) for that along with a medicated shampoo(every two weeks). If the infestation is too bad he gets a prescribed flea shampoo. None of the other pets (fat cat and old, old dog) are bothered. But poor Tony can go out in the yard (along with the other animals) and come in (no kidding) with 25-30 fleas(he's only 4.5 lbs) per potty break. The vet is at a lost, I've contacted the KU extension center and all agree I'm doing the right things. Should I consider potty pads and keep him inside? He loves the outdoors! We don't have this problem at the Lake, just in the yard. Oh yeah, I've even had ChemLawn out to spray. My neighbor to the east isn't having a problem, neither is the neighbor to the north(we live on a corner). Does any one have another idea?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Fleas in yard

I have had a hard time with fleas in my yard this year to. My long haired Yorkie seems to be getting the brunt of it. I usually spray mine down before they go out.

If I were you and nothing worked then I would keep him inside and use a litter box/pee pad and just let him go play at a park or at the river you commented about.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Try some of the more natural flea sprays out there; I've realized the natural stuff always seems to work better than the chemical stuff. They're harder to find in retail stores but if you have a mom & pop garden center, you may be able to find them there.

You might want to try bathing your dog in a flea repelling shampoo as well. I wash Cooper with Cain & Able Shampoo (https://secure.cainandablecollection.com/BathProducts.asp?ID=1000) that is all natural and repels bugs of all kinds, including fleas. He doesn't use a topical flea medication (because I'm too cheap) and he hasn't had one flea on him this summer - and he's quite the outdoorsman ... when he's not sleeping. :D

I'm not a granola cruncher and had my doubts about the natural stuff but it seems to really work for me and my pooch.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Along with spraying/sprinkling your carpet you need to get something that has and Insect Grouth Regulator (IGR) in it and spray your whole house.
The yard needs to be treated every 2 weeks.
Do this along with the things you have been doing.
Fleas are extreamly hard to get rid of and can live in your walls for over a year without feeding. They can also jump over 4 feet. So you have to spray EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was just about to ask about fleas too!! I've been using Advantix on Tico, and instead of it lasting 4 weeks - I start to see fleas on him in about 8-10 days! ($15 for 1-2 weeks is getting expensive!) And that's without baths that may be washing it off too!

I was going to ask you all if possibly their skin or oils in their skin don't work as well with the topical flea treatments as other types of dogs???

The good thing is they don't seem to be bothering him - he doesn't scratch or bite - but each day I see 2-3 on him (probably from peeing in the communal doggy apartment lawn outside) that I comb off. I'm starting to feel like a monkey!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you!

Thank you all, for your help. How hard would it be to train T-man to use a litter box or wee pads? He is fed IAMs, could something in the food make him more yummy to the fleas? What about garlic supplements? I agree, it is getting expensive. I'm going to look into the cainandable shampoo - one more shampoo couldn't hurt. One more thing - are chihuahua's addictive? After looking at the pictures and reading the stories you all have posted, I think T-man needs a playmate. The cat sits on him and the old,old dog ignores him.[quote

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
fleas

My Yoshi eats IAMS and he doesnt have a flea problem so I wouldnt think it is the food. I have heard of a certain vitamin repelling fleas but I am not sure what that is. Also a lady I know with rescue told me of a tablet she uses on her cats and dogs, I forget the name but they swear by it?? I will see if I cant find out. :wave:

·
Registered
60 Posts
brewers yeast in the food is something fleas are not supposed to like. mina had fleas a while back, the advantage got rid of them. also remember flea eggs fall to the ground right after they are laid and when you vacuum up older eggs you could be helping them hatch cuz of the warm air. they can also stay around a long time until the weather is right. and hatch the nasty little things.
oh remember to throw away the vacuum bags after you vacuum tie them up in a plastic bag

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Nupro supplements is suppose to help repel fleas i add it to my chis food daily and can last for two years as long as container is tightened well enough.I will give you their number so you can as them about this i just need to look it up.Its great for their skin and coat.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Re: Thank you!

tonysmom said:
One more thing - are chihuahua's addictive? After looking at the pictures and reading the stories you all have posted, I think T-man needs a playmate. The cat sits on him and the old,old dog ignores him.
You don't have a problem unless you admit to it. I don't have a problem. None at all. Nope. Not me. :wave:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Find yourself some Diatomaceous Earth to sprinkle in your yard. It will kill any insect and will work guaranteed. Its also the only thing you can put on your yard that is non toxic to animals unlike commerical chemicals (Seven etc!) You should be able to find it at some of the large home & garden chain stores, as well as local nurseries.

http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/DE.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.