Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Gemma has been peeing very frequently for two weeks and she is licking her private part quite a lot. She was on antibiotics because her white blood cell count in her urine was high, but she has not stopped peeing frequently. The vet said it could just be because she has access to pads all day, but she never used to pee so many times per day. I check her every day for discharge or bleeding but I never see anything. She doesn't appear to be swollen either. I did however notice a tiny little stain today on our sheet in the bed that looks like a small blood stain, maybe the size of a penny. Gemma happens to sleep on that side most the time as well. Could she be having a silent heat? Is there any way to detect it for sure?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't know if its her heat or not, but I definitely don't agree that she's going more because she has pads available. I have absolutely no experience with a dog in heat, but it sounds like it could be a UTI. But since her sample was negative it makes me think that's not what this is either. I hope you can figure out what it is soon!

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Bambi hardly bled in her first season, but she was incredibly swollen! She went from the size of my thumbnail to about 2 inches.
Just keep an eye out, if it is a silent season she will be very interesting to male dogs, that will be the giveaway. I can tell when Bambi's season is due because Harley is fascinated with her wee, (sniffing it, licking it and peeing right on top of it) and he does the Flehmen response. (Which is actually very funny to watch!) A vet can check her hormone levels, but I would just watch her for now.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if its her heat or not, but I definitely don't agree that she's going more because she has pads available. I have absolutely no experience with a dog in heat, but it sounds like it could be a UTI. But since her sample was negative it makes me think that's not what this is either. I hope you can figure out what it is soon!

She was just at the vet's last week and her urine didn't show any bacterial infection, just high white blood cell count so that's why the prescribed her antibiotics. She's been done with them since Monday though and I haven't seen any difference in her peeing.

Bambi hardly bled in her first season, but she was incredibly swollen! She went from the size of my thumbnail to about 2 inches.
Just keep an eye out, if it is a silent season she will be very interesting to male dogs, that will be the giveaway. I can tell when Bambi's season is due because Harley is fascinated with her wee, (sniffing it, licking it and peeing right on top of it) and he does the Flehmen response. (Which is actually very funny to watch!) A vet can check her hormone levels, but I would just watch her for now.
She's definitely not swollen. If she was, it would be too minimal for me to notice. I will just keep my eye on her. Luckily we never come in contact with any male dogs so I'm not worried about her getting knocked up. We did meet one chi mix downtown the other day, I'm not sure if it was male or female, but he/she was going nuts trying to get to Gemma. If it were a male, it would make sense for Gemma to be in heat then because the dog was literally going insane in its owner's arms trying to get to Gemma on the sidewalk. The dog got to sniff her first but it got too crazy so the owner picked him/her up. Could have just been a very hyper dog, of course.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It is definitely possible. Try dabbing her parts after she pees...sometimes when they don't bleed much you can see a hint of something after they pee. A lot of them don't bleed much or at all their first heat or two. And yes, some do pee quite a bit during that time as well. Not in amount but in frequency. And sometimes they also mark. :daisy:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is definitely possible. Try dabbing her parts after she pees...sometimes when they don't bleed much you can see a hint of something after they pee. A lot of them don't bleed much or at all their first heat or two. And yes, some do pee quite a bit during that time as well. Not in amount but in frequency. And sometimes they also mark. :daisy:
I'll try that, thank you. Yes, she's not peeing any more in volume, it's just in frequency. Lots and lots of little pees throughout the day instead of several big ones. When we're outside, she also marks like crazy. Within 5 minutes of being outside yesterday for a potty break at my boyfriend's mom's, she marked the grass 3 separate times. She's kind of always marked a lot outside, though, but she might be marking a bit more now. 3 times in 5 minutes is more than usual for her, lol.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
And that should have said dab her parts with a TISSUE. Not your hand...obviously. ;) Does sound like she's marking a bit more. I'd not think you'd have to worry about a UTI since she's been on meds for that... Chances are it's just her being in heat. How old is she? Tis the season. Mari, Evie & Maya (who lives with my grandfather) are all in heat...as is Shasta as well (she is a SC Chi I show who was with us until just a few weeks ago). It's in the air. LOL

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Hey heather I was going to pm u about maya!!! I'm glad your grandfather finally took her! Wish it were me tho! Hahahah

Baby wasn't spayed until she was 5 she never bled much at all I never saw any on sheets or couches but hers would swell up pretty big and she would drive ninja insane basically raping the poor neutered doggie lol he would literally have to hide under my dresser to get away from her!

Prada on the other hand... I still have little blood stains on her pillow in my car and on my duvet she bled a lot more but she is bigger overall.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Well keep us posted, if it is heat then at least you can have some piece of mind as to what's been going on with her, ya know

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
The same thing happened to Odie at roughly 8 months. She was licking a ton and I was suspicious and worried as I wanted to get her spayed soon. We were on vacation on a boat and I found some old white rags so I put one in her bed and there was a really really light coloured blood spot. I think it may have been heat but maybe because it was her first one it was barely noticable? Anyway, I explained to the vet and they were still okay with her being spayed as enough time had passed afterwards.

I didn't notice her peeing more frequently though. Odie does pee more often when she has access to pee pads though. She only goes around 3 times a day when it's outside only, but pees SO often with pads. Doesn't sound like that's the issue with Gemma though.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'll try that, thank you. Yes, she's not peeing any more in volume, it's just in frequency. Lots and lots of little pees throughout the day instead of several big ones. When we're outside, she also marks like crazy. Within 5 minutes of being outside yesterday for a potty break at my boyfriend's mom's, she marked the grass 3 separate times. She's kind of always marked a lot outside, though, but she might be marking a bit more now. 3 times in 5 minutes is more than usual for her, lol.
I'm glad to see another female dog marks. I thought only boy dogs did this and when I first saw Emmie do it, made me laugh. She really marks a lot at the beginning of our walk then she's done.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Some have split seasons also... One of mine did for her first season.. She didn't swell much at all but had every other symptom then came back in 2 months later wham bam swollen massive like the size of a strawberry.. She never bleeds though, my other doesn't bleed either but does swell very much... Their behaviour seems to change a little bit too.. If she's on ABs it could be she still has a UTI and could be irritated and have a little drop of blood from that.. She's still quite young for a season I think 8 months seems to be the average. You will know when she's in heat... It's horrible!!!! If she gets grumpy after give her evening primrose a very well respected breeder/judge told me evening primrose and vitamin e gets them back to normal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts