Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I'm not sure if anyone remembers me mentioning in my previous discussion about the fact that I felt as though Zeus needed a playmate.......

Well he now has one......a beautiful full pedigree chihuahua we have named Isis :)

She's absolutely stunning and has such a brilliant personality - Zeus is a little boisterous with her though and as he's quite a bit stockier than she has been getting a little annoyed with him when he's trying to play so we've had a few lil snappy episodes but keeping a close eye on them and things are calming...

My mate said I was crazy and I have to agree with her but to be honest I have become so in love with chihuahuas I knew one more would complete the family and she absolutely has :)

Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips on helping them get along better?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also want to add that one or both of them will CERTAINLY be getting spayed/neutered as soon as the time comes.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Two are so much more fun! Congratulations. It sounds like they are getting on fine, especially if she is telling him off when he gets too much. As long as he is backing down at this point I would leave them to it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes we were getting a bit worried as they both have displayed aggression a few times but we put a stop to it straight away. Hopefully they'll love each other soon :)

He's got awfully possessive over his old bed and bowl which is weird because I couldn't get him to use either before!

I'll begin with her crate training as soon as it arrives :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
How funny! My chi's name is Zeus and I just got him a playmate too! She has large personality and even though she is only 9 weeks old, we caught her growling at him if he got too close. Which is a no-no. We got Luna about a week ago, and the first day or two this went on, but now they play and she follows him around wherever he goes.

She seems to get jealous of Zeus when I call him to play with me and she'll push him out of the way (she is less than a pound but sure acts bigger).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG! Really?? How cool - what's even crazier is I was actually set on calling Isis Luna when I first brought her home! How insane of a coincidence that would have been eh? LOL!! I'm really hoping they get on well within the next couple of ddays I've felt bad for Zeus as Isis' crate hasn't arrived yet he's spent quite a bit of time in his today so I can keep them apart if I have to be out of the room just incase they get into it. Yh Isis has a strong personality I think that's why its taking so long for them to establish an heirachy she's like me in that sense ha ha. Can't wait to have them both out for cuddles :) how old is your Zeus? X

·
Registered
363 Posts
That is so amazing! We must have the same brain! LOL! My Zeus has a passive personality, so it was a bit easier for him to accept another puppy. Plus, he is still a puppy himself (he is a year on October 20th). They'll learn to love each other. How old is your Zeus and Isis?

·
Registered
725 Posts
It could take a couple weeks especialy if Zeus is a mature dog. I took about a month for my Pappillon to warm up to Charlie he was right choked that I brought this new puppy home he wouldn't even talk to me for a week LOL He's great now he and Charlie have become good friends but it defiantly was not the case when I brought Charlie home. Give it time let them figure it out on their own without to much interferince from you don't allow one to hurt the other but don't rush in and stop every little confrontation either you must still make sure to do things for Zeus first so he doesn't think he's being replaced by a younger version he has to know you love him and he will always be number one dog.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Congrats on the new addition! I'm sure they're just sizing each other up, and figuring out who's going to take the dominant spot. As long as no one is actually getting hurt, I wouldn't worry about it. Can't wait to see some pics!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have become so in love with chihuahuas I knew one more would complete the family and she absolutely has :)
Mwahahahaha ... that is what I said when I got my 2nd. I now have x 4 :coolwink:

I too was going to say please DO NOT put a stop to their learning curve of growling, snapping, snarling at each other - they cannot speak so they are teachig each other their boundaries in the only way they have and if you (an others reading) interfere, growl, separate and stop them you are doing them a huge disservice and creating even bigger problems for the long run.

Unless blood will be drawn, leave them well alone to be dogs, because that is what they are, first and foremost!!!! Wear ear plugs & blindfolds if you have to and just think of all the money you'll be saving by not paying canine behaviourists down the track.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Congratulations! They are so much fun to watch. I would love to get another one but my golden likes it quiet and the cat really doesn't like Angel!! The cat hides under the bed all the time.

Enjoy your little ones!

·
Registered
836 Posts
So exciting!!! Congrats! I am secretly wanting a sexing and Chloe is only 7 months. I keep thinking she needs a playmate her size.... :p can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Mwahahahaha ... that is what I said when I got my 2nd. I now have x 4 :coolwink:

I too was going to say please DO NOT put a stop to their learning curve of growling, snapping, snarling at each other - they cannot speak so they are teachig each other their boundaries in the only way they have and if you (an others reading) interfere, growl, separate and stop them you are doing them a huge disservice and creating even bigger problems for the long run.

Unless blood will be drawn, leave them well alone to be dogs, because that is what they are, first and foremost!!!! Wear ear plugs & blindfolds if you have to and just think of all the money you'll be saving by not paying canine behaviourists down the track.
Yes to everything she said. Let them figure it out. They need to do this as long no blood is drawn. My pack has tussles all the time. It's normal. And I love the name Isis, I have one, too. :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You won't regret getting a 2nd Chi (just try and stop at 2 or you will end up being called a 'crazy dog lady' by friends and family just like I am). Chi's love the company of their own kind and it's hours of entertainment watching them interact.

I had my first Chi for about 6 weeks before I decided he needed a playmate and I'm so glad I did! I have a 3rd now and they get along really well (as long as no one touches Axle's bear and there are no bully stricks in the house).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey ladies :)

Yeah its been hard to let them get on with it! Sometimes it seems like they want to kill each other - I've managed to do it though and slowly they seem to be accepting each other and starting to somewhat get along LOL!! Isis is a feisty little thing and has Zeus on his back a fair bit even though he's much tougher than she is - she grew up with other chi's and great dane's which explains it ha ha - she's a gorgeous dainty little thing and I just realised she's a spitting image of Lucy Mecklenburgh's chi :)

Zeus is 15 weeks and Isis is 14 weeks - both going potty in the right place and sleeping nearly through the night :) She also learned to sit in about 3 mins today!

My bf keeps telling me I'm guilty of favouritism but I can't help it she's sooo gorgeous and cuddly - Zeus is my baby though ha ha!

Hoping these pics attach properly :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ohh and we had a lovely moment today both of them sleeping on me Isis by my side and Zeus on my lap and Isis turned behind her and lay her head on Zeus! Both me and BF were like :') - he took a pic but I was looking a right state so they have been placed in a vault LOL!! xx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts