Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have a 6 month old chi. We live in a apartment on the 2nd floor and thought we were doing ourselves a favor by potty training Astro to go into the bathroom on potty pads. He's nearly perfect with them. But now, he goes whenever he needs to on his own. If he's in the bedroom with us and the doors closed he has a tendency to poop in the room when he has to go. He doesn't even let us know so we could open the door for him to go into the bathroom. He has no issue going out side when we take him out. I really think it's time he started being like any other dog and only pottying outside and letting us know when he has to go. I have no clue where to start and breake the conditioning he already has. Please help!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Simple... frequent walks. Take him out as often as possible, preferably every
three hours. Each time he potties outside PRAISE him in a happy voice "Good
pee pee!". As for the house, get rid of the pads(just like that cold turkey) and
clean everywhere he ever urinated or defecated with an enzymatic cleaner.
Because if you don't as long as your dog can smell his personal scent, he'll
continue to return to the "accident zone". With consistency and encouragement
you will get results, just be patient.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't have much advise on switching to pottying outside, but you're setting him up to fail when he doesn't have access to the pads because the door is closed. If you decide to keep the pads make sure they are where he can get to them quick.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sorry, but in my opinion, living up on the 2nd floor, he will ALWAYS need potty pads. He's a dog, therefore, by the time he lets you know he wants to go, you need to get up, get his harness & lead, get them on, wait for the elevator and get him out ..... he could've gone 10 times by then! Are you wanting/willing to take him out very late at night in the dead of winter? I certainly wouldnt be.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I'm going to agree with Lindsay. The potty pad should never be in a room that the door is closed at any time. Mine are potty pad trained only. They will go for walks outside and come back in and go to the potty pad, but I never block them off from the pad in any way.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Miya potties both inside on pads and outside. I like outside when it's warm. That's the preferred method. However, we trained her inside primarily so when it rains or it's really cold in the winter, she knows where to go inside. Also, if we aren't home for any reason and can't take her out, she has her pads. During the winter months, I am so happy we decided to train her on pads because I dread going out in the cold.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Sorry, but in my opinion, living up on the 2nd floor, he will ALWAYS need potty pads. He's a dog, therefore, by the time he lets you know he wants to go, you need to get up, get his harness & lead, get them on, wait for the elevator and get him out ..... he could've gone 10 times by then! Are you wanting/willing to take him out very late at night in the dead of winter? I certainly wouldnt be.

Dee, I have a disabling chronic illness which causes me 24/7 pain and makes it
difficult to walk. I live on the second floor in an apartment. I also live in Canada
and we have some serious winters here. Yet all of my dogs and all rescues no
matter what breed, size, or age all are trained to go outside. Even 2 pound Bella
who we rescued a month ago and who was not potty trained whatsoever at almost
2 years of age, now goes outside only, 4 times per day. It is possible, you simply
need consistency.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My little ones have an option to go inside on their "indoor park" (one of those astroturf contraptions) or outside when we go "outties." So they do both. Regardless of what you decide to do, I agree with others that if you have him indoor trained, he needs access to the indoor pads. Good luck and be patient! ;}

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Try putting a potty pad i your room when you plan on shutting the door, that way he has access to one and can prevent accidents. My boy Hotchi uses pee pads, he is fully trai ed to them but i still keep a pad i every room so theres always one close by. Plus Justice is still a young pup and needs it to always be within sprinting distance lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Dee, I have a disabling chronic illness which causes me 24/7 pain and makes it
difficult to walk. I live on the second floor in an apartment. I also live in Canada
and we have some serious winters here. Yet all of my dogs and all rescues no
matter what breed, size, or age all are trained to go outside. Even 2 pound Bella
who we rescued a month ago and who was not potty trained whatsoever at almost
2 years of age, now goes outside only, 4 times per day. It is possible, you simply
need consistency.
I couldn't agree more, that's why I asked the OP if they were "wanting or willing" to go outside all hours of the night and day so their dog can toilet. Many people may not be willing or able to do this.

For example, when I'm sleeping 18 hours a day, there is no way on god's green earth I could get my lot anywhere, much less outside from a 2nd story apartment in anything less than a dry 70 degrees.

Some peoples' circumstances are such that they have to use pee pads all the time and, if they're going to, then they need to do it properly for their sake & the dog's!

I just wish peeps who were going to use these things for 16 years (I was chewing through 4 a day) would get themselves using the waterproof washable ones to save the planet from the zillion tons of unnecessary land-fill. Oh, that's right, silly me, we don't have to worry about the planet, it'll all be fixed up by unseen forces in due course of course lmao, so we can just continue to destroy every aspect in the meantime.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I couldn't agree more, that's why I asked the OP if they were "wanting or willing" to go outside all hours of the night and day so their dog can toilet. Many people may not be willing or able to do this.

For example, when I'm sleeping 18 hours a day, there is no way on god's green earth I could get my lot anywhere, much less outside from a 2nd story apartment in anything less than a dry 70 degrees.

Some peoples' circumstances are such that they have to use pee pads all the time and, if they're going to, then they need to do it properly for their sake & the dog's!

I just wish peeps who were going to use these things for 16 years (I was chewing through 4 a day) would get themselves using the waterproof washable ones to save the planet from the zillion tons of unnecessary land-fill. Oh, that's right, silly me, we don't have to worry about the planet, it'll all be fixed up by unseen forces in due course of course lmao, so we can just continue to destroy every aspect in the meantime.
Of course, I agree, you have to WANT it. I'm living in a small space so to me
pottying outside is a must. It's a personal choice, and I definitely agree that
if one chooses pads then it has to be done correctly. Wow girl, I must admit
I'm a bit jealous of your sleep time, I'm lucky to get 3 hours per night, it's
tough.

So I take it you are liking the washable pads? How many did you get? How
often do you have to wash them? Is there a smell? I'm curious, I don't know
anyone who uses them. They make sense though.

And what's up with these "forces" you speak of? You lost me there. :eek:
Should I stop recycling then?! lol ;)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Of course, I agree, you have to WANT it. I'm living in a small space so to me
pottying outside is a must. It's a personal choice, and I definitely agree that
if one chooses pads then it has to be done correctly. Wow girl, I must admit
I'm a bit jealous of your sleep time, I'm lucky to get 3 hours per night, it's
tough.

So I take it you are liking the washable pads? How many did you get? How
often do you have to wash them? Is there a smell? I'm curious, I don't know
anyone who uses them. They make sense though.

And what's up with these "forces" you speak of? You lost me there. :eek:
Should I stop recycling then?! lol ;)
Ooh, don't be jealous off me sleeping 18 hours a day every day, I'm sleeping my life away and hate it.

As for "liking" the washables ... I don't like any pads at all, never had them in my hoose before, not ever, and yet have never had less than 3 dogs at any given time, blaarrrgh.

Because of very high bone content, raw meat & ZiwiPeak, their poos are always odourless, very tiny and super firm (except when I dish out lots of liver or kidney jerky) so I'm able to simply keep sweeping them up & flushing them with a little dustpan & broom. WHEN there's anything that's not as described, I simply take it out onto the deck & high pressure hose nozzle it, sling it over the ballustrade & leave in the sun for a day or two before washing.

I would say there's a very slight odour in the pads from the pee, but no different to human incontinence, bed wetting etc. I run them thru the wash but also throw in a liberal dose of smelly disinfectent. We don't get the incredible and lovely scented wash products you get over there which is a damn PITA, nor do we get scented "Bounce" dryer sheets etc., double PITA!!! I bought back a box from USA 12 years ago & I'm still eeking them out, can u believe it lmao.

The 12 pads I got are el supremo quality - washable & tumble dryable to 90C and I have 4 laid down at all times - 1 in my bedroom, 2 in lge open plan living area & 1 outside on a doggy-door deck where they MUST go to get water which is forcing them to use the outside pad a lot more. I removed another pad from living area yesterday & no accidents or going where it was so I'm pretty thrilled about that. I find 12 gives me an excellent rotation and allows me breathing space in between washing a big load at a time ie. I can wash 8 which is a full load for my 7kg front loader, and still have the other 4 down being used.

These are multi-layer, purpose built, R&R over years, specifically made by a leading incontinence company, not cobbled together by the Etsy Craft Brigade using normal material. I was amazed at the manufacturing quality, these babies are going to last for years and years.

They worked out to $10 ea pad, are about 2'6" x 2'6" and now I couldn't live without them as they're down & used 3-4 times as much as those pathetic chinese plastic pieces of crap that the urine runs straight through & messes with my antique floorboards. This be them: Absorbent and washable floor mats for pet incontinence | Conni Critters - they also make products for adults, kids etc. and I'm sure they'd be willing to post overseas at a reasonable rate.

So, the long and the short of it is, no, I hate pads, hate the concept of animals emptying themselves inside but, if it's got to be, then let it be done as "nicely" as possible - think about it, non-doggy/animal people would absolutely die with shock & horror at the thought of what we put up with lol lol

Oh, "the forces" repairing the planet lmfao - in the theme of must believe what I'm told and not daring to question or argue with those who know better, we don't have to worry about looking after the planet because apparently that fella called god is gonna restore, fix it all up when he floats down on his cloud saying, "I'm baaaaaaaack!", so worrying about land-fill, polution, global warming etc. is all a moot point don't ya know.

So people use, with gay abandon, all the plastic everything ... disposable nappies, puppy pee pads, go for it - let's see 1 dog using pads for 16 years at 1 pad (conservative) per day equals just shy of 6,000 pads and I was using at least 4 a day = just over 23,000 pads, but not to worry, it'll all be alright, it's not like there's many people in the world behaving as badly as me, is there?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I LOVE pee pads. All of mine go inside on pads, and outside also. Certainly Do NOT close a door and expect 6month old puppy to 'tell' you he has to go. If you cannot keep the door open, then get a puppy playpen and keep him in there at night. Keep the door open to where the pads are. Just remember when there is a storm, high wind, rain, lightening etc those pads come in mighty handy!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
My suggestion for training to go outside is to crate train your puppy. Angel absolutely loves his crate! He sleeps in it, in our bedroom. But when we got him at nine weeks old, I would wake him up and take him out at about 3:am. The vet said if he's sleeping, let him sleep til he wakes up! So, he has been going 8-9 hours each night without having to potty!! I've never had a pup like that and probably never will again!

Angel is the first dog I have to use pee pads. I also dont like indoor pottys. But I'm getting old and lazy (lol) He goes potty outside more than he does inside. I had three dogs at the same time and they were all trained to go out - no matter what! Oh well, I'm changing a lot in my old age! Haha!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Simple... frequent walks. Take him out as often as possible, preferably every
three hours. Each time he potties outside PRAISE him in a happy voice "Good
pee pee!". As for the house, get rid of the pads(just like that cold turkey) and
clean everywhere he ever urinated or defecated with an enzymatic cleaner.
Because if you don't as long as your dog can smell his personal scent, he'll
continue to return to the "accident zone". With consistency and encouragement
you will get results, just be patient.
What she said!! =D We use washable potty pads here "just in case" since we often get fosters who are used to them; I finally just got to where I put them in discrete areas and am always checking to make sure they're dry. It can be a hard habit to break once they're used to it; especially if they still have access to where the pads USED to be; but you can also block the areas that used to have pads with a chair, or table,or any decoration just temporarily while they adjust to the "outside only" schedule. Lots and lots of frequent breaks are good; you basically want for the pup to have every opportunity to go outside. Eventually you can cut back on the breaks (we still let dogs out about every 4 hours here; but we also spend a lot of time walking and playing outdoors with them.) When you don't spend a lot of time inside, it's a lot easier hehe. Good luck!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.