Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chihuahua is 17 years old which I know is old, but he was fine until recently. He lost his brother on March 13th, and recently he has been very down, he will only eat a couple of things, he doesn't like to go on walks but he still goes in the back yard, and he can't control his blatter. He has arthritis and I'm not sure if that causes him to sometimes whine at night or if it is something else but he still loves rubs and tickles. I am not sure what to do because no buddy wants to put their dog down, but I'm not too sure about his quality of life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it was my love i would just consider whats best for him... is he suffering? How is his quality of life? Is he happy?
More good then bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not an easy decision to make. I recently had to have my 12yr old put to sleep. Consider these things: Is your fur baby suffering, what quality of life does your fur baby have now and in the foreseeable future, and what is the most humane thing for your fur baby. I am sure you have taken good care of your fur baby and have had a wonderful life with your dog and your dog has had a happy life with you. The question is what is best for your fur baby and you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here are a number of tools for assessing quality of life:

There's a lot of overlap in the considerations, of course. Wishing the best for you and your chi!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My chihuahua is 17 years old which I know is old, but he was fine until recently. He lost his brother on March 13th, and recently he has been very down, he will only eat a couple of things, he doesn't like to go on walks but he still goes in the back yard, and he can't control his blatter. He has arthritis and I'm not sure if that causes him to sometimes whine at night or if it is something else but he still loves rubs and tickles. I am not sure what to do because no buddy wants to put their dog down, but I'm not too sure about his quality of life.
You will just know. Hard to explain but we had to say goodbye to our 16 year old chi last summer. We just knew she was ready to go. I wish you luck because it is not an easy decision- but at 17 your pup has had a nice long life already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can buy a pet bed for your dog to help him more comfortable during sleep, because the foam bed helps spread the weight of the dog, reducing the pressure on the knee joints. You can add a railroad track to help your dog get up and down the stairs easily. Remember to keep your dog and knee warm with a coat or sweater. If possible, take medications that help ease the symptoms of arthritis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts