Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is probably a name for this behavior because I have seen so many chis do this but I don't know what it is called. When I call Paco to come he usually comes very well. HOWEVER, sometimes he thinks it is play time and he will come and when I reach out to him he runs away. The more he does this the more frustrated I become! I don't know how to deal with it. He will come if I have a treat but I want him to come all the time.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to help him understand what I want? He often does it when I want to hook the leash to his halter. The strange thing is I know he wants to go out but he pulls away when I reach for him! ARGH!!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You might try getting on his level when hooking his leash. If you think about it we are giants to them. I trained Jaxx when I say, up, he climbs up on a chair or the loveseat so that he doesn't run away like that. I think it helps that he is on my level when he gets up.

Jaxx does this when we are outside and someone tries to pet him.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It's definitely "A Chi Thing" = all 3 of mine do it despite rigorous sit & down training and I've been darned if I can find a way to keep them there once that hand goes over behind their head.

Mine won't let me go to the bathroom alone so if I'm taking them somewhere, I trick them into there, close the door and then do whatever I need to do. In a confined space where they can't bolt, they behave perfectly. It's very, very odd.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I trained Jaxx when I say, up, he climbs up on a chair or the loveseat so that he doesn't run away like that. I think it helps that he is on my level when he gets up.
I think you are right. I used to have a loveseat by the door and he would run right up and get on the arm. We never had a problem. I rearranged the furniture when he was neutered so he couldn't jump from the couch to the loveseat because the vet said he should stay quiet for a week. Guess I will just move it back. Great idea!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's definitely "A Chi Thing" = all 3 of mine do it despite rigorous sit & down training and I've been darned if I can find a way to keep them there once that hand goes over behind their head.

Mine won't let me go to the bathroom alone so if I'm taking them somewhere, I trick them into there, close the door and then do whatever I need to do. In a confined space where they can't bolt, they behave perfectly. It's very, very odd.
Yes, I almost always have him on a leash when we are outside but yesterday his new car seat came. I was just going out for a minute and put it in the car and he always stays right by my side so I let him come with me without the leash. My son stopped in while we were out there and Paco went running to the car to meet him. He is so little that my son didn't see him. When I called to Paco to come, he did and then ran right back like it was a game. By that time, my son saw he was loose and stopped til I picked up Paco but it was a frightening moment!

He is so smart and so obedient about everything else, I figured it must be an instinct that is deeply ingrained. It is probably the most frightening and annoying thing about my guy!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango has always done this. Jazz never has. Go figure! If I squat all the way down, Tango will come to me willingly and jump right on my lap. But if I reach down for him, he backs away. Once I get my hands on him though, he's fine and won't run. But until I actually touch him, he's not very co-operative.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My little one does this too! She's only 3 months old. She ALWAYS thinks it's a game. mostly she does this when it's time to go outside, if we're on the 2nd floor I need to carry her down the stairs (We haven't mastered those yet!) I've tried going like 4 stairs down so my head is literally level with her and that makes it worse lol.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
This is one of the most annoying things I've ever encountered with any darn dog - I truly think it's size related, what else can it be?

I think we all need to keep trying different things until we find a cure for this and then publish it - it'll be one of the greatest Chi mysteries SOLVED for all time.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Axle does this. What works for me is a staring competition. If I focus on him, don't blink and look very cross he slowly comes back to me. Then I praise him. It doesn't stop him doing it but it stops me chasing after him.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I use clicker training with both dogs. I love Emily Larlham on youtube (she goes by kikopup). She demonstrates with dogs of all sizes including her chi mix!
I clicker trained a "collar grab" which isnt really a grab... It just got my dogs comfortable with me putting my hand on their collar. This was important for agility but also helps with leash hooking and unhooking.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
OMG! Lulu does it too! Drives me insane! And Lulu minds so well about 99.9% of things and she doesn't think we are playing--ya'll are finally solving the mystery--it's just a chi (or little dog) thing. When we are going somewhere and she WANTS to go she will still run around me and make me have to chase her down, or if I just get home and she is so excited and wants me to pick her up she still runs around and I have to chase her. If she jumps up in my recliner I can get her easy, so I usually steer her there and it's all over. Now for the funny part--if I'm in the chair and she wants up here with me she will stand there and beg until I bend down to pick her up then BACK UP-UUUGGGHHH!! If I wait her out she will stand and beg forever and will not jump up in the chair even though she can, but if my husband gets up from his chair to put her up in my lap she will jump up with me real quick before he gets to her (crazy dog)!!! All I can say is it is just a good thing we adore her! LOL And yes she needs doggy therapy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I almost always have him on a leash when we are outside but yesterday his new car seat came. I was just going out for a minute and put it in the car and he always stays right by my side so I let him come with me without the leash. My son stopped in while we were out there and Paco went running to the car to meet him. He is so little that my son didn't see him. When I called to Paco to come, he did and then ran right back like it was a game. By that time, my son saw he was loose and stopped til I picked up Paco but it was a frightening moment!

He is so smart and so obedient about everything else, I figured it must be an instinct that is deeply ingrained. It is probably the most frightening and annoying thing about my guy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Pepe will go outside without being asked to and I have a command "HOUSE" he will stop anything he doing and turn and run back in. Then I get him and take him to the door and say "stay" and he will but so far if any door is open he will go out , never to the street he's afraid of cars. Maybe someone can give us both some advise on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts