Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But certainly, if you can please help out Japan. My family hasn't been affected there, but there are friends of family that are still unaccounted for.

I know Lady Gaga is now selling "Pray For Japan" wristbands for $5 and according to the site all the proceeds go to Japan. Red Cross is doing a ton, different churches etc. every bit helps!

I know it's early but it really feels like, at least locally, we've dropped the ball here. I know it's not a fair comparison economically but when the Haiti Earthquake happened that's all I heard about for months and people were donating like mad and now a lot of people haven't even heard about it.

I'm going to see what I can do to get a supplies donation going (a perk of working in a drugstore, many people are willing to donate a $1 toothbrush without much afterthought) it just depends on whether or not my boss is 'in the mood' to start fund-raising.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What a great idea! My sister's future inlaws live in Japan and I've yet to hear how they are. I donated to redcross and it would be great if they managed to do what they did for Haiti. I've heard nasty things being said on facebook about Japan and it just sickens me.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really is sickening the way this is being treated, like I said this is locally what i've observed, but literally no one cares - where I work they have said the meanest and nastiest things and just flat out do not care.

Some of our closest family and friends live in Japan, and we were fortunate to not be affected but for crying out loud they were tripping over themselves to help haiti and now this?

Let us get over ourselves shall we? That's my opinion at least.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
My grandad was in the Royal Air Force in WWII and was taken prisoner by the Japanese. He lived in a POW camp in Singapore for 5 years where he was horribly mistreated- beaten, tortured, starved- most of the POWs did not survive, and he still suffers from major health problems as a result. He has carried anger and hatred ever since- my whole life he has been very racist against the Japanese. About maybe 8 years ago he and my Nana surprised everyone by taking a trip to Japan. I forget what the program was called, but it was established in Japan for POWs and their families ( I could do it if I wanted for example, cant remember but I think it was sponsored by the Japanese government) where they invite you to visit Japan in an effort to repair any lingering pain or hostility. My nana and grandad decided to participate (a difficult decision for them) in a trip, I think it was 2 weeks long, and completely free. They visited each island, and on each island were put up in a 5 star hotel, and also in the home of a Japanese host family. They had an incredible time- the country was beautiful, they were taken on guided tours, were so warmly received, each host family gave them a gift to thank them for visiting (handpainted Japanese art, etc- so cool) and it did so much to cure the pain that my grandad had carried with him his whole life. With all the horrific things that happened during the second world war on ALL sides, I think its incredible and says a lot about the Japanese people that they would go to so much effort and expense to try to ease my grandads suffering. The change in him is incredible, and they both left with a love for the country and the people. It was truly a life changing trip for them.
I know its a really different culture that some people dont really relate, etc, but this is such a terrible HUMAN tragedy- I cant even imagine! Its sad to think that for whatever reason, cultural differences, past events, whatever, that some people could be indifferent, or worse, to such an enormous tragedy.
For those that can donate, I think the easiest way is to to text REDCROSS to 90999 and you automatically donate $10.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for sharing that story, it's very touching.

I grew up with a couple Japanese families on our street and the culture is different of course and everyone shares their prejudices to each their own but you're entirely right, this is a human tragedy and that is why i'm ranting about the lack of support at work, go figure.

It's very moving that people like your Grandad can grow past things like that, they're absolutely horrifying events and it takes a very courageous person to do so. My mom dated a man who fought in Vietnam and was never really ever "right" again, so hearing about that Veterans program in Japan warms my spirit :]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts