Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 year old chihuahua, named Ren. He has had this dry cough for a month now. When we took him in, the vet gave us antibiotics. It helped for a week, but now it's back. He has also become very weak. Haven't heard him bark in months and he is real real protective. After we gave him his bath last week, he plopped down on the towel while I blow dried him. He looks so sad. Walks real slow like he is forcing himself. And we hate seeing him like this.

I am going to call the vet in the morning. I'm scared that if I take him to the vet, they will suggest putting him to sleep. We have never had to deal with a real old dog. Princess is 2 years old and Dixie is 4 months. So I really can't imagine...

Could there be something wrong with his lungs and/or trachea that'll cause him to keep coughing even after medicine?

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's always sad seeing them get old. The cough could be caused by a heart problem which can be relieved by drugs, take him back to the vet & they may be able to help. Dogs are like people & some just slow down as they get older. Good luck.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had a shih-tzu that I lost when he was only 11. We noticed him having a bad cough and took him to the vet, hew as put on medications, and it did make it better, but he'd still have his occasional fits of coughing, especially at night. The vet monitored him for a while, but he just steadily kept getting worse. He then noticed that water was starting to get into his lungs. He was starting to actually feel pain, and we didn't want him to. They suggested we put him to sleep, and so we did. It was hard, he was my very first dog and the best dog in whole world! :cry: But the last thing we wanted was him to suffer for anything. You should find out what's wrong for his sake, and yours.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I hope your baby can get well. How about a holistic vet? Sometimes nature has more cures than people realize. Just giving a dog an antibiotic may not be the answer. Best wishes for you :(

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I'll keep Ren in my thoughts. I hope it is something that is easily curable. Good luck and let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Please come back and update us.
11 is not really old for a chi. I bet your vet can do something.

About when it is time.. My last dog made it to 16. She was a Samoyed/Terrier mix. I did my best to take my own feelings out of the equation and watch her to see how happy she was. It's a quality of life issue. If she was not in pain and she was happy for part of the day, then no matter what I had to do for her like even holding her up so she could potty, she stayed. I was lucky in that she went from tail wagging days to intense pain within 24 hours so my decision was made for me.

Personally, I don't think you're gonna have to deal with this yet. 11 just isn't that old. It could be a combo of some simple things like kennel cough and arthritis that can be cleared up and managed and you'll have a happy pup again. :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Please take him to the vet, it might just be a cold that can be taken care of, they look at us as their protectors and we should always do what is in their best interest. Hopefully it is nothing too serious and can be taken care of.

My toy poodle, who lives with my mom (he's her dog now..lol) he is my baby, I have had him since I was 15, and he is 10 now, going on 11. I see him about once or twice a week now and when i go to my moms She stays with Gizmo and I stay with Joey. It is sooo hard knowing they are getting old. The other day I was hugging him and started crying!! My mom asked me what was wrong and I said, he's my first dog, I don't want him to get old, which I know it is nature, but I know it hurts....

With that being said we all agreed if Joey starts to suffer it is time for good-bye, my eyes water just thinking of it....

Anyways, long post, but I just wanted to let you know we all have or are in similar situations...

Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
sick chi

:wave: hello I don't know alot about dogs in general but I know alot of folks with older dogs I'm sure further investigation for the cough will be beneficial and you may ask the vet about giving BABY ASPIRIN for the pain it could be arthritis and i know lots of people who give baby aspirin to there pets just one in the morning or at night. My thoughts are with you hope everything gets better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
God, i really hope when you take him to the vet its not so difficult. I hope things get better and you and your chi will b in my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Like everyone I hope it is something the vet can do to help. I agree the final decision has to be the quality of life for the poor baby. Keep up hope and positive thoughts to you

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh no, poor Ren, I will keep your chi in my thoughts!
It doesn't necessarily mean the end for him so definetly go to multiple vets before making any decision, he's not that old for a chi and could have many more happy years in him.
My aunt's chi had a constant cough which is now treated with medication and he just has to be watched closely. No getting him too excited, he eats a special diet and gets lots of rest on his little bed and plenty of cuddles. His is due to a heart condition, but he's had it for 4 years now and the little guy is still going on strong. He may be weak and he's 16 years old now but he is definetly happy and he isn't in pain, so as long as your chi does not suffer I say the best thing you can do is stay by their side!
Best wishes and lots of chi love

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes, definitely take him to the vet. There are so many things that can be treated now, and it could very well not be serious. 11 is not really that old for a chi.

I had a similar experience with my chi, Tia, last year. She had a heart murmur when I got her from rescue, and over the years, it got steadily worse. But she had several good years with medication, even after it began to get much worse. I totally agree that it is a quality of life issue. As long as Tia was eating, and not in apparent pain, I did whatever it took to prolong her life including cooking special foods just to get her to eat, and at the end, I had to hold her up so she could go to the bathroom. Only when she ceased eating entirely, and began to have seizures did I finally agree that it was time to let her go. I couldn't stand seeing her in pain. Would I do it all again - absolutely!

It could be just something that can be treated, and he may just be slowing down some in his activities. But you owe it to him and yourself to have the vet check him out as soon as possible. Please keep us posted, sending positive thoughts your way.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The best of luck with that Vet appointment...we will keep you and Ren in our thoughts, please let us know what happens....hugs... :) :wave:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts