Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But the other day I felt on Godrics neck a small bump and I didn't think too much about it, but just a minute ago as I was getting off the sofa I rubbed over his neck and it's there, only it may be bigger. It's a small knot on the right side of his neck on the back, between shoulder and ear, I can't get him to hold still and I don't want to freak him out but he didn't act like he was in pain and he hasn't been acting unusual.

He has a vet appointment for boosters on Tuesday, does this sound like something that can wait or do I need to panic? I'm freaking out a little because i'm already worried I had a shoddy breeder I would hate for this to be some sort of condition.

I wish I could take a picture but you can't really see it, so much as you can see it :sad:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think he'll be o.k. til Tuesday as long as it doesn't seem to bother him. When you feel it & gently squeeze it, what does it feel like? Does it bother him when you touch it? If not, make sure you bring it up on Tuesday with your vet.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not rock hard or anything, but it's not squishy. He wasn't bothered and he didn't cry at me but it doesn't make him very happy to be messed with.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
When was the last time he got shots and has he got his rabies shots?

Its not entirely uncommon for puppies to get small knots/bumps where they got a vaccination or near the site.

My Oakley got one about the size of dime from her rabies shot and it took a good 5-6 months to go away. I was very worried about it but the more I read it does happen in reaction to vaccinations. I probably will avoid the rabies shot for her as long as possible and see if I can get a titer test to stand as proof of immunity because it IS a reaction and if they've had one, they can have another, and it will be worse.

Vets will often blow this fear off or dismiss it, you need to do your research and decide what is right for your dog. Easier said than done, but take a look at Jean Dodd's vaccination schedule just so you have another thing on your "table".

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He got his rabies and immunizations at 12weeks, this tuesday is his 15 week parvo booster and heartworm preventative scheduling.

Now that I think of it I think Gretel had a small bump too but I didn't realize it was up so far, and it's been almost 3 weeks since the shot. My vet is known for, well acting like i'm a new paranoid mother, he's very smart and I know he'd never let me leave if my dogs were in danger, but I worry i'll get an answer along those lines, which hopefully it is, I just hope he really evaluates it.

bleh, I hate this stuff. I worry about my poor babies constantly!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It could be a vaccine reaction they can take up to 6-8 weeks to go away. They are common, and usually don't cause any long term problems. You might want to talk to your vet about it and maybe wait to give him boosters since he is still having a reaction from the last shot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ciel has a little bumpy-thing like that too, in what sounds around the same area? o_O

I was kind of thinking it may be his microchip I'm feeling. I haven't had the chance to take him to a vet yet and ask all the "new puppy mom" questions, haha. (I have a whoooole list of questions I need to ask for the vet! xD But, I figure this little bump thing isn't too urgent.)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my little booger and his sister play rough a lot and I thought maybe she had nipped him, i'm not worried about him getting hurt as I watch them play and he lets her know when he's had enough but this is just so unusual. He isn't acting out of character, I can mess with it and he's fine, just worries me.

Hah, my vet and new mommy questions are somewhat amusing in hindsight. I adore my vet, he's absolutely brilliant but he's, well he's what you'd call your typical southern man. He doesn't sweat the small stuff and in a way that helps me out because it doesn't raise my alarm more than I should. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing, but if not we'll have to take care of it straight away. I'm glad to see it may just be the vaccinations!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts