Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 days ago my poor Fizzy Dave had a serious reaction to the Leptospirosis element of his booster ( It was so bad I really thought he wasn't going to pull through , he will never ever have a booster again) I was so scared , I took 3 days off work to stay with him ...

Anyway after 3 days off rest today he was asking to go out , so I took him for a steady little walk in the park , my Fizzy dog was so happy and is starting to feel better ...

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My vet is pretty sure it was the lepto part of the vaccine that caused the serious kind of reaction he had , i've never seen anything like it , I really thought he was going to die ... But to be sure I will 'never' give him any kind of booster again it's just not worth the risk ..

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
How awful, I'm so sorry you had such a scare! So glad he is doing better now, you must be so relieved. ((hugs))

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Ask for a 4-way shot series next year
as it doesnt include the lepto virus.
Im so glad hes ok!
He is a handsome chi boy!

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your kind words ... Fizzy Dave is a very special boy :)
( I got him after I had a big operation & I do believe he is the reason I recovered so well , he is my 'Angel Boy' xx

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
These sorts of things are so scary. I do give the vaccines but not as "combos". Rico get an injection of benedryl a half hour before an injection as well, then some children's liquid later. He looks great now in the walkies pic, you'd never guess...wow. He is amazing.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Poor guy, glad he is doing better. Lepto vaccines is one of the most common deadly reactions there are, very scary stuff, one reason we don't vaccinate for it. Not worth the risk since we don't see Lepto disease in our area.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poor guy, glad he is doing better. Lepto vaccines is one of the most common deadly reactions there are, very scary stuff, one reason we don't vaccinate for it. Not worth the risk since we don't see Lepto disease in our area.
I'll not be giving my lot the lepto vaccine ever again either ...
He is ok today , he seems to be itchy , i'm wondering if this may be another reaction , poor lad ..

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We almost lost Lily to the lepto vaccine when she was a puppy. Since then, we have not vaxed for lepto (and after this cancer debacle will not vax for anything but rabies).

You can get shots without the lepto component. When Lily had her reaction, we were told that Lepto is the most common cause of vaccine reactions then rabies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts