Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother bought Chiquita a new food seeing as our outdoor chi Edward is seriously over weight and she's trying to get him to slim down. So she bought some Wellness Small breed for both him and Chiquita because the kibble is tiny and since Edward had almost all his back teeth pulled he's only able to eat small things. Recently I've noticed Chiquita doesn't wanna eat her food where as when we first got it she couldn't get enough of it. Now when I take her out to do her business she goes pee but when she has to poo she walks around all squatty like and for the past day or two i've noticed its just really small poo like maybe one piece about the size of a thumb and for like five or so minutes she just walks about all hunched up like she's trying to go more but nothing comes out... Should I be worried? She also this morning puked a small quarter sized amount of frothy yellow orangeish liquid which I'm guessing is bile from not eating? Could she just have a little tummy ache or something?

I do know she did get into a little cup of greek style honey yogurt my room mate had carelessly left on the table next to the couch.... that wouldn't hurt her would it? I feel so stupid right now asking all these questions but she's the first chi I've owned myself thats not an outside family dog, she's my little princess and I feel horrible knowing maybe I caused her some kinda discomfort...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I'll let the others answer the kibble questions since I feed raw. But my main question is this....

Why is Edward an outside dog???????

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah...Outside and Chihuahua shouldn't mix..

However I did just start Wellness but I haven't noticed any unusual BMs, I think it's likely a tummy ache from the yogurt as it's chock full of sugar, and other things that aren't really dog friendly things.

Just keep an eye on her, there are threads about constipation if it becomes an issue.

What kibble were you feeding before?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I was gonna ask the same as Tracey I find that quite concerning all dogs should e inside IMO but chihuahuas should no way be outside

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of the chi's my family had growing up were outside watch dogs because my dad's the type that believes dogs are dogs and belong outside... that and when we found him (he was a stray running around the neighborhood) he never picked up the whole house training. He's a pretty big guy though he's bigger then Chiquita in size and weight but he's well taken care of has a huge house with tons of blankets food water and yard.... Chiquita gets to stay inside because she's tiny and the fact that I refused to let my mother take her to the pound when she was found.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Could be the food transition, could be added things in the yogurt. Plain, unsweetened yogurt is good for them, but no additives. Maybe she is constipated. Sometime certain foods don't work. Give it a week or so, if she doesn't start having regular bowel movements, make a switch to another food, slowly. Changing their food should be over the course of at least a week. Add in the new, to the old, until the old is phased out. Hope she is feeling better soon. :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Since Edward is missing teeth you might want to consider a soft or dehydrated food like ziwipeak or The Honest Kitchen. How old are your chis? Sounds like Chiquita is constipated. You could give her plain yogurt (around 1 tsp) to ease her stomache & help her go poop. If you've changed her food fast, it may be upsetting her stomache. Changing to a better quality food promotes a healthy dog that's more energetic & vibrant, but quantity is most important with anything you feed. You'll find this forum is excellent with what to feed & what not to feed (Nutrition Section) & plenty of different ideas & options that suit you & your Chis. The key is lots of reading & research & this is a good place to start. Welcome.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hmmm she could be constipated, or not getting enough, hence the bile.
Could have been the yoghurt too no sure.
Chis can be picky eaters and just go off their food, till they are offered something else.
Lift her food for 15 mins then offer it again, or maybe rub the bowl with something tasty like chicken or cheese.
If she is still struggling to poo and is sick though i would see a vet.
These wee ones can go downhill fast, so dont wait too long for her to eat.

I am also wondering why Edward is an outdoor dog though?, chi's especially should not be outdoor dogs, they need warmth not to mention companionship.
I am not trying to get at you, but that is just wrong to me.
Am not a fan of having any dog be an outdoor one anyhow, just dont see why people have them if they are not with the family.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
No Chi should be an outside dog. :wink: Too many things out there that can hurt them.
Totally agree! I breaks my heart to see a small dog outside. These are one of the most social dogs you'll ever find that long to be with us & to think they have so much to endure outside means you might find him hurt, sick or dead. No matter how safe your back yard is, it's dangerous for something so small.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I did the slow transition thing with the food since my cat is a picky eater and has pretty much different foods every few months... when she first got here she was eating purina beneful but that was making her poo all runny.

As for Edward outside he's about the size of a tomcat and where I live there really isn't anything dangerous since my backyard is surrounded by a 6 foot brick wall, no wildlife except for the occassional fat pigeon sitting on the telephone line. He's also out with our Olde English Bulldogge who was raise from a wee puppy with him. But when it's cold or super hot like it's been out here in So. Cal I bring him inside to lay on his pillow and cool down with the air conditioning...

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I know you asked about the food I have no clue I don't feed kibble but maybe you could tell your parents chis were bred for companionship and toilet training is the owners responsibility making him live where he pees and poos is awful I'm really upset by this I want to take him home with me

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Please don't take what ever one is saying the wrong way. No one means it in a cruel way. Everyone here loves small dogs, chis & all dogs so much, that it touches a nerve & everyone here talks from experience. As you read many of the topics posted, you will notice how fragile these little fellows are. These chis were not domesticated to be outside dogs no matter where they live. They just won't live long. They can suffer from heat stroke, hyperthermia & even depression as they are "Lap dogs." My chi sleeps with me & even goes to the bathroom with me. I'm never out of her site & I love that. If you can't find a way to bring Edward in as part of the family, maybe you could find someone who would. I've never seen a problem finding these little ones forever homes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay I totally respect everyone's worry over Edward. I feel bad for any dog outdoors. But a) he doesn't live where he pees or poos he actually goes in a designated area of the yard that he's decided that place will be the bathroom. He was a stray running the streets till he decided to walk through our back gate one morning while my sister was bringing in the trash cans believe me I've tried to make him indoors but he tolerates it for a few hours then is scratching and whining to be outside and all dogs my family's had were all well taken care of socialized and loved. My previous chis both outdoor dogs lived to be 15 yrs old when they passed (they were cousins) Edward is around nine years old now and aside from the bad teeth he's happy and healthy and now that my parents are actually LISTENING for once about how dogs need a more protien based diet and how the commercial foods are just crap I'm hoping he'll live as long as my other chis if not longer.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah I did the slow transition thing with the food since my cat is a picky eater and has pretty much different foods every few months... when she first got here she was eating purina beneful but that was making her poo all runny.

As for Edward outside he's about the size of a tomcat and where I live there really isn't anything dangerous since my backyard is surrounded by a 6 foot brick wall, no wildlife except for the occassional fat pigeon sitting on the telephone line. He's also out with our Olde English Bulldogge who was raise from a wee puppy with him. But when it's cold or super hot like it's been out here in So. Cal I bring him inside to lay on his pillow and cool down with the air conditioning...
I am sorry but it really doesnt matter what size he is, he needs to be indoors.
Please have a word about that eh.
It is not on!
Even the bigger end of the scale chis are still small dogs, and like we have all said they are very much people dogs, and defo not guard dogs.
Anyone looking to buy one would know this if they did their research on the breed, and if an outdoor dog was something they wanted they shoud have stayed clear of a chi.
I also dont want anyone else reading this thinking that it is ok to have them outside.
Sorry but it bothers me so much cause it isnt ok no matter what.:(

I hope your little one is ok anyway.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I work for a vet and we actually had a client who had a German Shepherd who got attacked by a Cougar in her own backyard which was a 6 foot brick wall. So just because there is a brick wall doesn't mean it's safe. Also owls, hawks, eagles like to pick up and take off with Chi's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:( Well... I kinda feel like an idiot really for mentioning Edward I feel like some kinda horrible animal abuser now. I mean where I live almost all the watchdogs here are either chis or pits. I love my dogs and I'd never think of giving them away they're family. I'm sorry for upsetting so many of you because he's an outdoor dog. Really I am, and I appreciate those of you who've answered my question thank you I'm going to observe Chiquita and if she's still feeling icky before after work I'll take her to the vet clinic.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
:( Well... I kinda feel like an idiot really for mentioning Edward I feel like some kinda horrible animal abuser now. I mean where I live almost all the watchdogs here are either chis or pits. I love my dogs and I'd never think of giving them away they're family. I'm sorry for upsetting so many of you because he's an outdoor dog. Really I am, and I appreciate those of you who've answered my question thank you I'm going to observe Chiquita and if she's still feeling icky before after work I'll take her to the vet clinic.
You shouldn't feel like an idiot, everyone here is - in a helpful way, trying to bring to your attention that Edward is in danger and you shouldn't be ignorant to their advice. You may not think it now, but Edwards LIFE is in danger of being cut short, and unfulfilled. My mum occasionally has a batch of kittens, she lives on a farm, that pretty much keep to themselves around the garden and in my experience i've seen at LEAST 2 of them be stalked and hunted as prey by either a hawk or eagle. Don't underestimate a bird of prey.

Everyone here has about the same idea, dogs are meant to be companions, lap animals. They double sometimes as other things, for example watch dogs - just the other day a lady posted how her dog had alerted her to burglars, but that isn't to imply they're outdoor dogs. I understand your father has the last word about "a dog is a dog" but what they're trying to say is perhaps you should consider seeing if there is someone that would appreciate his company indoors, the Olde English Bull Dog as well - I can tell you now that those are NOT a breed of dog that takes overheating well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts