Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got the dogs a bunch of deer meat! For free. While I was at the deer processing store to pick up my own deer meat, I dug through that morning's scraps. I got a neck with lots of meat on it. A couple legs with hips with scrap meat still on it. Two hearts. A pair of lungs. And way too much liver. Brought it home and washed it off and went to cutting. I was able to got a good 2-3 lbs of meat off the neck. There's still tons on there that I can't get with my knife. So I'll save it for them to work the meat off themselves. I chopped up the hearts and lungs and divided into bags to freeze. I decided not to keep the liver. I was tired of chopping. And I doubt I'll ever quit feeding ZP entirely so I'm gonna let that cover liver.
I'm really happy with my free score. I was highly disgusted. The lungs felt like red jello. Yick. However, I'm tickled with myself for getting through it. And ticked for the dogs. They have some great meat in their future!

A couple questions just to make sure:
Heart is a muscle so that would be considered regular meat?

Lungs would be considered, what, organ? I bagged the lungs by themselves. So when I feed it, do I just dole it out alone or with some muscle and bone?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh gosh, I wish you'd saved that liver!!! :) Liver is one of the most nutritious nutrient dense organs you can feed. Absolutely an essential part of a raw diet. (Although if you are feeding mainly Ziwi, it would just be icing on the cake so to speak.)

Yes, hearts are fed as meat. Lung is too, although there are some that say it can count as an organ. All good.

Yep, you're good to go!! You don't necessarily have to feed meat/bones/organs at every meal though. It's balance over time. So you could feed a meal of just meat. The next day let them chew on the neck and get a good teeth/jaw workout. Maybe a smidge of organ along with some meat the next day, etc. My guess is that they won't be able to do much with the venison bones so you will have to supplement with chicken wings/necks or some other bone source.

I like to keep a supply of chicken wing tips in the freezer. They are easy to dole out when needed and have just enough bone to firm up stools if needed. Brody happily crunches through them frozen straight from the freezer. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm so jealous... I would love to have a chance to just dig through 'meat scraps' lmao. I'm going to be on the lookout this hunting season and see if anyone I know is going out hunting; most people just toss out the hearts. Never thought of lungs before; our grocer carries I think lamb lung and I never thought there was any value to it. Guess I'll pick some up next time!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I haven't thrown the liver out yet.... Still sitting on the cabinet as scraps ready to go in the garbage. Maybe I'll just freeze it since I don't feel like cutting up anymore today.

Nope. Couldn't do it. It has done got an awful smell.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow those are lucky boys to have a mummy who cares enough to do that...my Tyson would to try deer.
When my husband called from work, I couldn't wait to tell him what his normally very princess wife done! I think he was a little surprised.
Did I mention there was flies buzzing around making the whole experience worse? Used my bare hands to dig through the meat? Tromped around in blood and guts?:coolwink:

Now to put things in proper perspective after building myself up. I had to seriously talk myself down to not gag a few times. Ok, more than a few times. And I had a very hard time eating lunch. I kept telling my 9 yr old to come up with things to talk about that was no where deer related! I'm still not sure how supper will go tonight......LOL

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
When my husband called from work, I couldn't wait to tell him what his normally very princess wife done! I think he was a little surprised.
Did I mention there was flies buzzing around making the whole experience worse? Used my bare hands to dig through the meat? Tromped around in blood and guts?:coolwink:

Now to put things in proper perspective after building myself up. I had to seriously talk myself down to not gag a few times. Ok, more than a few times. And I had a very hard time eating lunch. I kept telling my 9 yr old to come up with things to talk about that was no where deer related! I'm still not sure how supper will go tonight......LOL
Oh my god.. lol hats off to you! :cheer: this post made me laugh, flies? ICK
i would die, I don't even like handling raw meat to prepare dinner.. ha ha that's hubby's job! :cool:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
OH handled the raw stuff for the first couple months. Now I'm like a kid playing with Play-Doh when I get around the raw meat LOL. I love dissecting the massive cow hearts we get... I'm so fascinated by anatomy haha.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Whole rabbits was my undoing. I thought it would be so cool for Brody to have the whole thing and was planning on just cutting it up into a bunch of meals. The head freaked me out, as did their little feet. They were just so lifelike and cute. I had a VERY hard time doing it. Ended up wasting much of it which made me feel bad, but I just couldn't do the head and I couldn't do the innards either. :(

Just didn't have the stomach for it.

Now if it's already a body part like a lung or a liver or a heart - that's great! No problem for me there. But a whole rabbit was just too hard for me to handle.

You know what part of that rabbit he loved the most??? THE EARS! I did slice them off before tossing the head and he absolutely went NUTS. I wish I had a whole bag of them, the fresh ones I mean. I have bought him dehydrated ears complete with fur but he wasn't impressed. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts