Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know how to give Lily a bath without upsetting or scaring her. I have a double sink in my kitchen. I used to put her in one sink with 3 or 4 inches of warm water and I'd use the spritzer thingie to rinse her off. It was the sound (and nearness) of the running water that freaked her out.

I just gave her a bath about an hour ago and this time I filled the 2nd sink with warm water and used that to rinse her off. No running water, no spritzer and she was as relaxed and calm as could be. I think she actually enjoyed it!

Hey, it only took me 2 1/2 years to figure it out! :shock:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
That's great to hear. Now you can both enjoy her bath time. :laughing8:

I'm lucky. Our two were fine from the first bath, probably because we got them at 9 months & 13 months of age and they were used to be being bathed by the breeder and an added bonus was they are great on the lead too. I enlist my hubby's help at bathtime & I go back & forth from laundry to bathroom to fill a large watering can with warm water to rinse them off. Any tips on how to dry them off quickly in winter? Brooke absolutely hates the hairdryer (despite the breeder saying she used to use one on her).

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i wrap chiwi in a big fluffy warm towel and hold her in it while she naps in my arms. she always sleeps right after a bath, i think it's the lavendar and chammomile shampoo i use.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Well, Gaadget hates baths in the kitchen sink. but He llikes them in the tub... the next time I give him a bath I am going to put alitttle more water in the tub and see if I can start teaching him how to swimm since I want to take him swimming this summer...

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know Lily would be scared to death of the hairdryer without even trying it on her. I just bought one of those super duper ultra absorbent towel thingies at Petsmart. It's very thin but it absorbs water like crazy. Sort of like a big flat sponge? I rubbed her all over with that, then wrapped her in one of my nice bath towels for awhile. She was still shivering so I put her fleecy sweatshirt on her and wrapped her in her blankie. She finally stopped shivering and went to sleep in my arms. :)

The flat sponge thing worked great. She normally takes forever to completely dry (especially around her neck) and that made it go much faster.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
The flat sponge thing worked great. She normally takes forever to completely dry (especially around her neck) and that made it go much faster.
Thanks for that Rachael. I shall have to see if they sell those in any of the pet stores here in NZ. It is getting colder here as our winter officially starts in June.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MissMolly said:
Glad that you found out how to give Lily a bath without her getting scared! I should try that technique with Molly!!!
You still having that problem with Molly? I swear, Lily was a different dog this time, without the running water. I never realized how much that scared her.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I just gave Gadget a bath... Didn't fill the tub full enough for him to swim.. it is too cold today for that but I still want to see if he can swim and get him used to the water before summer really gets here...

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
i wrap chiwi in a big fluffy warm towel and hold her in it while she naps in my arms. she always sleeps right after a bath, i think it's the lavendar and chammomile shampoo i use.
i do that too !! :D i wrap them in a towel and hold them till they are asleep and go watch tv like that ................they are afraid of the blow dryer :?

kisses nat

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Auggies Mom said:
I can't believe Chiwi sleeps after a bath. Auggie ALWAYS has mad zoomies after his bath :lol:
i swear i think it's the shampoo and the aromatherapy benefits of the lavender and chammomile! i used the baby shampoo with the same stuff in it when kylie was a baby and she'd be so calm and sleepy after her bath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts