crate for 1 hour and 10 mins non stop
with no signs of stopping any time soon
far out I forgot how hard this is :(
She has everything she needs, but still
she wont settle. I really hope she does soon

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Awwwww, Bless her. She is just scared and unsure right now. It is a big change for her. She will settle down and get used to things soon :)

How is honey doing with her? Maybe it would be helpful to have them in the crate together if you do not feel there will be an issue? Maybe a warm hot water bottle and a little ticking clock would help?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Put her in another room that is safe and warm with light music on. Put a blanket over her crate and put her to bed for the night. It can take quite awhile for them to settle, like I said it took Trigger well over a week. I know its not easy, but she has to learn. I would not have her share a crate with your older dog, either...she will do better off with her own space.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she settles immediately with honey
but alone she wont, I will just keep
being payient, I guess I just needed
to vent a little .

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The only caution I have is be aware if you let her spend all her time w/ Honey, she may bond to Honey instead of you...she also may annoy Honey or bother her. Some dogs will not let you know this and then just pop the puppy with a good bite, thus why until Asia is bigger, if we aren't watching her, she has her own pen, her own crate,... a dog/pup's ability to learn to be happy and content on its own is invaluable IMO.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bella did really good with crate training. At first she didn't, and she cried so much I gave in and let her sleep with me the first 2 nights, but then I did some research. What I did was put a hot water bottle with a blanket over it in the back, and then a ticking clock under the same blanket. She no longer uses the water bottle, but I still put the clock in there and I swear it helps so much! Also the blanket, she will whine if we don't have the blanket over, but with the blanket we don't hear a peep anymore!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only caution I have is be aware if you let her spend all her time w/ Honey, she may bond to Honey instead of you...she also may annoy Honey or bother her. Some dogs will not let you know this and then just pop the puppy with a good bite, thus why until Asia is bigger, if we aren't watching her, she has her own pen, her own crate,... a dog/pup's ability to learn to be happy and content on its own is invaluable IMO.
I realise that, this is the reason I am giving her time in the pen alone, and the reason she is screaming!!
After an hours and a half of relentless screaming/howling I got her out and took her back out side with me. lets hope the past few hours have tired her some.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bella did really good with crate training. At first she didn't, and she cried so much I gave in and let her sleep with me the first 2 nights, but then I did some research. What I did was put a hot water bottle with a blanket over it in the back, and then a ticking clock under the same blanket. She no longer uses the water bottle, but I still put the clock in there and I swear it helps so much! Also the blanket, she will whine if we don't have the blanket over, but with the blanket we don't hear a peep anymore!
I will not be giving in even if she screams for 36 hours lol she isnt sleeping in my bed.
I cant give her a hot water bottle as its the middle of summer here way to hot. I will go out tomorrow and buy her a clock.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Its a good thing theyre cute, eh?! To be honest I havent much enjoyed the puppy stage since I got Reese. I remember him being the perfect puppy, he probably wasnt, but he was my first dog so I enjoyed it. Miley drove me crazy until she was about 5 months old, Leo is just starting to settle down and he is nearly 6 months. Dont even get me started on our lab, Ben. I felt like I was trapped in Marley and Me, he was an absolute TERROR! Yes puppies are adorable and fun, but I feel like they all just act like "puppies" and then when they start to mature you get to see their personalities come out a lot better. Maybe its just that we have had 3 puppies in the last year and Im puppied out, but I really do prefer an adult to a puppy any day.
Hang in there though! Problems like getting them settled into their crates and a routine are very short term, things will be much easier in a few days. Shell be a fab companion for your family and for Honey for life, so putting up with a bratty puppy is worth it :) They really are WORK at this age though arent they??! I second what Kristi said too about putting her in another room in her crate if she still hasnt stopped screaming through the night in a day or two. Just set an alarm for half way through the night so you can take her out to potty, that way you can get a little sleep. Ben shrieked in his kennel almost all night for the first 3-4 nights, and the only reason he was still sleeping in our room was that we lived in a house with roommates at the time so there was no where else to put him! The odd time he would stop howling we would lie motionless in the bed, afraid to even breath unless it started him up again. We did find that he slept better with a blanket even though it was a comfortable temp in our house. Maybe stick a little blanket or a hand towel in with her that she can snuggle up under if she wants, even though its summer there you know how chis love to seek out the heat!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a good thing theyre cute, eh?! To be honest I havent much enjoyed the puppy stage since I got Reese. I remember him being the perfect puppy, he probably wasnt, but he was my first dog so I enjoyed it. Miley drove me crazy until she was about 5 months old, Leo is just starting to settle down and he is nearly 6 months. Dont even get me started on our lab, Ben. I felt like I was trapped in Marley and Me, he was an absolute TERROR! Yes puppies are adorable and fun, but I feel like they all just act like "puppies" and then when they start to mature you get to see their personalities come out a lot better. Maybe its just that we have had 3 puppies in the last year and Im puppied out, but I really do prefer an adult to a puppy any day.
Hang in there though! Problems like getting them settled into their crates and a routine are very short term, things will be much easier in a few days. Shell be a fab companion for your family and for Honey for life, so putting up with a bratty puppy is worth it :) They really are WORK at this age though arent they??! I second what Kristi said too about putting her in another room in her crate if she still hasnt stopped screaming through the night in a day or two. Just set an alarm for half way through the night so you can take her out to potty, that way you can get a little sleep. Ben shrieked in his kennel almost all night for the first 3-4 nights, and the only reason he was still sleeping in our room was that we lived in a house with roommates at the time so there was no where else to put him! The odd time he would stop howling we would lie motionless in the bed, afraid to even breath unless it started him up again. We did find that he slept better with a blanket even though it was a comfortable temp in our house. Maybe stick a little blanket or a hand towel in with her that she can snuggle up under if she wants, even though its summer there you know how chis love to seek out the heat!
Thanks so much for your reply, with the lab lol I have been told that they literally eat you out of house and home for the 1st few years, you are very brave getting a lab puppy :)
I have never been a puppy person but I know if I stick it out I will have a beautiful dog at the end of it, such a long hard road when your puppy is a brat!
She has 2 blankets in her crate even though its summer I have given her thin blankets (baby wraps) looks like I am in for a long loud night. I will let you know how we go in the morning.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Have you tried giving her her food in the crate and titbits ,so making it a lovely place to be ? A big teddy to cuddle up with,Dottie always cuddles her Teddy when she sleeps,the radio is a good idea,DAP spray helps them settle if she's anxious

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Remember that if she screams her head off.... and you go and pick her up... you are REINFORCING her behavior. So next time she will scream louder and longer. NEVER pick her up when she is hollering. Wait until she's quiet, and THEN get her out. Even if that means you have to wait.

Brody screamed his head off for almost a week. It was a good 5 or 6 nights. Started with barking and then accelerated into full blown screaming! Nothing we tried would calm him down. We exercised and played with him until he was exhausted thinking he'd sleep (nope). We made sure he pottied and had eaten and was content (nope). Tried soft blankies and a stuffed toy (nope). A little ticking clock (nope). A radio with soft music (nope). A night light (nope). NOTHING we did shut him up. So we put him in his crate in the downstairs bathroom with the door closed, the fan on, and a nightlight and a radio tuned to soft music and let him cry it out. Would wake up in the middle of the night and sure enough - we could hear him. It was HORRIBLE. But.... it finally worked. He learned to calm himself down and sleep.

On the 6th night we finally all got a good nights rest and he has been perfect ever since. You have to ride out this tough time or she will never learn how to calm herself. Do NOT put her in bed with you, unless you plan on sleeping with her for the rest of her life. She needs to learn how to sleep alone.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Lol I hate to say it but they are smart little critters. How did she do last night? I have no idea what the time difference is between here and there but I hope you managed to get some sleep :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you tried giving her her food in the crate and titbits ,so making it a lovely place to be ? A big teddy to cuddle up with,Dottie always cuddles her Teddy when she sleeps,the radio is a good idea,DAP spray helps them settle if she's anxious
yes I have tried all of that except for DAP spray, what is DAP spray?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Remember that if she screams her head off.... and you go and pick her up... you are REINFORCING her behavior. So next time she will scream louder and longer. NEVER pick her up when she is hollering. Wait until she's quiet, and THEN get her out. Even if that means you have to wait.

Brody screamed his head off for almost a week. It was a good 5 or 6 nights. Started with barking and then accelerated into full blown screaming! Nothing we tried would calm him down. We exercised and played with him until he was exhausted thinking he'd sleep (nope). We made sure he pottied and had eaten and was content (nope). Tried soft blankies and a stuffed toy (nope). A little ticking clock (nope). A radio with soft music (nope). A night light (nope). NOTHING we did shut him up. So we put him in his crate in the downstairs bathroom with the door closed, the fan on, and a nightlight and a radio tuned to soft music and let him cry it out. Would wake up in the middle of the night and sure enough - we could hear him. It was HORRIBLE. But.... it finally worked. He learned to calm himself down and sleep.

On the 6th night we finally all got a good nights rest and he has been perfect ever since. You have to ride out this tough time or she will never learn how to calm herself. Do NOT put her in bed with you, unless you plan on sleeping with her for the rest of her life. She needs to learn how to sleep alone.
I am aware of everything you said and that is what I am doing. an nothing is working for us either except the clock I am going to buy one today

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol I hate to say it but they are smart little critters. How did she do last night? I have no idea what the time difference is between here and there but I hope you managed to get some sleep :)
grrr very smart. Ok I just woke up 20 mins ago at 6:30am
had the worst nights sleep.
we also have cats and one in particular (my sons cat Chilli) is a brat during the night he will cry to be let in and out. EVERY time that cat made a noise Izzy would wake up again. I ended up falling asleep at around 4am and she was still crying. So from what I can guess she probably got maybe an hours sleep if that.
this morning I woke up to her entire pen being covered in poop and her covered in poop. the only poop on the peepad was poop paw prints.
Lets hope for a better day today. and a better sleep tonight. I took her to the toilet 4 times last night after she had her last meal and she peed 3 times and pooped once. Tonight I am going to try locking the cat out side :( maybe that will help?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I guess it is possible that she stressed herself into upsetting her tummy?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts